Last nights rabbits

Stealth Stalker

I went out on to the sportsground last night, as soon as I got through the gate I'd shot 4 bunnys

one after the other ???

Had a scoot round in the Landy and picked of a few others, then parked up along a hegde where

the majority of them are, in the space of 15 mins I'd shot another 6.

On my way out I came across another 5.

19 in total plus 1 crow. :(

post-2169-1150355371.jpg

When I was paunching them, I noticed one had a dodgy looking liver, very pale with white spots all

over it :good:

Anyone else ever come across this? what is it? Needless to say I binned the bunny. All the others were fine.

post-2169-1150356004.jpg

SS

It was no fluke Frank they were all head shot, dead before they knew it :(

You're right it is alive with em.

SS

:devil::blush: No, i ment Liver fluke :good::blush: , pretty common in bunnys. ???:lol:

Frank.

Here are some links on liver fluke:

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2002/liverfluke.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...1&dopt=Abstract

http://www.wormboss.com.au/LivePage.aspx?pageId=442

Frank. :P

I've never come across that before, it looked horrible , dose it affect them or the meat?

I'm sure I read somewhere that any animals liver with white spots should be disposed of?

SS

I often get bunnys with fluke in them and my freinds who shoot the deer, come across them too, from time to time.

They dont effect the meat, i have allways eaten the meat, never effected me yet. :(

Cook it well.

Frank.

:devil:

Where did the words go?? :good:???

Guest Patsmash

i shoot a bit of ground with cattle on and get loads of young bunnies with fluke, is there any cattle on the bit of ground you were shooting stealh stalker :drool:

I was told to always cut the liver and look for white spots, and not eat it if it has it? im sure its ok if you cook it well!

Another disease or something seems to be around here. I had to leave 3 rabbits because of it, maybe somone knows more about it?

I noticed several scab like growths on rabbits head area. Are they recovered Mixxy rabbits or something? I left them because I was unsure of the marks. Otherwise id have taken them for food..

I've seen this on my patch and I have to confess that I left the young rabbits for Mr Fox. The livers were enormous - these were half-grown little fryers and the livers were twice the size of an adult rabbit's.

If you dispose of the liver that has the fluke, you can still eat the meat, when well cooked. :drool:

Frank.

I was told to always cut the liver and look for white spots, and not eat it if it has it? im sure its ok if you cook it well!

Another disease or something seems to be around here. I had to leave 3 rabbits because of it, maybe somone knows more about it?

I noticed several scab like growths on rabbits head area. Are they recovered Mixxy rabbits or something? I left them because I was unsure of the marks. Otherwise id have taken them for food..

Sounds like a touch of mixy their Hunter. You can still eat the meat on them too, but most dont fancy it. :D:good: Me included.

Frank.

Ive had the same problem with a couple of the rabbits ive got, i think its mixy that has healed itself or in the early stages, it could be just that the rabbit has had a couple of knocks etc and caused it to scab.

Ive also come across little pockets of green water on rabbit livers, smells like algy/pond weed, quite bizaare.

Alex :drool:

Ive also come across little pockets of green water on rabbit livers, smells like algy/pond weed, quite bizaare.

Alex :D

Hi Alex the small water filled pocket as you describe is the gall bladder (it contains what is called "bile" it is used in the body to help break down fat and help with digestion) try not to burst this or get any on the liver or meat :drool: as it will give it a very bitter taste.

always try and pull it off or cut well away from it.

They dont effect the meat, i have allways eaten the meat, never effected me yet. :drool:

Cook it well.

Frank.

Frank

taken a look at your liver lately then have we? :good:

I'd say that was rabbit white spot liver disease...it's fatal in 90% of cases and contactable by humans. Better watch out or it'll get you just like bird flu did :D

They dont effect the meat, i have allways eaten the meat, never effected me yet. :unsure:

Cook it well.

Frank.

Frank

taken a look at your liver lately then have we? :yes:

I'd say that was rabbit white spot liver disease...it's fatal in 90% of cases and contactable by humans. Better watch out or it'll get you just like bird flu did :oops:

:yes: Never had bird flue, so would not know mate. :/

Anything well cooked, is fine. :blink:

Frank.

• 2 weeks later...

I have encountered the same thing before, glad to hear it isnt just me that found it.

I didnt eat the rabbit, fearing the worsed. I had a notion that it may be the remainder of mixy...but i did chemistry, forensics and toxicology in my degree, not vetinary science.

What i do think it is though is as a result of feeding on grass that has been spreyed with chemicals, basically, the liver is the area where the body transforms chmicals so that they can be excreted. It may be, as with alcohol that the liver has started to fill with fat or that there is a high level of copper in the water and that, as with some humans, this particular rabbit cannot handle such levels