Is This Breaking The Law

sitsinhedges

Sepulchre looking at your signature you don't have any section 2 guns only section 1 and air, these are required to slipped when carrying it is an oddity of our laws that sect 2 are different. Why does someone with a gun slipped (i think most people would recognise a gun slip) present less of a concern than someone with a broken shotgun?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acid house, are you a townie?

I can't imagine you live in the countryside with an attitude like that!

Harry

Acid House, if I'm out with a rifle and all my gear, I'm not carrying the slip too. Not sure you live on Earth with that attitude.

FOR THE HARD OF THINKING I'LL TRY AGAIN

If you approach a person, say in a car and open the door to remind them they have just dropped oil on your private drive or reversed over your pansies or anything else for that matter you can be prosecuted for assault if the person can prove they felt threatened.

This recently happened to a sixty year old friend of mine (he was the one opening the car door)

The six foot active fire officer who was driving the car also tried to claim physical assault because as the door opened a glove fell from the car and my friend picked it up for the driver and tossed it back in the car and it glanced off his arm and landed on his lap.

My friend thankfully only received a conditional discharge.

If an old bloke can be prosecuted for opening a car door they are going to take you to the cleaners my friends. It only takes one stinking anti to hear your shots and wander over a hill to give you a whole world of misery.

Wake up and take a little common sense advice and get your heads from up your backsides or you risk the whole shooting community losing out for a few gun hoe, I’m in the right so above the law red necked Neanderthal attitudes.

For gods sakes think how you are perceived not how you think you should be. Dead game doesn’t threaten anyone but a bloke walking past with an unfettered gun does. Like it or not its time you carried a roll up gunslip in your pocket just in case.

Regards

A brother red neck Neanderthal.............. :good:

I can't imagine wandering about with my slip just incase I might offend someone trespassing on my permission. if I see people using the right of ways I will stop what I'm doing break or sling the gun. I've never really thought about hiding myself the guns and whatever I've been shooting in fear of being caught doing something totally Legal!

If an old bloke can be prosecuted for opening a car door they are going to take you to the cleaners my friends. It only takes one stinking anti to hear your shots and wander over a hill to give you a whole world of misery.

Wake up and take a little common sense advice and get your heads from up your backsides or you risk the whole shooting community losing out for a few gun hoe, I’m in the right so above the law red necked Neanderthal attitudes.

For gods sakes think how you are perceived not how you think you should be. Dead game doesn’t threaten anyone but a bloke walking past with an unfettered gun does. Like it or not its time you carried a roll up gunslip in your pocket just in case.

Regards

A brother red neck Neanderthal.............. :good:

So they hear your shots walk over and see a man with a gun (what do they expect? on hearing gunshots?) so what do you do? If you haven't seen them? BLoke who opened the car door may have been unlucky but I have seen some very irate 60+ year olds!

Sepulchre looking at your signature you don't have any section 2 guns only section 1 and air, these are required to slipped when carrying it is an oddity of our laws that sect 2 are different. Why does someone with a gun slipped (i think most people would recognise a gun slip) present less of a concern than someone with a broken shotgun?

I don't know if you saw my post #17.(and follow up #39)

I'm not looking for an argument, this is a genuine question.

Why makes you write your above statement. There is absolutely no mention of it in the 1968 Firearms Act. Is it mentioned somewhere else that you know about - or is it just everyone knows that...

Thanks HW682

Edited by HW682

1968 Firearms Act........ http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27

no mention of being covered or not.

HW682

I totally agree about using common sense etc.

However, there is another way to look at the legislation...rather than reading it as though the law doesn't require a gun to be covered, the flip side is that there is no extra protection for being covered. In either case it is still an offence to carry in public withouy good reason.

I would like to see an earlier version of the law. I suspect it used to say something along the lines of not being alowwed to carry uncovered in public without good reason. This is probably why so many people still refer to this requirement.

It has now been ammended to simply say in public without good reason. In other words the law has been tightened up. You are now not allowed to carry covered up anywhere that you can't carry uncovered.

Totally agree though that in practice you are much more likely to get attention if uncovered, and as you said if done in a city centre would probably be charged with additional offences as well.

You are correct seems i was wrong loaded is the only term used there was an offence of an under 17 not having an airgun in a slip in public but nothing for the others (no requirement to cover) so what's this whole you can't walk inot out of shops without a slip bit come from? unless it is in a different act? Or shops just want to sell more slips?

Acid house, are you a townie?

I can't imagine you live in the countryside with an attitude like that!

Harry

I take it you mean this question. No

I can't believe they gave you a ticket with an attitude like yours. Not to mention your provocative user name nor your disregard for none shooters. It seems you want it all your own way. You want consideration from every member of the country to be able to follow your sport but won't give any to anyone else.

Its a shame, a little consideration goes a lot further than any statute.

This isn't about hiding or pretending we don't exist. It's just about consideration and not scaring the bejesus out of some nutter wandering the countryside.

I have had people walk towards me on a twenty lane target range and I mean from half a mile behind the targets obliviouse of the danger even though range marshals were having fits and blowing whistles. These people didn't need scaring any more than they were once the penny dropped. So all rifles were sleeved before the bolloking commenced.

I have also been verbally abused by a lady who was trespassing with her dog at half 6 in the morning on a closed wildfowl reserve whilst I was carrying out invited squirrel controll.

My rifle was not only sleeved but placed in a bush before I explained her error.

Consideration chaps that's all. It may come as a bit of a shock to you but not all people have even seen a gun close up, never mind know if it's safe.

I cross several roads and footpaths whilst shooting. Usually I'll just unload the gun, wait for a gap in the traffic and cross the road. No slip involved.

As someone else sdaid above, you have to justify it slipped or not. If you can justify your actions you are fine either way, if you can't then you're in trouble and a slip isn't going to help you!

You are correct seems i was wrong loaded is the only term used there was an offence of an under 17 not having an airgun in a slip in public but nothing for the others (no requirement to cover) so what's this whole you can't walk inot out of shops without a slip bit come from? unless it is in a different act? Or shops just want to sell more slips?

Thanks for replying.

As I said , I suspect it used to be mentioned before it was amended. Although looking at the online version, the only listed amendement for section 19 is F45 which is where the Anti-social behaviour act 2003 added an airgun to the list of weapons.

You are right about RFD etc. I think at least some of them honestly believe what they are saying though. My local insists on a gun being covered when walking out the shop - but will give you a free black bin bag or similar if required, so it isn't just about trying to get a sale.

I take it you mean this question. No

I can't believe they gave you a ticket with an attitude like yours. Not to mention your provocative user name nor your disregard for none shooters. It seems you want it all your own way. You want consideration from every member of the country to be able to follow your sport but won't give any to anyone else.

Its a shame, a little consideration goes a lot further than any statute.

This isn't about hiding or pretending we don't exist. It's just about consideration and not scaring the bejesus out of some nutter wandering the countryside.

I have had people walk towards me on a twenty lane target range and I mean from half a mile behind the targets obliviouse of the danger even though range marshals were having fits and blowing whistles. These people didn't need scaring any more than they were once the penny dropped. So all rifles were sleeved before the bolloking commenced.

I have also been verbally abused by a lady who was trespassing with her dog at half 6 in the morning on a closed wildfowl reserve whilst I was carrying out invited squirrel controll.

My rifle was not only sleeved but placed in a bush before I explained her error.

Consideration chaps that's all. It may come as a bit of a shock to you but not all people have even seen a gun close up, never mind know if it's safe.

Acid House,

There was not a section on the sgc/fac applications for internet forum names and if there was I doubt there would be grounds to refuse a certificate :rolleyes:

You moan about my attitude but everything I have said and do if totally within the law. If that upsets people then they should learn to live with it or go and see their MP. All of my shooting is on MY land or neighbours land and they are all friends of mine. I am considerate towards people if im out shooting but that does not mean I hide what im doing or hide the gun like you. I sometimes see people when im shooting and they usually ask whey I've shot, want to say hello to my dog or ask for some rabbits or a bird for dinner . We are surrounded by shoots and the hunting scene is very big round here. Nobody has ever had an issue, maybe that's because most people know me and know my experience with firearms and what I do for a living.

Harry

I can't believe they gave you a ticket with an attitude like yours. Not to mention your provocative user name nor your disregard for none shooters.

One thing you will learn in time fella is that all is not how it seems on internet forums. A user name is a user name, nothing more. H just picked the name because he likes to think he's a good shot! :P

Anyway, "Acid House"? Having a user name linking you to a style of music closely relating to raves and illegal drug use is hardly perfect for a firearms user right? ;)

A lot of this comes down to where you live and the people around you. I've never had any trouble from the public when shooting.... Actually yes I have but it was no fault of my own and the guy went on his way after a lengthly chat.

We don't need to hide our guns. If you look at it another way how dodgy do you think you look to someone walking over if you quickly stash your gun in the hedge and act like it's not there? Probably more so than if you just open it to show it's empty and then act like it's nothing special? It's a tool of the countryside, nothing more. Nobody is saying you should walk down the main street of your local town with your gun in full view, that really would be silly!

I walk across the road to get to some land I can shoot, just break the gun and sling over my arm or shoulder, wait fior break in traffic and the cross never put it in a slip, the police have seen me do this pulled over and asked me what i was doing told them i was walking over to my next shooting permission, they were happy and just wished me luck and off they went,as for hikers and dog walkers I just say hello I'm not doing any thing wrong, I've had a few people ask for rabbits n pigeons off me, but had one lady moan at me, but once I told her she was breaking the law as I was on my permission bout a 100 yards a way from a foot path that Borders one side on the land, she soon shut up and walked off.

no (legal if you got a cert to own the gun)

but as i have said before i do not like shooting if people are about.

They can make stuff up!

agreed -someone only only has to say that you pointed the gun at them and you will be struggling to keep your licence. if you are able to say my gun was in its slip for the entire encounter.they are having to stretch the truth a lot further. to a non shooting third party witnessing ther event from a field away you just become a man dresed in green carrying a bag having an argument with an idiot with long hair a beard and sandals rather than a man pointing a gun at a hippy !

Two experiences I've had. Me and a mate walking back to the car through a village at 7am with a taken down shotgun, and two rabbits. A police car pulls up and asked if we had been shooting because he had heard reports of poachers. We told him we had permission and he drove away.

Another time, I stopped at a friends house on a little housing estate they were out and I went to hang a Mallard next their front door, a neighbor came out, acting all horrified and threatened to ring the RSPCA and police. :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe she did.

Near here a rich fella, nearest neighbour is 1/4 of a mile away, he sleeps with a loaded shotgun next to his bed, one morning he sees a deer in his garden and shoots it dead. Next door there lives some vegans......he hangs the deer up in his garage and then an armed response unit turn up and confiscate his shotgun and the deer. No charges, he gets the gun back, the police kept the deer!

I reckon you could walk around quite lawfully with an unloaded unslipped gun in a public place, but if some distressed member of the public phones in a complaint, that police helicopter will probably ruin your days shooting!

Edited by nabbers

Huntsman sure to be right,if not anyone walking to a gunshop from their vehicle with gun in case would be breaking the law :hmm: Iv'e always thought if in a case ok :hmm:

I can remember the days when you would get a gun out of your motor and walk down the high street to the gunsmiths without raising an eyebrow, but alass those days are far away and now we have to be cleaner than clean, as said gun in slip no problem though you'll aways meet someone who thinks you should'nt be there.!!

It seems there are many responsible shooters but many out to try and prove a point.

It doesn't give me any confidence in our future with so many draconian attitudes that can't see the difference between clinically legal and respectfully acceptable.

Beligerance to the none enlightened to our gloriouse sport will no doubt be our downfall.

I don't believe in hiding our lifestyle away or the fact we relish our guns, I just feel it sometimes necessary to respect the fact some people who don't understand guns or their use become very nervouse when they come face to face with them and it's 'our' responsibility to respect that.

It remains a fact that the vast majority of voters in this country don't shoot. Each time I unslip one of my babies I thank them for allowing me to do so.

Appeasement is never the answer - see Nazi Germany. By doing more to appease people than we have to, we encourage people to push shooting more and more under the carpet.

Most people who are concerned about shooting simply don't know - popular press has not helped. Being calm and polite will do far more to help us than cowering and hiding away.

Most people who are concerned about shooting simply don't know - popular press has not helped. Being calm and polite will do far more to help us than cowering and hiding away.

Agree. :good:

I agree, I went for a walk along the canal with my mum in the snow last weekend, a red fronty pulled off a bridle way into a field (must have been 300 pigeons lifted off the crop and into the trees) out piled 3 blokes head to in camo, on with camo balaclavas and out with guns. I knew they were probably going roost shooting, (and looked like they needed to the air was blue for few seconds when they pulled up). As we walked past they looked guilty and nervous, decidely shifty..... few minutes later heard a few shots and the air went blue again as the pigeons all lifted off from the wood!

But i can see how others would have felt nervous or intiminated by the scene (not helped by the fact at least one gun wasn't broken.... I explained what was about to happen to my mum (who is always nervous around guns) but i had no idea if they had any right to be there

It's not illegal; but what you actually do, and what any bystanders or any police called say you do with it unslipped may be very different... Some people find the sight of a broken gun 'threatening' and if Mr Plod doesn't like the look of you, who do you think he is going to believe when someone says that they felt 'threatened' by a, 'man with a gun?'

Edited by Wharf Rat

• 2 weeks later...

i understand that its not illegal to carry an unloaded shotgun in public view but heres a story worth thinking about a bloke was out shooting near to us and his permission was either side of the M55 motorway he crossed using a footbridge with an unloaded shotgun broken and if i remember rightly broken barrels but lancashire constabulary were inundated with call sof a gunman by the M55 which resulted in the dispatched the force heli being scrambled and the motorway being shut for 3 hours until the area was deemed "safe" so as food for thought its maybe easier to slip the gun if your going to be near a road as its not gonna spoil your days shooting slipping the gun but i am sure being jumped by the ARU and havin a police helicopter hovering above you would almost certainly ****** up your days sport :yes:

Edited by beeredup