Battery

stugun

A magnet uses aproximately 2 amps per hour with real birds, less if you use say Hypeflaps, so a 17 amp battery will give you 8.5 hrs using those numbers.

I personally use 15 amp electric wheelchair batteries giving me an hour less use time but saves almost 1.5kg's in weight over a 17 amp battery.

Another option is to use smaller batteries like a 7amp knowing you will need to walk back to the car to change them over.

And the lightest smallest and by far the most expensive route is to use lithium batteries. You can use the same maths to work out what you need regards usage time but they are much more expensive.

Hope this helps

Cos

Edited by Cosd

A magnet uses aproximately 2 amps per hour with real birds, less if you use say Hypeflaps, so a 17 amp battery will give you 8.5 hrs using those numbers.

I personally use 15 amp electric wheelchair batteries giving me an hour less use time but saves almost 1.5kg's in weight over a 17 amp battery.

Another option is to use smaller batteries like a 7amp knowing you will need to walk back to the car to change them over.

And the lightest smallest and by far the most expensive route is to use lithium batteries. You can use the same maths to work out what you need regards usage time but they are much more expensive.

Hope this helps

Cos

Hi cos,

thanks very much for your detailed advice, many thanks to all replys!!!!

regards Stu

How long do you want to go shooting for??

I use a 10ah deben tracer lampoon pack

It works for around 5/6 hours easy and it means I don't have to buy battery's for separate uses. ( lamping and pigeon shooting)

Either that or ask an electrician for old fire alarm battery's A lot of the time they are about 4 ah 12v and up. You could wire 2 up in parallel

These battery's are usually changed as a matter of caution after 3 years having never done any work and will give you plenty of use before thy are ready for the bin

Just get a charger out of maplins or use an old panel or power supply..

Adding to the above about old fire alarm batteries, you'll find these and similar at your local tip/recycling centre which should have a point for dumping old batteries. There's a cage pallet full at ours and there always some 12 volt dry cell ones in there. I helped myself to one once (having asked one of the site staff) charged it and it was fine :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Adding to the above about old fire alarm batteries, you'll find these and similar at your local tip/recycling centre which should have a point for dumping old batteries. There's a cage pallet full at ours and there always some 12 volt dry cell ones in there. I helped myself to one once (having asked one of the site staff) charged it and it was fine :good:

i do this too, got a huge BMW battery, use it for the horse fence or jumping the car, just take a multimeter along ;)

Gents

I can confirm that Bakerboy is not on commission; he is however a very satisfied customer.

I receive many enquiries from PW members for batteries. I appreciate that the cost of postage can be prohibitive, but when you consider your time and the cost of running a car, £13 for postage inc vat for 2 off 7Ah batteries delivered next working day, signed for isn't bad.

I sell Yuasa batteries, their specification and quality tends to be far higher than many of the batteries sold in some gun shops, on line, and in many of the establishments frequently mentioned on PW when posts such as this one crops up.

The average shooter has no way of knowing if he is buying a quality battery or not. Batteries of the same claimed capacity look very similar, and you can't see inside. Weight is a good indicator of how much lead has been used to construct the battery. Many security companies buy the cheapest battery that they can get their hands on, afterall, it only has to last a little over 12 months to see it outside the warranty period, when it fails they sell another cheap battery. The Yuasa product that I sell has a 5 year life expectancy if correctly maintained, sadly few shooters, often myself, fail to look after their batteries correctly. Lead acid batteries should NOT be fully discharged prior to charging. They SHOULD BE tricle charged with the appropriate charger as soon as possible after use, and then charged prior to use. Many batteries are ruined by shooters who utilise completeley the wrong type of charger, and or cook the battery by charging at too high a current for too long a time. If the battery case has bulged you've cooked it.

I sell high quality batteries to shooters at budget prices. I do my best, but can't promise to always be the cheapest; but cheapest is very rarely the best.

webber

Edited by webber

When I was looking to buy new batteries, Webber gave me a lot of useful advice, frank and honest, at times could have talked himself out of a sale.

The batteries I purchased, and the information I received have stood the test of time.

Edited by bakerboy

Gents

I can confirm that Bakerboy is not on commission; he is however a very satisfied customer.

I receive many enquiries from PW members for batteries. I appreciate that the cost of postage can be prohibitive, but when you consider your time and the cost of running a car, £13 for postage inc vat for 2 off 7Ah batteries delivered next working day, signed for isn't bad.

I sell Yuasa batteries, their specification and quality tends to be far higher than many of the batteries sold in some gun shops, on line, and in many of the establishments frequently mentioned on PW when posts such as this one crops up.

The average shooter has no way of knowing if he is buying a quality battery or not. Batteries of the same claimed capacity look very similar, and you can't see inside. Weight is a good indicator of how much lead has been used to construct the battery. Many security companies buy the cheapest battery that they can get their hands on, afterall, it only has to last a little over 12 months to see it outside the warranty period, when it fails they sell another cheap battery. The Yuasa product that I sell has a 5 year life expectancy if correctly maintained, sadly few shooters, often myself, fail to look after their batteries correctly. Lead acid batteries should NOT be fully discharged prior to charging. They SHOULD BE tricle charged with the appropriate charger as soon as possible after use, and then charged prior to use. Many batteries are ruined by shooters who utilise completeley the wrong type of charger, and or cook the battery by charging at too high a current for too long a time. If the battery case has bulged you've cooked it.

I sell high quality batteries to shooters at budget prices. I do my best, but can't promise to always be the cheapest; but cheapest is very rarely the best.

webber

Hi Webber,

That was useful info.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread as this is just as important as choosing the right battery.

Can you explain a little more about "the right charger". I personally just have the transformer plug type battery charger which I got years ago along with batteries and a magnet. It is an 800ma charger.

Is this OK for looking after my batteries? On Saturday I took two batteries with me and plugging one onto the magnet it was completely dead, didn't even move the magnet. I haven't tried charging it again to be fair, but presuming it wasn't just me forgetting to charge it, can they be brought back to life? I can get my hands on a very good quality charger at my cousins garage if I need to.

I have about 7 batteries in total and always taken it for granted that they are OK until this happened on Saturday; One thing I have just learned reading your post was that even when you charge the battery you should charge it again before use! My charger has a red LED which lights up when battery is charged; Presuming I charged it the week before and I plug it in again the day before I go shooting, the LED will instantly light up! Should I just leave it on charge again? If so, how long for>

Thanks in advance

Edited by Cosd

• 2 weeks later...

Gents

webber

Hi all,

help please, im after a good reasonably small long life battery for my Pigeon Magnet!!!

any advice???

regards Stu

dont know what any 1 else thinks but as a caravanner howabout go to maplins 20 quid gets a solar trickle charger so u actually charge the battery as u flap,a :lol: nd there as heavy asa wet ****

• 3 months later...

Webber can you give us some advice on chargers for these type of batteries you sell?

The charge rate of your charger should not exceed 25% of the battery capacity.

I'm happy to quote for chargers but need to know the Ah of your battery.

webber

• 2 weeks later...