Britannia?

hedd-wyn

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get a bit irritated when on courses in England and am described as coming form Ireland. I have to point out that i come form N Ireland.

totally agree. They are two different places i certainly come from northern ireland and not ireland and i also consider myself British.

I find this whole 'proud to be...' whatever a bit puzzling. I mean just because my parents ****** and then I was born in a certain place doesn't have any basis of pride whatsoever for me.

I can understand pride based on a community, a family group, pride in one's achievements or those of your nearest and dearest yes, but pride in a simple geographical concept or a line on a map? Nah.

Don't get me wrong I love Britain....England, Wales, have limited experience of Scotland but what I've seen of it I liked. Never been to NI.

But what, specifically is there in this day and age to be proud of exactly? I'm not trying to be devisive, I'm genuinely interested in knowing why people say they're proud to be British/English whatever.

We're all in a melting pot of one kind or another.

I'm proud to be a Yorkshire man.

I don't feel any affinity to most parts of England, I don't feel any form of alligiance to someone from Kent, Gloucester, Cheshire, Leicester etc. anymore than I do a Scot - in fact as I like the highlands of Scotland I probably feel more of an alligiance to them than some English.

I do percieve myself to be distinctly different to the Welsh, never really hit it off with any Welsh no idea why.

I have been good friends with Irish lads but again see a distinct difference from myself.

I find this whole 'proud to be...' whatever a bit puzzling. I mean just because my parents ****** and then I was born in a certain place doesn't have any basis of pride whatsoever for me.

I can understand pride based on a community, a family group, pride in one's achievements or those of your nearest and dearest yes, but pride in a simple geographical concept or a line on a map? Nah.

Don't get me wrong I love Britain....England, Wales, have limited experience of Scotland but what I've seen of it I liked. Never been to NI.

But what, specifically is there in this day and age to be proud of exactly? I'm not trying to be devisive, I'm genuinely interested in knowing why people say they're proud to be British/English whatever.

We're all in a melting pot of one kind or another.

Nothing wrong with being proud of your Identity mate.

I am Welsh/Celtic and proud of it because 'Britain' was originally a celtic island and Welsh is my first language, English second.

There was a time when Gallic, Gaelic, Cornish, Breton, and Welsh were the same language but has changed over hundreds of years (there's my reason)

Hope this is a good enough for you fella.

PS the original post asked what do you consider yourself to be, not how proud you are of your identity, and you have alrady answered that, so thank you :good:

Nothing wrong with being proud of your Identity mate.

I am Welsh/Celtic and proud of it because 'Britain' was originally a celtic island and Welsh is my first language, English second.

There was a time when Gallic, Gaelic, Cornish, Breton, and Welsh were the same language but has changed over hundreds of years (there's my reason)

Hope this is a good enough for you fella.

PS the original post asked what do you consider yourself to be, not how proud you are of your identity, and you have alrady answered that, so thank you :good:

I'm not actually Nigerian. That was a joke. It's just that threads like this ALWAYS go one way with the 'proud' people announcing it and all I'm asking is what it is about XYZ country that makes them proud.

I AM proud of my identity as such, what I'm saying is that I have a strong suspicion that had I been born French, American, South African or whatever I'd be equally proud of myself, but for ME, not a notion of state, race, nationality or whatever.

Just a different way of thinking I guess. No worries :)

Edited by Thunderbird