shep whites

UK fowler

four great flights after the inland shooting finished

Feb 8th evening flight one drake golden eye.three pintail(two drakes) and a teal

feb 9th evening flight four pintail (two drakes)

feb 13th morning flight one drake mallard two wigeon three pintail

feb 14th morning flight one drake mallard one drake pintail six wigeon

post-21002-0-98102500-1329395833.jpgthe birds from the last two flights the cock wigeon were in fantastic condition the colours were just stunningand the drake golgen eye was a first for me so that will stay with me for a long time and what was the best part I had the place to myself not another car in the car park only a few shots ringing out from frampton

think thats me done for this year :good:

all the best UK

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped visiting Shep Whites in the 1970s when it was not unusual to arrive two hours before dawn and find twenty cars in the car park. you had to walk miles down the bank to find a spot, and at dawn it was like a war.

Hope its better now.

Ditto - I was a member for years, after seven years on the waiting list, then it got ridiculous.

On my last flight there - About 1982 from memory - I counted 27 cars and went home - And that was on a weekday too.

I went back there two years ago - bought a day in an online auction - and had a super day out with the marsh manager.

Hardly saw a soul all day.

Everyone would be chasing the geese, in the end the geese just left and the marsh has only just started to recover from those days. This is also helped by some of the farms behind the sea wall leaving the sugar beet tops for longer. I remember the race to Andersons Creek, it was know locally as the 'Andersons Run'. The shape of the marsh also changed not long after, the horseshoes had new banks constructed in front of them and the 'burrow pits' dug out and sea defences put in place. My favourite spot (The Hilton..between the horseshoes) had gone forever.

Thankfully we get a few Geese again now, and with the help of one of the clubs who have bred Mallard the number of duck has picked up. Maybe it wont ever get back to the numbers of the 70's & 80's but is that such a bad thing ? There are still a few places to be had for perspective new members but I can see that changing again if we are fortunate enough to have those wonderful geese visit Sheps again.

27 cars? What's so good about the place?? Only thing that springs to my mind is that shepp whites is in that 'Kenzie wild goose man' book...?

It wasn't so much the numbers of geese. (About 6,000 average for a year on the whole Wash area).

Membership of the coastal clubs had been opened up during the 70's. This was mainly at the insistance of BASC/WAGBI.

Up 'till then everyone new everyone else. After that nobody new anybody. Half a dozen memberhsip cards in , say, Sheffield were being used every single day of the week by someone. Marsh Cowboys were everywhere.

On the marsh at Centre Concret on the Fenland foreshore I heard:

Bang - Splatt - Go fetch - Good boy - Hey Bert that's a pretty one, I wonder what it is!

I went home...

Edited by Grandalf

• 4 weeks later...

Just trying to visualising the area when I used to go in the 70"s , little rough car park with sea wall to right with a concrete pill box on it , up on the sea wall turn left then remember Kenzies boat moored to our right , followed the sea wall along to a cresent/horeshoe and that the area where we use to shoot .

Is the geography still the same or has it changed ? , think I have got a couple of pics that I can dig out .

Edit * Just speaking to my brother about it , he says it was Gedney Drove End where we used to park the car and get on the sea wall and Shep Whites was much further down , way past the horseshoe .

Julian

Edited by Zulu

Julian, Kenzies houseboat was on Sheps and the Pill boxes are still there in Sheps car park as you described. The Crescent shapes in the sea wall are still there (1st & 2nd Horseshoes) but you no longer have to walk around them. There is a bank built across the front of them now. This was done in the early 80's if my memory hasnt let me down, the same time as they dug out the 'burrow pits' as part of the sea defence projects. The marsh has changed in many ways, some of the creeks I used to hop across when I first started fowling are now only crossable when there's no tide, they have gone from 4 ft wide to 15ft wide and a lot deeper. My favourite spot between the horseshoes (The Hilton) has long gone.

Edited by ayano3