Lovefilm Instant v Netflix

JR1960

Was talking with some American colleagues about this the other day. They really rate Netflix. Hardly any streaming issues (even HD with Dolby) and the films start within 30 seconds of requesting them. I guess the major limiting factor is your internet circuit. They were saying it works fine with the 50Mb service. The only downside to the net services was there wasn't as much choice compared to the disc/post service.

Was talking with some American colleagues about this the other day. They really rate Netflix. Hardly any streaming issues (even HD with Dolby) and the films start within 30 seconds of requesting them. I guess the major limiting factor is your internet circuit. They were saying it works fine with the 50Mb service. The only downside to the net services was there wasn't as much choice compared to the disc/post service.

Whilst not being naive enough to believe the hype, they recommend a minimum of 0.5Mb connection, that's a bit of a jump from 50Mb!!

Just tested mine and it seems to be running at about 5Mb

???

I've just dumped Lovefilm for Netflix.

Whilst they each have pros and cons, It's easier for me to use Netflix with an Apple TV and just stream everything, rather than waiting for the DVD to arrive and using up my limit.

I tried the LoveFilm online and I didn't rate it at all. Membership needed an upgrade to enable it on my PS3 (to the £10 level) and ultimately had an awful back catalogue.

I'm going with Netflix for the Prison Break, 24 and other long series.

Yep, seems like a no brainer if its as simple to get out of as they say. Lovefilm seem to want £5/month but then charge you £3/4 pay per view for anything that's worth watching......

Well.. Trying to cancel with LoveFilm isn't easy. They push a hard bargain and cut your monthly spend. Along with that, they keep you holding for ages to see if you cancel the call.

Just keep saying you want to cancel and eventually they'll give in (15-20 mins)

Edited by Billy.

Well.. Trying to cancel with LoveFilm isn't easy. They push a hard bargain and cut your monthly spend. Along with that, they keep you holding for ages to see if you cancel the call.

Just keep saying you want to cancel and eventually they'll give in (15-20 mins)

According to Netflix you can "Cancel at any time with just 3 clicks online — no hassles" Be nice to think its true......

Anyway, I think I can see which way this is going....thanks for the answers guys. :good:

I tried Love film.... VERY VERY limited streaming content and a very confusing interface.. I am currently in the free trial period with Netflix... Better interface and slightly more content but still very limited... Considdering canning it!

Scarily I am once again in sync with Vipa! :lol::rolleyes: great minds and all that!

I have Netflix and joined using quidco and got £15 back through them. The titles are not the latest but plenty of enjoyable stuff on it. I asked the 'which is better' question and Netflix seems to be the better within my friend circule. We are enjoying it at the moment, only time will tell if we carry on using it.

Ive found Netflix to be not so bad. My connection is running at approx 8 Mbits, or 1MB, depending on how you like to read it and it streams hd content no problem. Shows come up on 20-30 seconds and so far had no buffering during. The content is pretty limited but seems to be growing all the time. So far so good but that might change once I work my way through the catalogue.

Thinking of ditching Sky movies, **** content and only watch around one a month, thought about buying a net streamer, either Apple or seen several other wireless streamers on Ebuyer but would need to get BT INFINETY around £35 per month with their line rental and unlimited connection, offering me 35m download speed.

Sad thing is, i work for Virginmedia but their service is not in my my area, we get really good rates. These next coming months they are to offer 150m upload and download which no other network can offer.

They are spending millions of pounds to upgrade their network during the next few months. BT can never compete because the last connection to your house is 0.5mm copper, whcih is like having 6 inch pipe work to your local drain but only 2" to your house.

Cable tv install high capacity coax cable from their firer cabinets to your house.

Sorry, not a advert for cable but untill BT offer direct fiber to your door, they will never bev able to compete.That will cost a fortune but i think i read some thing last week stating that is what they will offer soon.

For any one in the business will know offering fibre direct your front door will cost hundreds of pounds due to the complex equipment required to convert light signals to normal digal ones.

PCM,PDH, SHD, WDMD, ect. Google these and you will realise what is involved.

Technology these day's allows data to pass through a single fibre bith way's using only the colours blue and red, blue forward and red reverse,[sendind, receiving ] even splitting down the colours into different shades allowing massive of data, to flow through one single fibre. The equipment to alllow this cost's millions of pounds of equipment to install.

There is no limit to the amount of data we can send through one fibre, the only limitation at the moment is the speed of the lasers and cooling them.

SOS if this boores you but what is the best box to get netflix, not laptop or ganes consoles but an independant unit?

I was thinking about trying that offer but need to figure out how to watch it, I've got an Xbox 360 connected to web so just need to have a play with it and see if that will work.

Anyone know what the sound quality is like?

Just ended my free love film trial on the Xbox to try the Netflix one, the sound quality was as good as normal terrestrial TV on my xbox but not surround sound. :good:

It worked very well, but I do have a 37 MBPS download speed so I do have a good stream.

Hearing anything over the fan of my Xbox is another matter. :angry: