Yellowjacket Failures (22lr)

Hi folks,

I went out this afternoon for a plinking session with the CZ (and also to zero in the scope). I usually use Winnie SuperX's when shooting Rabbits but a mate reccomended The Remington Yellowjackets for a bit more stopping power. Any how I bought a box with the intention of checking their grouping around the 80 - 90 yard mark, and I wish I hadn't bothered.

The grouping seemed ok but the problem was getting the damn things to fire. Out of 30 trigger pulls with them, approx 20 fired and the other 10 were mis fires. I gave each failure about 10 seconds then cocked the bolt and tried again but none of them fired (even tried the opposite side of the rim with no luck).

I fired 50 Winnie super X's and around 30 CCI subs during the same session with no problem at all so I think there may be a problem with the batch of ammo or else its just bad stuff altogether.

Has anyone had any problems with this these rounds? It would be a decent enough round for rabbits if it was more reliable.

Below are two of the faulty rounds

IMG-20120219-00281.jpg

Group brilliantly in my Sako Finnfire (~0.4in at 50m), never had any misfires either. Bit difficult to tell from the photo but perhaps they need a little more of a kick as the bases don't seem to be very indented. You could try them in another make of rifle, as hammer type, distance the firing pin travels, strength of the firing mechanism may mean that they aren't being struck hard enough??

I bought a brick 20years go and they where good but not now! Even the mag ammo can misire!

I was going to suggest a little more pin travel or make sure there is no crud in the bolt but from your brill pic's it looks like they are getting struck good enough x

U.

No need for the kiss at the end underdog....we are all mostly heterosexual males :lol:

I've had a few duff rounds of late too. I've been looking on several sites and one large USA based one has a very informative thread titled 'Improved ignition=better groups!' which discusses using stronger springs and (on page 10) shows how the pin strike should look. Mine looks like the 'before' and definately not the 'after' modification. However, as I only have real issues with one brand, I'll not fettle.

I found the Remington 1500ft sec HP Yellow jackets to be about the best HV ammo in my CZ 452.

I have just bought some Rem subs to help break in my new .22lr Semi and they are useless, they have all gone off, but several with a phut and a big drop, rather than a bang.

There will always be issues with barrels and ammo, and bad batches of ammo will always turn up!

No need for the kiss at the end underdog....we are all mostly heterosexual males :lol:

Chuffin' nora! how'ed I do that?

Married wiv a kid me (deep cough) :angry::huh:

I don't know about a CZ, another picture would be nice,but alot of rimmy pins are flat and use a flat shoulder to stop the pin travel inside the bolt. This is used in the factory to adjust the pin travel. Stoning it with a sharpening stone will give it just a couple of thou more and it may be just what it needs. It has worked for me in the past.

Some target guy's make a huge fuss over rim thickness, one of the reasons is to get a consistant ignition, varying rim thicknes can hinder,,,

U.

Chuffin' nora! how'ed I do that?

Married wiv a kid me (deep cough) :angry::huh:

I don't know about a CZ, another picture would be nice,but alot of rimmy pins are flat and use a flat shoulder to stop the pin travel inside the bolt. This is used in the factory to adjust the pin travel. Stoning it with a sharpening stone will give it just a couple of thou more and it may be just what it needs. It has worked for me in the past.

Some target guy's make a huge fuss over rim thickness, one of the reasons is to get a consistant ignition, varying rim thicknes can hinder,,,

U.

Im afraid I have destroyed them since, sorry. I did open one up with the Dremel (after removing the bulet and powder ofcourse) And there didnt appear to be any priming compound. The next one I get ill endeavour to do a cross section for you. I really dont think it would be the pin as the rifle fires everything else consistently. I could be wrong tho.

Im afraid I have destroyed them since, sorry. I did open one up with the Dremel (after removing the bulet and powder ofcourse) And there didnt appear to be any priming compound. The next one I get ill endeavour to do a cross section for you. I really dont think it would be the pin as the rifle fires everything else consistently. I could be wrong tho.

No need to say sorry friend, you don't owe me an apology :good:

Best wishes.

U.