Proposal Ideas

ollie

Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming :good: .

I think I have possibly painted a bad picture of her; she is not a damanding girl in any way and she is usually really easy going, lets me go shooting when I want and see my mates when I want.

The reason she didn't want proposed to on a special occasion is because she wants the date of the engagement to be remembered for one thing and that is the proposal. Also I can see why she would want it to be perfect because she has to tell her friends etc for the rest of her life how she was proposed to.

I have no doubts that she is the one and on this occasion I have no problem with her saying what she doesn't want me to do.

I booked a weekend away in a nice hotel on the North Norfolk coast (a place where I spent most of my weekends aged 17-23) and after dinner went for a walk along the beach (Brancaster). It was a stereotypically stormy evening and the beach was deserted so I just dropped onto one knee and rattled off a load of gibberish (the content of which I have zero recollection) after which she said yes. Knocked her for six, she had no idea I was going to ask her. 10 years married this year!

This was probably the only thing I've done in my life that I would call vaguely romantic!

Mrs Zapp was 6 months pregnant and we were unmarried when I was based in Lincs. I was called into my bosses office and given a posting order for Northern Ireland in 2 months time.

As such, my proposal was "I'm getting posted to NI and if you want to come with me we need to get married, fast".

So it was that we got married in October, I went to NI in November (on my own so she could be looked after by her Mum while I sorted the house out etc) and our son was born in December, after which we all moved over.

I dont recommend it though, she has never let me forget it :sly::oops:

I think I have possibly painted a bad picture of her; she is not a damanding girl in any way and she is usually really easy going, lets me go shooting when I want and see my mates when I want.

The reason she didn't want proposed to on a special occasion is because she wants the date of the engagement to be remembered for one thing and that is the proposal. Also I can see why she would want it to be perfect because she has to tell her friends etc for the rest of her life how she was proposed to.

I have no doubts that she is the one and on this occasion I have no problem with her saying what she doesn't want me to do.

be careful of this - It means yet another day per year that either you forget and are in the doghouse or it affects your wallet adverseley.

Do a careful recce of the location - i once proposed out in the country and for the rest of our relationship (4 years) the girl would winge about the washing machine dumped in the corner of the field(and made no reference to the beauty of the location of the place i'd chosen)

Good on you both and whatever you decide - go for it! I am really sad that there are so many on here who have had relationships that have made them bitter and suspicious of women and marriage in general, so here's a vote for the other side, my wife wouldn't have wanted a public event either, because she felt that events like this were private and special, and she was very easily embarrassed. We had 29 great years together, so don't be put off. I proposed on a quiet evening when we both had some time together from work, as we lived 60 miles away from each other at the time, great memories! :good:

Good on you both and whatever you decide - go for it! I am really sad that there are so many on here who have had relationships that have made them bitter and suspicious of women and marriage in general, so here's a vote for the other side, my wife wouldn't have wanted a public event either, because she felt that events like this were private and special, and she was very easily embarrassed. We had 29 great years together, so don't be put off. I proposed on a quiet evening when we both had some time together from work, as we lived 60 miles away from each other at the time, great memories! :good:

Thanks for the advice mate. It does seem that a lot of people on here have a negative view on marriage, but I think this might be partly due to the amount of time we spend shooting. I have already told the other half that shooting was there before her and it'll be there when we are married so she knows what to expect :oops: .

Hi all. I am thinking of popping the question to my girlfriend later on this year and at present I am trying to come up with romantic ideas on how to do it. She has already warned me not to do it on special occasions (i.e. birthdays, valentines, christmas or anniversaries) and she has also said that she doesn't want it done in public (i.e. restaurant).

My idea at the moment is to either go away for a weekend in a foreign city or go away to somewhere in Ireland for the weekend. She is obsessed with picnics so I had thought about renting out a cottage for a weekend and then whether permitting have a picnic in a favourable spot where I can then say my speel and pop the question.

I would just like to know how all you guys did it so I can maybe pick up some tips. Also the location that you did it and any other pointers :good:

So, she is expecting it anyway then, just seems like she is testing you, the picnic seems a bit obvious. Take her shooting, clean a rabbit and miraculously produce a ring from inside it!

I proposed live on air, the world got to hear, fortunately ( :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm: ) she said yes!!

Edited by Dekers

The picnic is a good idea,i asked the other half one Sunday night in Lisburn standing in the lashing rain waiting on the bus home,she said yes,and 18 years were still happy,so go for it ollie, ya never know your luck :good:

Heavens above - you really are an old softie - at a bus stop, in pouring rain and in LISBURN of all places - I suppose LURGAN [think spades*] would have been worse.

Anyway well done and you must have got something right if you are still happy after 18 years.....

* if you are not from NI, you probably won't get the meaning of "Lurgan Spade". :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, she is expecting it anyway then, just seems like she is testing you, the picnic seems a bit obvious. Take her shooting, clean a rabbit and miraculously produce a ring from inside it!

I proposed live on air, the world got to hear, fortunately ( :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm: ) she said yes!!

Yeh to be honest she probably is expecting it and we have talked about getting married, but the reason I am on is trying to get better ideas from a picnic.

The shooting idea is out; I took her lamping one night and she was good at holding the lamp, but I headshot a rabbit (que the acrobatics from Mr. Bunny) and she started shouting Ollie it is still alive look at it jumping :lol: