Water meters

petethegeek

Now thats the way forward - get a borehole £3-4k and all the water you can use for nothing. Add a septic tank or a rush pit (SDS) and your water bill is negligible.

If you have room and can afford it, go for a wind turbine 40 MW type. Buy 40 acres and hobby farm. Make sure you have at least 4 acres of woodland and all you have to pay is your Council Tax. The food you grow will taste better and life will get better all round. At least thats a bit of my dream.

Nice lol a borehole in the ground next to the septic tank releasing **** water :(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice lol a borehole in the ground next to the septic tank releasing **** water :(

There is obviously a separation in distance and level to ensure you dont drink anything untoward - one place had his borehole 1/4 mile from his tank which outflowed to a stream - remember quality of discharge has to be acceptable. Depends whether you have a perched water table - I could bore (excuse the pun) you to death with it.

There is obviously a separation in distance and level to ensure you dont drink anything untoward - one place had his borehole 1/4 mile from his tank which outflowed to a stream - remember quality of discharge has to be acceptable. Depends whether you have a perched water table - I could bore (excuse the pun) you to death with it.

I'm winding you up :)

Utility companies operate simply for a profit. They don't fit expensive metering equipement because they think that it means we can all pay them less in the long term.

Whenever a house is bought/sold now it has a compulsary meter fitted. I doubt they are doing it for ****s and giggles!

I'm quids in with the water meter. Last year our projected water rates for the year would have been £730.,now with the meter its£200 for the year. No contest. On another note, I'm astonished about the charity adverts for helping people abroad that go along the lines of Donate only 2p per day and this will give a family fresh water for a month. How does that work, perhaps we should all have some of that.... from Auntie.

Just to give a quick update having originally started the thread.

We did decide to go ahead and get a meter installed. I haven't got round to doing all the calculations yet, but at a rough estimate we are now paying approximately 2/3rds what we would have been had we continued unmetered.

Utility companies operate simply for a profit. They don't fit expensive metering equipement because they think that it means we can all pay them less in the long term.

Whenever a house is bought/sold now it has a compulsary meter fitted. I doubt they are doing it for ****s and giggles!

I notice around here, that large houses with potentially large "populations" are already on meters. Low occupancy houses, such as the retirement cottage where my father lives alone, have to request their meter. Coincidental? I think not.

I had a water meter fitted back in the 1990's. I was told to continue using water as per normal, and not to 'skimp' on it. I believe that I am saving a few £100 a year in charges. When the meter was fitted, it was just myself and my 2 children. Now it's just my wife and myself. We hose the patio down regulary, jet wash our cars, and have always got the washing machine on. But we don't let taps drip etc.

My opinion is that everyone should have a meter fitted. Like gas and electric, the more you use, the more you pay

I pay approx £435 less per year than my elderly parents who live 10 doors away in the same street as me, and I use a hell of a lot more water than they do. I've told them for many years, to have a meter fitted, but they just ignore my advice.

I was told by the water company not to get one because we had two kids!!

If you are using it normally and saving money I think we should get one as well, one of ours has left home.

As mentioned in a previous post, I use quite a lot of water, and still save on our yearly bill. And, as I pay for what I use, there's never any taps dripping inside or outside of my house.

I would recommend having one fitted.

We decided to have a water meter fitted because our water rates included a sewerage charge, and we have a septic tank. There are only two of us and our water dd is £17 a month. Straight away we stopped paying about £100 sewerage charge.

This was about 25 years ago, and although at that time we had to pay for one to be fitted we have never regretted it.