Humane despatch

WoodyPopper

I have used the same method for about 40 years.

Not really 100% certain what I do because it's just sort of instinct. I have the bird's neck between my fore finger and second finger, with the head in the palm of my hand, then just a light clockwise flick of my wrist, and the birds neck is broke, and its instantly dead. :yes:

Its the power of the flick of the wrist that I suppose might take a bit of getting used to, because it is only a gentle flick really, but effective.

I worked on a turkey farm for some time and have certainly killed a few!

If you just break the neck, as many of you have described, you don’t necessarily kill the bird!

There are two parts to the process. Firstly breaking the spinal cord (physically breaking the neck) but more importantly breaking the main artery to the head. When you put the head between first and second finger and then pull back and away the neck bones separate. KEEP pushing away a bit further once you feel the click. This stretches and breaks the artery and actually kills the bird.

The most humane method is to cut the throat. OK not very practical in the field but I can assure you the bird is dead in no more than two seconds (unconscious). If in doubt use a priest!

I remember vividly the first one I did - it was an Aylesbury duck and a family pet. I’d received noise complaints from the council and this particular duck was the culprit (typical women – couldn’t keep it buttoned). I had already been working on the farm but never killed however I was well appraised with the method (so I thought).

Went home one lunch time whilst the wife was out. Grabbed the duck and took it into my workshop. Tucked it under my left arm, grabbed the head between the first and second finger and pushed downwards. I pushed xxxx hard but nothing! It struggled and I had to reposition under my arm where it promptly gave me a load of ‘verbal’. I tried again but with no success. By now emotions were starting to weal up inside of me – I didn’t want it to suffer. Pulling myself together I was more positive and third time lucky.

All I will say is don’t ‘pussy-foot’ – be positive and just do it as quick as possible.

I’ve now dispatched thousands of turkeys, chickens, ducks and geese and I still don’t like it!

Pulling a trigger is one thing – doing it by hand is another!

My mother was instructed by old Mr Pettit of Pettits of Reedham fame on how best to kill chickens, she broke the neck of half a dozen or so, chucking them on the floor beside her after breaking their necks. "Now what do I do?" she asked "You can go and bloody find them!" came the response.

Use a priest, easy, quick and efficient and easy to carry.

I've tried the back pressure point the flick and spin and priest . Now though I hold the bird and put two fingers round the neck hold it back ie beak to the sky and stretch it til the neck breaks. The flick and twist is ok but I find you loose a few heads !

Here's my method:

Imagine you are trying to stretch a rope or hosepipe out in you garden, you know that flicking movement you'd make with your wrist that would send a hump along the hose and remove any kinks along the way? Well hold the pigeon by the head and do that same whipping motion with your hand, the pigeon will jerk up and down once and be dead as a post.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

It's important to note that just because the bird becomes still after your head twist, flick or whirl method, it doesn't mean that it's dead. There's every probability that it's just paralysed unless as somebody else said, you actually severed the artery. Crushing the brain is the most sure way, whether you bite it, squeeze it or use a priest...

1zfn960.jpg

• 2 months later...

The old keepers used to bite the birds head to kill it quickly.

There are also the pliers for crushing the spine which is fairly instant.

The 'twisel' method of using the birds weight and spinning it quickly and stopping whilst the body continues to spin is very quick but also looks to others rather barbaric.

The most efficient method I have come across is to hold the birds head with your first and second finger under the beak and the start of the throat respectively and with quick, hard downward pressure using your thumbnail, vertically, crush the centre and top of the head. (just like sticking your thumb through the two fingers of a 'v' sign'). Takes a bit of force but its effective.

I used to use the thumbnail method, very effective on all birds though hard work on geese.

My father used to kill chickens for the table with a pen knife, in its beak then cut up into its brain, hang onto its legs and swing it to bleed it dry. As I recall 60 years down the line it was very quick and humane.