Humane despatch

WoodyPopper

Does anyone use the method John Batley describes in his book, "The Pigeon Shooter" - where you press firmly down on the dimple in the pigeon's back? I practised on several dead birds and thought I'd got it right. But the first time I tried it on a wounded bird, it just ended up with a broken back. Any idea what I might have got wrong?

I grab the head/beak between thumb and two fingers and one quick turn and it's dead, works on everything from pigeons to Canada's ( although they need a little bit more wellie) breaks thier necks instantly :yes: ( used to use a priest but this is far quicker)

Does anyone use the method John Batley describes in his book, "The Pigeon Shooter" - where you press firmly down on the dimple in the pigeon's back? I practised on several dead birds and thought I'd got it right. But the first time I tried it on a wounded bird, it just ended up with a broken back. Any idea what I might have got wrong?

When you push down and break its back keep the pressure on for around 10 seconds and the bird will die. Not the fastestb method but you can despatch the bird without getting feathers everywhere.

Edited by Luckyshot

I use the twist and pull method, I worked on farms from very young dispatching geese,duck and chickens and this is by far the most quickest,simplest and humane way! On the thumb on back method you need to push (hard) you need to push for a few more seconds, not very humane but works. It's not worth wasting a cartridge on something if it's already hit, crows are a different matter, priest everytime cos they ******* hurt with a good nip

Holding the head in your hand very rapidly twist letting the weight of the body assist in breaking the neck, it takes no more than a single second. You need nothing else, single handed operation and works on small and medium game although I wouldn't use this on large birds. I made a priest for despatching birds once but it makes a mess of the heads and eyes so stopped using it.

PS. it's worth using a few freshly shot but dead birds to practice this on, it is very easily mastered and infallible, you can feel the neck give which is final compared to blows from a priest which may or may not lead to instant demise.

Edited by Hamster

Holding the head in your hand very rapidly twist letting the weight of the body assist in breaking the neck, it takes no more than a single second. You need nothing else, single handed operation and works on small and medium game although I wouldn't use this on large birds. I made a priest for despatching birds once but it makes a mess of the heads and eyes so stopped using it.

PS. it's worth using a few freshly shot but dead birds to practice this on, it is very easily mastered and infallible, you can feel the neck give which is final compared to blows from a priest which may or may not lead to instant demise.

This is what I was trying to explain :lol: works every time and is quick, I can also vouch for it working on Canada's (with a little bit more force) using the birds weight.

i have used this method, you have to really push your thumb in deep- just at the point the feathers change colour (on the v on the back)- its not a method i use now unless i dont have the priest with me.

i have tried various methods of despatch - but the priest (IMHO) is the quickest, cleanest way - one swift and heavy blow to the back of the head never fails. :good:

As previously stated holding the bird between the thumb and two fingers by the head and giving the body a good flick/spin under the birds own weight breaks the neck instantly. This is sometimes known as 'taking it for a spin' however I deem this description to be misleading because lots of spins are not required and can simply severe the head which isn't desirable.

I prefer this method as it's instant. None of this cruel and quite frankly un-needed fannying about waiting for something to die for 10 seconds for me!

FM

The old keepers used to bite the birds head to kill it quickly.

There are also the pliers for crushing the spine which is fairly instant.

The 'twisel' method of using the birds weight and spinning it quickly and stopping whilst the body continues to spin is very quick but also looks to others rather barbaric.

The most efficient method I have come across is to hold the birds head with your first and second finger under the beak and the start of the throat respectively and with quick, hard downward pressure using your thumbnail, vertically, crush the centre and top of the head. (just like sticking your thumb through the two fingers of a 'v' sign'). Takes a bit of force but its effective.

The old keepers used to bite the birds head to kill it quickly.

There are also the pliers for crushing the spine which is fairly instant.

The 'twisel' method of using the birds weight and spinning it quickly and stopping whilst the body continues to spin is very quick but also looks to others rather barbaric.

The most efficient method I have come across is to hold the birds head with your first and second finger under the beak and the start of the throat respectively and with quick, hard downward pressure using your thumbnail, vertically, crush the centre and top of the head. (just like sticking your thumb through the two fingers of a 'v' sign'). Takes a bit of force but its effective.

+ 1 for thumbnail :good:

The "twirl" its hard to get it wrong but it can look bad to onlookers and the head can come clean off. I always use this way with geese as its very quick and avoids the wressle that can otherwise happen with such a large bird

The "twirl" its hard to get it wrong but it can look bad to onlookers and the head can come clean off. I always use this way with geese as its very quick and avoids the wressle that can otherwise happen with such a large bird

Yes the heads can come off if the neck has already sustained some damage or if not done deftly. This is why I would advise a few practice runs beforehand but once you click it really is instant and requires no tools and only one hand. Regarding onlookers I tend to try and be discreet even out pigeon shooting, so for instance if fetching a runner I'd kill it more or less in the act of picking it up and often let it flap out unseen. I have watched idiotic acts of pheasants being spun around by the neck on telly, usually by a well dressed non-country fashion accessory female but a good twirler would kill even a pheasant in a second, it's possible to be less graphic compared to squeezing them with two hands or holding in one and whacking it with a stick.

I use the thumb in the back method too, tried all sorts of ways but just can't get the knack of breaking the necks and the birds must be suffering when I try, now I find the back break is the least distressing for the birds, I will try the thumb in the head next time, that sounds like a quick and easy method.