Bonuses

Asa Bear

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you have a job, it pays almost 30K, you have a pension, you are better off than most, 0% sympathy in fact i would sack you and give the job to someone who would really be happy with all that :)

Then I would have grounds for an employment tribunal and you'd be double ******.

The trouble is you can't just "give a job to someone" if they don't have the necessary skills. I'd like to be an airline pilot on more than double my wages but tough tits.

I don't see this much vitriol directed at people pandering how to spend their bonuses in these austere times.

Peace out :hmm:

I (still) earn less than £30k and pay more than £6k in tax and NI.

My mate in the building trade earnt over £50k last year. Paid his accountant just under £1400 and didn't pay a penny in tax.

I'd love to be able to self cert on all my earnings and have the perks of the private sector.

Unless your "mate" works for Rangers FC i dont see how he can not pay any tax for a year when hes making 50k.Im in the building trade,and an automatic 20% is taken off any invoice i put in to cover my tax so your mate is either conning or you are a total widbag full of *****.At the end of the day,if your not happy get a real job.

Unless your "mate" works for Rangers FC i dont see how he can not pay any tax for a year when hes making 50k.Im in the building trade,and an automatic 20% is taken off any invoice i put in to cover my tax so your mate is either conning or you are a total widbag full of *****.At the end of the day,if your not happy get a real job.

I'm am happy in my real job. I'm not happy with the government interfering with my pay & conditions.

My mate is self employed doing extensions and the like. He is paid by Joe public so they don't stop him his 20%. He raves about his accountant and the way he saves him paying out and I have no reason not to believe him. I don't doubt he doesn't declare all of his cash jobs but who does?

I (still) earn less than £30k and pay more than £6k in tax and NI.

My mate in the building trade earnt over £50k last year. Paid his accountant just under £1400 and didn't pay a penny in tax.

I'd love to be able to self cert on all my earnings and have the perks of the private sector.

Income tax is the same for PAYE or self employed, but NI is slightly more for PAYE people. Your mate is either not telling you the full story, or is committing tax fraud. If he made a profit of £50k, he would pay exactly the same amount as someone on PAYE with a salary/bonus of £50k.

Very few people earning less than £30k are able to save enough money over their working life to buy themselves a pension at the level you will receive, even if you do have to work until you are 60.

You what? A self employed friend of mine recently complained about the 11 quid stamp he pays every week or month, forget the details, when I told him I pay considerably more than that every day he said at least I get sick pay...

Yes but yet again, thats not the full story. The self employed pay two lots of NI. One is fixed at £10 or £11 per month, and the second is calculated as a percentage of profits. It is around 4% cheaper in NI to be self employed, but no sick pay, redundancy, maternity etc etc

Hi All

I just wish you would all stop whining and work harder to pay for my golden final salary pension. 55 and retired :lol::drinks::yahoo:

Geordie

I got one of those pensions too,I was 48 and they medically discharged me with a final salary pension topped up to 40 years service,but given the chance I would liked to have worked till my proper retirement age of 60

I've seen a couple of threads recently regarding bonuses. I'd like to congratulate everybody who receives them and I hope they enjoy spending them however they see fit.

I work in the public sector so no chance of a bonus for me or even a raise. In fact this year will be another pay freeze like the past few. Actually it'll be a pay cut as I've had to give up days off for extra training.

Let me put my violin away now.

I would like to ask for a little understanding in the upcoming months. The government are proposing to increase my pension contributions along with my retirement age. My union is balloting for industrial action to protect our current pension. A strike may be inevitable.

So please when the public sector is next in the barrel please remember your bonuses and not too much union/public sector bashing.

you do realise that by going on strike you are effectivly asking for a bigger slice of my wages and i can not afford to lose any more money in tax, what do you do for us anyway, we may decide we can do without it

you do realise that by going on strike you are effectivly asking for a bigger slice of my wages and i can not afford to lose any more money in tax, what do you do for us anyway, we may decide we can do without it

I'm not asking for a bigger slice of your wages pal. I'm asking for a bigger slice of mine. The government want a bigger percentage of my wages towards my pension. I already pay the highest percentage in the public sector.

I am a fireman There is room to "cut cloth" accordingly in the fire service but the people in the expendable positions are the ones that make the decisions. Therefore the cuts are in frontline services. This has already affected my brigade and therefore safety.

You can live without my services but in my opinion it's a false economy. You can live without home insurance until you're burgled or flooded etc. :hmm:

Just remember when/if you go on strike, who will be covering your job!! Standing around little fires!! :angry: Just be grateful you have a well paid job, and a bloody good pension when you leave.

That's the point Matty. The bloody good pension is hanging by a thread.

Are you armed forces then? How much do you pay to your pension? What age can you retire?

The thing is that EVERYBODY thinks the grass is greener in the private/public/self-employed sector when in reality we all get shafted one way or another. The way I see it:

Public Sector

+ Relative Job Security

+ Good pension

+ Good working conditions

- Relatively less pay

- PAYE

Private Sector

+ Relatively more pay

- Less job security

- poor/No pension

- PAYE

- Variable working conditions

Self-Employed/Limited company

+ Flexible working (you decide how much you want to work)

+ Tax advantages

+ Higher Salary

- No Sick pay/holiday pay etc.

- No job security

I was Army, the pension the forces receive is terrible, And depends if you make the full 22yrs service, or you get injured whilst serving. Tbh, Services like the Fire Brigade shouldnt be allowed to strike.

Just think how much better your pension would have been if you'd contributed 11% of your wages to the pot.

The fire service pension relies on you completing 30 years. There's also a good chance injuries will prematurely end a firefighter's career and expecting them to work operationally until 60 is unrealistic.

As AVB has pointed out above all jobs have their pros & cons. We're just trying to protect our "bonuses"

We didnt get 'Bonuses' in the Army, i joined because that was what i wanted to do, not bitch and whine about Pensions and bonuses. Everyone pays towards there pensions, so whats the issue?? You want a good pension, pay for it? Where i currently work, i receive a good pention, but i still pay alot towards it, thats life.

We didnt get 'Bonuses' in the Army, i joined because that was what i wanted to do, not bitch and whine about Pensions and bonuses. Everyone pays towards there pensions, so whats the issue?? You want a good pension, pay for it? Where i currently work, i receive a good pention, but i still pay alot towards it, thats life.

How long were you in the Army for Matt?! :hmm:

Did you have a railcard?

How much did you contribute towards your Army pension?

Answer me those two questions then tell me you never had any "bonuses", none of which I begrudge btw. :good:

I also joined the fire brigade because that's what I wanted to do. I signed up or the wages, conditions of service & pension. I didn't sign up to let the government stomp all over those 12 years down the line and do whatever they wanted. Before increasing the pension contributions of the highest percentage paying public sector employees perhaps everybody else should be brought in line.

Edited by Logo

We had to pay towards the rail card, so that wasnt free, and tbh, i never took much notice with how much was taken to pay my pension. I served 6yrs, and a tour of Iraq. I didnt get any bonuses, or tax relief for doing that. I dont begrude people looking out for there own, but there are worse off mate??

We had to pay towards the rail card, so that wasnt free, and tbh, i never took much notice with how much was taken to pay my pension. I served 6yrs, and a tour of Iraq. I didnt get any bonuses, or tax relief for doing that. I dont begrude people looking out for there own, but there are worse off mate??

Yes there are people a lot worse off mate. I'm just standing up for my rights. :yes:

Congratulations for completing a tour of Iraq. For that I admire you. I'm sure there were times you had to stand your ground so you should be able to empathise with me.

Your £15 railcard would have entitled you to more than a third off all rail travel, nice little bonus, and the Army pension is non contributory so even nicer bonus.

Peace out. :good: