custom .223 over a standard views please

swiss.tony

should have my ticket back by the time my sexy bonus is here in April and need to waste it on my new toy

so i need sum advice what are the pros and cons over a factory built rifle.

Or wood i be just better with standard rifle and sum top glass wear what prices on a custom rifle ish or is it sky's the limit.

1st price on custom job

2nd barrel twist ?

3rd mod ?

4th time frame on a custom build?

5th good company ?

what wood you lot go for ? :yes:

Edited by swiss.tony

All depends what you want from it, I've seen a few customs that make great talking points but can be very heavy and very expensive. I went down the route of spending more on a standard new sako and have no regrets for a rifle to use in the field. If its targets then its a different matter altogether

should have my ticket back by the time my sexy bonus is here in April and need to waste it on my new toy

so i need sum advice what are the pros and cons over a factory built rifle.

Or wood i be just better with standard rifle and sum top glass wear what prices on a custom rifle ish or is it sky's the limit.

1st price on custom job

2nd barrel twist ?

3rd mod ?

4th time frame on a custom build?

5th good company ?

what wood you lot go for ? :yes:

The whole point in custom is YOU specify. If its a 20lb target gun or a super lightweight mountain gun. Want a special twist? fully moderated? switch barrel? There are plenty "off the shelf" custom rifles but i think that defeats the whole object.

Personally i dont think you can beat finding a good action, adding the barrel of your choice and then the perfect stock and having it all put together by a top guy with pillars and sythetic bedding.

My choice for whats its worth is a Sako 75 action to suit calibre or Forester/vixen if you preffer floor plate. Border barrel (coz they are made here and good). Mc Millan Hunter stock. If it were to be a switch barrel i should look at a new RPA action. The former is pretty much what i shoot anyway, but the choice should always be yours- if you don't know what you want then the choice will proove wrong in the long run

I think the law of diminishing returns applies here. No matter how much I had to spend or waste on a rifle I would probably settle for a Sauer with a top end scope or scopes. With QR mounts. That alone would eat up a fair chunk of money, I would spend the the rest on shooting rather than having it sat in the cabinet.

Im assuming it would be for fox use Tony. Personally I would b uy a Sauer 202 outback, Sako 75/85 or a very nice Tikka. Your going to bbe punching half inch groups at 200 yards with any of these rifles if your a half decent shot and have good ammo. My choice of scope would be a Zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24x56, Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x56 or a Schmidt and Bender PM2 5.5-25x50. Decent glass is always the best route, holds the money, and there is not point in having a half decent rifle if you cant see your target.

My view on this is......

It totally depends on what you want the rifle for, vermin/fox, deer stalking, long range, target etc.

Decide what you want it for, then match the rifle to your needs.

Why spend large money on a custom, when you can spend MUCH less on a quality factory rifle that may meet your needs perfectly. Then spend the remainder on quality glass and reloading components.

I shoot 2nd hand Sako 75's (One has a Border cut rebarrel) as I think they are excellent quality for the money, and can outshoot many full custom rifles (As was proven this past weekend at 1200yds!) with quality glass and homeloads.

My bog standard Sako 75 varmint in .223 punches fingernail groups with 50gn Blitzkings, and single hole groups with 73gn Berger match.

Edited by Browning

basically what they said. If you have a specific need or requirement, then a custom makes sense. My 223 barrel is custom, but it is on an Encore frame so I wanted custom to ensure quality of fit for accuracy. An off the rack CZ bolt gun will do everything that my custom encore will with proper loads. On that point, I'd make sure you're reloading if you aren't already. That will get you where you need to be with a stock gun.

If I had a nice little wad of cash and wanted a 223, I'd prioritize glass over the rifle. I'd definitely reload. I'd also save a little bit of cash to have a riflesmith tune the trigger and possibly bed the action. A great trigger, a little load work, and a good scope will put you where you need to be.

Thanks,

Rick

Ultimately 'custom' doesn't need to be expensive, I don't think of it that way but my CZ 527 is now a custom rifle as I have mucked about with it to suit my needs.

The rifle was about £200, I fitted a $100 stock and had the barrel chopped - so it's a custom rifle but probably owes me less than £350

I think the law of diminishing returns applies here. No matter how much I had to spend or waste on a rifle I would probably settle for a Sauer with a top end scope or scopes. With QR mounts. That alone would eat up a fair chunk of money, I would spend the the rest on shooting rather than having it sat in the cabinet.

I had a weatherby with Timney three stage safety and trigger, TH laminate stock, with swaro PV habicht on top, as great a rifle as it was I never got back what I spent on it and changed it for pretty much exactly what dunkield has mentioned above, a sauer 202 with a lightweight a-tec mod, nice scope (waiting on a top end when I go to the USA in April) and QR leapold mounts....and it's a hands down fantastic package - will easily outshoot me! The only small complaint I have is the fact you are limited for bipod option for the sauer - as I don't want to drill a hole in my forestock, and am struggling to find info on varipod's or whatever hey are called - although I expect I'll find something when I am in the USA...

Regards,

Gixer

a sauer 202 with a lightweight a-tec mod, nice scope (waiting on a top end when I go to the USA in April) and QR leapold mounts....and it's a hands down fantastic package - will easily outshoot me! The only small complaint I have is the fact you are limited for bipod option for the sauer - as I don't want to drill a hole in my forestock,

My mate has the same rifle and drilled the stock, it looks fine and is a better solution than anything else he could find.

My mate has the same rifle and drilled the stock, it looks fine and is a better solution than anything else he could find.

I know, but I just can't bring myself to do it , did he look at versa pods?

Edited by gixer1

He did it as he has intention of selling it, so any effect on re-sale value (if it does) is irrelevant.

If I had one I would do the same.

I have another friend (hard to believe I know) with versa pods and he didn't like like the floppyness as it were :blink: so went with the harris.

As we know, they just work.

thanks lads sorry for late reply but bin on nights errrrrrrrrrrr horrible things yes the rifle will be 99 per cent foxing rifle but i get board and wood do a fair bit of target practice with it .

but like most of you lot say a sako 75 wood be perfect for me with a nice Zeiss Victory Diavari so that should take care of best part of 2k or well its free and should last me for ever

CHEERS lads for replys

Don't be put off the 85's apparently they are awful but have to say I get on rather well with mine and don't know anyone who actually owns one that doesn't like it. Certainly my finlight is very nice when you have to carry it far.

Tony

The one advantage I see going custom is choice of barrels and twist. If you want to shoot longer range (>300m) you could go with a fast twist .223 and shoot the long heavy bullets. As has been said buy what you can afford and get a loading machine so you can match loads to your purpose. Shoot more= shoot better.

I had a weatherby with Timney three stage safety and trigger, TH laminate stock, with swaro PV habicht on top, as great a rifle as it was I never got back what I spent on it and changed it for pretty much exactly what dunkield has mentioned above, a sauer 202 with a lightweight a-tec mod, nice scope (waiting on a top end when I go to the USA in April) and QR leapold mounts....and it's a hands down fantastic package - will easily outshoot me! The only small complaint I have is the fact you are limited for bipod option for the sauer - as I don't want to drill a hole in my forestock, and am struggling to find info on varipod's or whatever hey are called - although I expect I'll find something when I am in the USA...

Regards,

Gixer

The best solution is dont. In practice a small ruckstack, roe sack< rolled up coat or even a home made 14" set of sticks gets the job done with less weight and better balance

Don't be put off the 85's apparently they are awful but have to say I get on rather well with mine and don't know anyone who actually owns one that doesn't like it. Certainly my finlight is very nice when you have to carry it far.

But there are stacks of 75's and Vixens / foresters out there with shot out tubes. £500 would be the most to pay and about £700 for a Border Archer Barrel fitted. The 85 isnt totally awfull its just no improvement on its ansestors and on some counts it genuinely is worse, many will say the same about the 75 against the Finbar/Forester/ vixen and in many areas they are correct SAKO like many / most guns today are being built by accountants rather than gunsmiths

The best solution is dont. In practice a small ruckstack, roe sack< rolled up coat or even a home made 14" set of sticks gets the job done with less weight and better balance

That's pretty much what I do now, I do like the look of the versa pod though.... :good:

thanks lads sorry for late reply but bin on nights errrrrrrrrrrr horrible things yes the rifle will be 99 per cent foxing rifle but i get board and wood do a fair bit of target practice with it .

but like most of you lot say a sako 75 wood be perfect for me with a nice Zeiss Victory Diavari so that should take care of best part of 2k or well its free and should last me for ever

CHEERS lads for replys

Maybe not the sako 75 but picked up a T3 s/s light 1 in 8 twist and a Zeiss Victory Diavari for £750 :yp:

Love that set up and going to the grave with me :yes:

Bargins out there if you look ;)

If your set on custom try this http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/200013-tikka-595-223/page__p__1715161#entry1715161

Great for a custom job or shoot it as it is :P

Edited by magman

Maybe not the sako 75 but picked up a T3 s/s light 1 in 8 twist and a Zeiss Victory Diavari for £750 :yp:

Love that set up and going to the grave with me :yes:

Bargins out there if you look ;)

If your set on custom try this http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/200013-tikka-595-223/page__p__1715161#entry1715161

Great for a custom job or shoot it as it is :P

good choice i like the m595 action. very smooth,good trigger, simple safety on it which also locks the bolt. and they feed superb and slick because of the single stack mag.

i like the sako 75 action also. but they hold there value more. so rebarreling one will cost more in the long run.

only thing that puts me off them is there not lefthand friendly due to the palm swell. thats why i think the m595 is a great buy

good choice i like the m595 action. very smooth,good trigger, simple safety on it which also locks the bolt. and they feed superb and slick because of the single stack mag.

i like the sako 75 action also. but they hold there value more. so rebarreling one will cost more in the long run.

only thing that puts me off them is there not lefthand friendly due to the palm swell. thats why i think the m595 is a great buy

I supose the bolt being on the wrong side also? left hand versions are available :yes: if rare. I am not a lefty but if i was i should lean to shoot from my right shoulder from day 1. I think talking custom and having a bolt in your face is just wrong on so many levels. If its a case of you shoot from the left shoulder the top priority should be a left handed action :good:

I supose the bolt being on the wrong side also? left hand versions are available :yes: if rare. I am not a lefty but if i was i should lean to shoot from my right shoulder from day 1. I think talking custom and having a bolt in your face is just wrong on so many levels. If its a case of you shoot from the left shoulder the top priority should be a left handed action :good:

Even tho left-handed I prefer the bolt on the right still. Right hand bolt actions are always easier to sell on then a true lefty if you need to sell.