Scope Options for .22lr

Puggers

Hi,

I'm a relatively new shooter (targets mainly but some varmint clearance) and have two pre-owned .22 rimfires - a CZ American and Ruger 10/22.

Both came with pretty basic scopes which are adequate but I'd like to give myself every advantage possible on the basis that I'm definitely improving and gathering confidence.

Next steps for me would be to improve the scopes on the rifles and spend upto £300 on each one.

Before there's a groan of "not again", yes I have used the search facility and there's some great advice already available from fellow members but none that I could see in terms of this price range.

The options seem limitless and my own research is currently leaning me towards MTC, Leupold or Bushnell and all with reasonably high mag, say up to 20 or 24 for the target shooting.

All views and opinions are very much welcomed and which I thank you all in advance.

Regards

hi

what ranges are you planning on hunting and plinking at? that's some pretty high mag and not really needed for hunting and target at .22 ranges unless you want to Zoom in on individual bullet holes.

I've never used more than 8x mag for hunting and now use a 6x44 fixed mag. as for price obviously you get what you pay for but you don't need to go overboard 100-200 will get you a perfectly adequate scope.

atb Gary

Puggers, I speak as I find and I don't see what you are on about?

What sort of advantage do you expect on a 10-22 or a CZ .22lr with a £300 scope?

What range and what target and what time of day do you intend to shoot?

They are both .22lr, neither have any range to talk of. If you can see the quarry with a cheap scope and it holds zero then you can shoot it, what makes you think spending money will make you hit it better?

Putting a "decent" scope on a .22lr will not work miracles unless the scope you have at the moment is Bust!

£30-40-50 of the right JSR/Hawke/Nikko/etc will give just as good results as any £300 scope, what you don't get is dialling in, and build quality, thats all!

PS

I am not suggesting for one minute that if you have the folding to spare that you should not invest in some glass, but don't expect some magic improvement in your shooting at .22lr distances!

Edited by Dekers

Puggers, I speak as I find and I don't see what you are on about?

What sort of advantage do you expect on a 10-22 or a CZ .22lr with a £300 scope?

What range and what target and what time of day do you intend to shoot?

They are both .22lr, neither have any range to talk of. If you can see the quarry with a cheap scope and it holds zero then you can shoot it, what makes you think spending money will make you hit it better?

Putting a "decent" scope on a .22lr will not work miracles unless the scope you have at the moment is Bust!

£30-40-50 of the right JSR/Hawke/Nikko/etc will give just as good results as any £300 scope, what you don't get is dialling in, and build quality, thats all!

PS

I am not suggesting for one minute that if you have the folding to spare that you should not invest in some glass, but don't expect some magic improvement in your shooting at .22lr distances!

Hmmm don't entirely agree!

I chose to upgrade from an original Simmons wtc (good glass) To an mtc viper.

I am aware this is overkill but it is what I wanted (a scope with more zoom and a multi aim reticle!)

I agree if you can see it you can hit it as long as the scope holds zero, but.....if you can be more accurate with a multi aim reticle then it's worth it. And, confidence in your kit makes you more accurate, fact!

Get what you want, but don't spend what you can't afford / dont need to, because you think you need to!

ATB Chris

Hawke with the SR6 reticle IMHO - the distance/drop calculator is brilliant for such a loopy little round.

Had top of the range Leupolds in the past but "downgraded" and banked £100's for the next toy!! Great scopes, secondhand ~£75 :good:

I will always recommend Simmons,Bushnell and Nikko Sterling range of scopes for Air-rifles and Rimfires.

At the moment I have a Simmons WTC 6-20x50 AO scope on my Ruger 10/22.This scope is lovely IMO.

Simmons WTC scopes have lovely good value for money glass.

ATB on your choice.

Hmmm don't entirely agree!

I chose to upgrade from an original Simmons wtc (good glass) To an mtc viper.

I am aware this is overkill but it is what I wanted (a scope with more zoom and a multi aim reticle!)

I agree if you can see it you can hit it as long as the scope holds zero, but.....if you can be more accurate with a multi aim reticle then it's worth it. And, confidence in your kit makes you more accurate, fact!

Get what you want, but don't spend what you can't afford / dont need to, because you think you need to!

ATB Chris

I think we both said the same thing, and plenty of "innexpensive" scopes with lots of reticle choice! :good::good:

So Puggers, you can already see the divide regarding rf scopes. I must say that I am with Dekers and Oly on this one. I simply cannot see the point on putting a decent cf scope onto a rimmy, apart from the bling and feel good factor.

I can almost guarantee that someone with a mega bling, super expensive piece of glass, will not out shoot me and my trusty CZ style topped with a Hawke map pro.

ATB

Having been down the same route years ago I would now avoid the cheap chinese built scopes. Inferior build quality and glass. Spending a little bit more money will get you a reasonable Nikon,Leupold or Bushnell or similar. I have had problems with Simmons, AGS and Hawke,glass was reasonable for the money but maintaining zero and general machanical problems resulting in build quality let them down. Saying that I do have a simmons WTC that is brilliant but from the days of phillipine build, the chinese ones are rubbish now.

You could get something easily for around the £200 mark, personally I wouldnt go over 3x9,so popular this mag it is usually the cheapest, I would choose 50mm ob over 40mm though.Spending that little bit more will not make your gun more accurate or you a better shot but it will give you confidence and peace of mind. Oh and one last thing, personally I like mildot for .22lr. Hope this helps.

I bought my 4- 16 x 50 Nikko Stirling for an HMR but it now gets used on my BRNO .22 rf . It is ok on the range but the bulkiness of it is a pain in the field . Makes pointless the cut down barrel to have such a big lump of a scope .

I started off with cheap scope brands.ok for daytime but come dusk i always lost light and clarity. Bushnell legend is a great scope for the money.moved into a second hand leupold.much superior scope for a few extra quid.argument would be more expensive scopes only gain a few mins more shooting.my argument is that could make a huge difference in bag numbers

I went against my normal ideology recently and bought a cheapish scope for my lr, now in the day its fine, but at night I can't help but compare it to my more expensive glassware (not excessively expensive, I'm too in the Leupold/Meopta fold, but if I could afford better I would!), I'm not saying it is no good for the job, I just have a reference point.

I think its a double edged sword really, if I didn't have nicer glassware, I most likely wouldn't have noticed.

When it comes down to it with me, I just like nice things... :yes:

Edited by kyska

Its not just cheap glass and that extra half hour at twilight, its build quality on chinese scopes that has let me down. My hawke Sr12( I think its called) its great on 12x onthe hmr but if I alter the mag it changes zero,sent it back and a new one was sent, same problem so just gave up and keep it on x12. I had a Simmons Aetec, top of their range ( now built in china) great glass but it cost me loads in ammo trying to zero my 243, then one day I realised the eyebox was loose, suppliers no longer bothered with simmons so I put a bit more cash in and got a Nikon Monarch, excellent glass and reliable. You get what you pay for.