Knife sharpening

pin

Hacking away at some bunnies in the dark last night reminded me that I should keep my knife sharp. I have one of those diamond stone things which works just fine, but I can't keep the angle needed.

Just wondered what things people use, and if anyone has used the LS Lansky stuff - looks the nuts but its pricey - anyone used one?

I'm a boner in a meat factory. My knives will keep sharp for at least one day sometimes up to 3, what i use is a bench grinder from b&q for around £15, and rub them on a smooth steal. I know to you all 1 day doesn't sound anything but concidering i'll bone out two ton of meat per day, its good going, just dont press on grinder hard as it will eat knife!

:good::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::/

I read a big article on all the different methods and stuff, is that something you would recommend to someone who doesn't know what they are doing?

I read, depending on what you want the edge for (durability down to shaving) you cary the angle, and most knives have 3 different angles on them, the final being the cutting angle. Obviously this is a job skill you have some expertise with, how hard is it to get right?

I read a big article on all the different methods and stuff, is that something you would recommend to someone who doesn't know what they are doing?

I read, depending on what you want the edge for (durability down to shaving) you cary the angle, and most knives have 3 different angles on them, the final being the cutting angle. Obviously this is a job skill you have some expertise with, how hard is it to get right?

Pin your 31 years old, i'm sure you have a touch of common sence. So if you wanted to sharpen a knife with a bench grinder, i'm sure you would start just by playing with an old knife, just untill you got used to the grinder, and not to ruin a good knife. The diamond stone you have is the dogs ********, but as you said you cant get the edge, probably as you will be pressing on too hard, but they do work well if you know how to use them. The info i offered is an easy way for anyone to sharpen a knife, and its a quick way. :lol:

So as for recomending to someone that doesn't know what there doing, yes i would, i'd already checked you weren't one of the juniors, and you only get to learn these things by trial and error. I personaly have cut myself while using a stone, but never while using a grinder.

For all the juniors out there, knives are dangerous and should be treated carefully, and with the utmost respect! :good:

When i sharpen my knives the first thing i do is put them on a grindstone the smoothest side.When i have the angle i require i then move on to a oil stone again a smooth one to remove any burrs.Then when im happy that all the burrs are removed i then steel it on a smooth steel.When you are using a stone or steel don't put to much presure on the blade.You are shaping the blade not trying to remove any metal.A sharp knife is a safe knife,when you use a blunt knife you put more pressure on it, there for you will have less control over it :good:

I used one of the original 'Oilstone' Lansky's for years, and good it was too.

However, after buying one of the green diamond sharpeners I would never go back, as there is so much less messing about.

The correct angle comes with practise, and it depends what you want to do with the knife.

If the knife is for general purpose then don't put too shallow an angle on the cutting edge as it will soon become blunt.

If the knife is for gutting rabbits or similar then you need a shallow angle to get the amount of razor-sharpness required.

There are volumes written about knives, and the types of steel used. You do tend to get what you pay for, but as in life there are bargains to be had, and sometimes there is pride in knowing that what you have is amongst the best.

I used to believe in having a blade made of softer steel, as these are easy to resharpen. Good old Opinels are based on this principle. However, soft steel soon loses its edge, and you can very easily seriously blunt one, which can take ages to get back to a decent edge.

For my rabbit gutting I use a Brusletto with a 3" blade that is as hard as hell. This was a sod to get an edge to my liking, but a quick 10 second retouch with the green diamond sharpener after use brings it back to razor sharpness. And I mean razor sharpness. As someone has said, you have to be very, very careful.

Don

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

I know this sounded like a dumb question but I have little practical experience and have been trying for a good while with the diamond stone to get a result. I am trying to get it so it will shave the hairs on my hand, I know it can because the bloke in the shop showed me with my knife and my stone.

I get it so it is very sharp, clean easy cuts through paper etc, but I just can't get the razor edge on it. I read that stropping gets this last bit, or I need a very mild steel.

Problem being I have no idea how hard I should be pressing, or when I have done enough.

The harder you press, then the more metal you will remove. The less you remove then the sharper the edge. So, press lightly to get a razor edge.

Also, it depends on what colour diamond stone you have.

From memory, green is the smoothest, then red (fine), then yellow (medium) and blue (coarse).

You will obviously never get a razor edge with a yellow or blue.

Don't get too hung up about shaving the hairs on your arm, as you will end up cutting yourself! This looks impressive, but it is performance in the field that matters.

Don

For all the juniors out there, knives are dangerous and should be treated carefully, and with the utmost respect! :good:

:lol: always treat knives with the great respect they deserve, they can be more dangerous than our beloved guns!!!

anyway, i have a selection of sharpeners including: small smooth rounded whetstone, small flat diamond panels (pack of 3 cheap ones, not too bad :lol: ), very smooth diamond file (pen-style, flat edge, round edge, tooth groove, very good for around £15), needle files, kitchen-steel, 6" bench-grinder (coarse & medium wheels) & my personal favourite - the 'kitchen devil' hand-held ceramic-wheeled kitchen knife sharpener (oh mummy! that gets 'em sharp!!! :lol::lol: costs around £15, comes with a 10 year guarantee & well worth it :lol: )

I use scandi grind knives with a flat bevel. For me the best stones to use at home are Japanese water stones. 800-1200 grit for general sharpening and 6000 grit to get a nice finish and then strop. You can buy double sided stones so it's not too expensive.

In the field I use a Fallkniven DC4 whetstone (diamond on one side and ceramic on the other).

I also have a pocket skinner with a convex grind. For this I use wet 'n dry paper on a mouse mat.

Thanks again for all the tips and advice.

I will pick up a lansky setup to begin with I think, until I get the hang of it I need the angle guide :blush:

I think I will pick up a cheap bench grinder as also mentioned, and practice on Mrs Pin's crappy knives :blush:

i use a blade tech knife sharpener that blackthorn gave me, his is very good, quick, easy and makes your knifes very sharp, but only use with cheep knifes, as it takes alot of steel of. :good:

anyone got a clue what they use in the butchers :good:

A variety of things mate, a lot either use grinders and good quality steels, my two steels cost around £80 one rough and one fine, and others use an oil stone or diamond sharpener, its realy trial and error to get things right, i work with a 40+ year old butcher and he still cant get a knife sharp. the main trick is whatever you use dont press on hard! :blush::blush::good:

Like bertie says 'don't press too hard' you are shaping the edge not removing metal.If you push too hard all you do is keep bending the edge over.I've worked in a slaughterhouse for 20yrs now the first thing i had too do was sharpen a knife before i was allowed near a carcase.A master slaughterman told me to treat the knife with care and respect.When using a oil stone get a gentle rythym going and when using a steel do the same

just got an old opinal and tried it on the grinder, i can not get it as sharp as you lot say :blush:

lol, how sharp would you lot say it needs to be even my winchester wont take the hairs of my hand, and its new :blush:

:good: the ideal blade should be razor-sharp (or close to) to be effective - & safe!

what grinder are you using? (how fine?)

Kingratcatcher,opinel knives are very soft metal by puting it on a grindstone you could do more harm than good,get your self a rough and smooth oilstone.Start with the rough stone lay the blade flat on it then lift it to approx 30 degrees and draw it backwards and forwards GENTLY then do the same on the other side.When you are happy with that move to the smooth stone and do the same with a bit of practice you will get the knack.

I have the Spyder system Awesome results :good:

Cheers for that!

I had a chef mate of mine show me and I just don't have the skill, so I bought one of these on your recommendation. I based that decision on the fact I just posted you a free QD stud and you wouldn't fib to me :good:

I checked out a lot of these things, and this one seems to be the best :good:

Spyderco sharpener is the mutts nuts, after watching the DVD and reading carefully, and some practice I have an edge I am happy with. I can take it to a razor edge easily if I need it - easily shaves hair off my arm.

Well happy :good:

(thanks bipolar!)