Shooting on tv

spacemonkey

The trouble is with televising most clay shooting is that you can't actually see the targets break, so you don't know whether he hit them or not. It just becomes a load of film of blokes pulling triggers.

It's like that Browning ad above, how do we know he hit anything? I'd soon get bored watching a bunch of goons pulling triggers at targets I can't even see :P

~Not a sport that transposes well to the screen as Tard says, difficult to get perspective on the distance and angles of the clays shot at and whether they break or not, makes for boring "action" TV.

exactly, that's why we have exciting sports like formula one to watch. I get so excited seeing them changes tyres and fill up with petrol!

Edited by artschool

I have often wondered if with the help of overhead remote cameras,(much in the same way as rugby matches at the bigger stadiums have) it would help give an impression of distance. Plus the use of split screens, and maybe different coloured clays would all improve shooting TV coverage. Even developing a different form of shooting perhaps, much in the same way as Starshot was, could help.

Even perhaps scoring more points for shooting quickly,( not that it would suit my style) would increase watchability.

Just a few daft ideas but as things stand it will never be a good spectator sport.

I have often wondered if with the help of overhead remote cameras,(much in the same way as rugby matches at the bigger stadiums have) it would help give an impression of distance. Plus the use of split screens, and maybe different coloured clays would all improve shooting TV coverage. Even developing a different form of shooting perhaps, much in the same way as Starshot was, could help.

Even perhaps scoring more points for shooting quickly,( not that it would suit my style) would increase watchability.

Just a few daft ideas but as things stand it will never be a good spectator sport.

Topshot makes extensive use of ultra slow mo, exploding targets and various camera angles. If you can stand the 'americanishness' of it all then it's not a bad watch.

Just picked up a Virus form one of the top shot links so wont be watching it.

Really, never had any trouble from any link there myself but at least you caught it. If you can remember which one I'll check it out and report it. Be careful out there folks.

Really, never had any trouble from any link there myself but at least you caught it. If you can remember which one I'll check it out and report it. Be careful out there folks.

Not sure which link it was, not going back to find it checked the a/v logs it shows it was this bug Adware.Clkpotato!gen3

Try watching Double trap for quick shooting...Not much for a spectator but with the right technology and set up it could work, hope someone is brave enough to try it....

The trouble is with televising most clay shooting is that you can't actually see the targets break, so you don't know whether he hit them or not. It just becomes a load of film of blokes pulling triggers.

It's like that Browning ad above, how do we know he hit anything? I'd soon get bored watching a bunch of goons pulling triggers at targets I can't even see :P

Thats very true not great to watch :no:

I watched some Trap shooting at the last Commonwealth Games in India on tv ( finals only?, middle of the day). The clays were filled with a bright red (I think) dust so you could certainly see them break (in fact have seen similar used on the occasional clay at S Worcester ground).

The problem was that the camera work and the angles meant you didn't have any real idea of speeds, distances, clay trajectory etc it consisted of film of the competitor mounting the gun and pulling the trigger then a swift shift to see the cloud of dust appear (or sometimes catch it already hanging in the air). It was better than nothing but not brilliant as most filming of clay shooting invariably is not brilliant.

If they could do something better with the camera positioning I am sure the technology could make it so much better! Lets hope BBC coverage manages to find a way.

Love the fact that they are actually going to cover the sport though - that is REAL progress.

Edited by SakoQuad

This is where Star Shot came into it's own.

I watched it at this years Newark and it was very busy.

I would not have a clue how to find a clip of it, but I have no doubt someone out in Pigeon Watch World will oblige.

Trust me I am not being lazy, just my useless self as per norm.

Edited by bakerboy