Composting Toilet

Ricko

Looking to the future, we are hoping to install a composting loo on the allotment site, does anyone have any experience/advice etc. Cost? drawbacks, cautionary tales etc etc.

Cheers Ricko

my daughter and her family had one the first three years they lived in rural spain. make it a twin chamber one, that way while one chamber is being used, the other one can compost for a year. after a year composting, the waste looks no different to a soil conditioner you would buy from your garden centre. when i visited the family, i did find squatting a little getting used to. :lol:

A local camp site uses those. They use conifer sawdust which smells quite pleasant and kind of holds back the unwanted stink! I think they're a great idea - pollution free and natural, and even quite pleasant to use if they're sprinkled with shavings after each use. :yes:

My old grandad lived out in wild's of Herefordshire and had a outdoor loo - was a plank with cast tub underneath - when it was full they just dug a celery trench and spread it along it -- in them days all that was in tub was poo and newspaper -no chemicles.

Only started to eat celery a few years ago.

Dave

I've had composting toilets for a few years and in no particular order, here's my advice;

Don't fall in!

Make sure any fluid from the pit wont run downhill and contaminate anything.

Ensure the chambers/pits are properly sealed because if rats get in there... Let's just say they'll bite anything dangled in front of them. :look:

Don't pee in it too much, don't use too much toilet roll, just a handful of damp sawdust after every use.

Make sure it's legit to build a toilet there because if the council have to remove it, you will be charged for hazmat etc.

Edited by sterling

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to the future, we are hoping to install a composting loo on the allotment site, does anyone have any experience/advice etc. Cost? drawbacks, cautionary tales etc etc.

Cheers Ricko

The centre for alternative technoligy in wales uses them & they have a web site with details too.... my mate puts dung on his rhubarb..i prefer CUSTARD :lol: :lol: :lol: