Changing to BT Broadband

onefulham

Hi, bit of advice please, we are currantly with Talk Talk for our Broadband and Sky for line and calls, we Pay £16 to Talk Talk, plus £20+ odd I think to Sky for line and calls, with extra free up to hour calls and internationals to our friends in NZ.

Tried changing a while back to Sky Broadband in a package for free, as we have everything else with them, but they do not do full internet in our area, so they would charge and it is the same as Talk Talk, so I thought its not worth the change, plus been told Talk Talk is Cr*p to deal with and change. :hmm:

I am still thinking of changing to BT, I wonder if anyone has any actual experience of changing from say Talk Talk to BT ?

Also my wife really wants an iPad, she is getting a bonus this week and has no idea how much, first profit share they have had in years, she is talking of getting the cheaper Wi-Fi iPad 2, that there are better deals on and told the new iPad is not THAT much better than the 2.

With BT there is free access too, it says thousands of free wi-fi hot spot areas, just wonder how good are these and are they spread out, not just thousands in a few City centers ?

Thank you for any help or advice.

All the best

Paul. :good:

Been with BT since year dot, so I can't tell you how easy it is to swap as I have never known any different.

In all that time the line has never been out once (apart from cable upgrade by their contractors who didn't warn us) and it is in use all day long. I have just go over to Infinity which is obviously quicker, but as we had very quick broadband before I haven't seen a massive speed increase for day to day stuff, apart from large filedownloads - but then a lot of that depends on the hosts speed anyway.

If you look at the BT Fon site and put your postcode in you will see how many hotspots there are near you, they are increasing all the time but in my experience the access is normally not that quick. The reason being you are quite often piggy backing off another BT customers router.

Personally speaking, I have tried 6 'other' providers in the last 2 years (work - I have 4 lines bonded). Each time, I end up going back to BT. This is normally down to poor service when it comes to faults. Ultimately, if it's going over copper...it's BT that fix it. So if you are with TalkTalk for example, and you get a fault - they then two-and-throw for a few days and finally it gets to BT. If you get broadband with BT - it cuts all of that out. Only one call to make and it's their system/network.

In terms of iPad - I think you will be fine with an iPad2, which is great as they just dropped in price :)

Bear-in-mind, if you have a talktalk email address - you will probably lose it.

I am sitting here struggling on a 3g dongle as my work BT Broadband is down AGAIN today after being down last week for a day.

At least with BT they do send someone one when it does go wrong I suppose.

I was with aol for years, and got fed up speaking to bangalore, there is no fault with your line sir can you speak up?

went with BT last year, been great they promised me 2k speeds

only had 1k maximum, but 500m was the best before,