Reason For Refusal of a Test Certificate.

wymberley

If it was on a list of other things I wouldn't be too bothered, if it was the only reason for a fail I would be proper annoyed.

They could easy just take it off.

Reminds me of a car I was following a few nights back.

Loads of **** dangling off the mirror, rosary beads, kiddies booties etc.

In the middle of the dash there was a pod of some sort (bit like those angle things that some Toyatas have), loads of stuff like tissues, shopping lists etc stuffed above that.

Sat nav, wide screen no less, slap bang in the middle of the drivers vision. Not at the top, bottom or to the side a bit but right in the middle.

Beats me how the dopey doris that was driving could see anything at all.

Just found the smelly - hanging from the indicator stalk. Also failed on passenger side wiper blade. When I picked the truck up, all was tickety-boo, but as the vehicle was in for a service as well, it all seems very petty - why not just sort this out on the service before the MoT as it were. Less than one month ago, the same garage (different mechanic), serviced/MoT'd the car and a bauble which appealed to my sense of humour which was hanging from the mirror was found in a drink container - nothing said, no bother - I now know why!

Many years ago my Dads car failed because the indicator lenses on one side were slightly different colours. One was brand new, one faded. The tester said there was no defined colour, so both could have passed, but because they were different it was a fail.

He never went back to that test station.

Just found the smelly - hanging from the indicator stalk. Also failed on passenger side wiper blade. When I picked the truck up, all was tickety-boo, but as the vehicle was in for a service as well, it all seems very petty - why not just sort this out on the service before the MoT as it were. Less than one month ago, the same garage (different mechanic), serviced/MoT'd the car and a bauble which appealed to my sense of humour which was hanging from the mirror was found in a drink container - nothing said, no bother - I now know why!

I'd be using a different garage. Chances are they MOT the car then service it that way they ony check most of the stuff once, still seems ver petty though.

as above they are not alloud to remove child seats to inspect seat belts you just have to advise as you do with engine trays and any panels under the vehicle. back to the air freshner when i was testing id of just asked you to remove it then issued your cert.

As above really. I am/was an MOT tester and I used to take a different approach to each situation. It is the vehicle presenters responsibility to make sure the vehicle is fit to test. If the tester damages anything on the car s/he is responsible. Remove the furry dice and break the mirror, it comes out of the testers wages to fix. I wouldn't remove anything.

If a vehicle only failed on something hanging on the mirror. I would not remove it, and carry out a PRS (pass rectified at station), this means it is logged as a fail then passes at the same time. Then explain to the customer, that I have removed and refitted it for them. This is not the correct thing to do in the eyes of VOSA but it prevents any altercation with the customer.

If the vehicle failed on other items, then the furry dice go on the VT30 (red sheet). It's only petty when you don't explain to the customer.

Since the MOT has been computerised, testers can only fail legitimate items. They cannot make stuff up, like they used to in the paper based days.

• 1 month later...

Ive had this a few times. Good friends with the garage who do it. They fail it for petty things like this then pass it straight away... Then when vosa come and inspect them they can say they have been doing it! As long as you got a pass straight after I really don't see the problem??

I've had advisory notes and taken it back the following year without changing anything and they haven't mentioned it again. Guess it depends how they're feeling on the day.

I have had this myself worried that it would not pass as the problem must be worst this year but no mention of it. I also had problems with a citron 2CV I took it in to be mot and was told that the front suspension needed work I could not afford it at the time but two months later I took it in to a citron dealers to have the work done and to be mot the next thing I now is they phone me to say that the chassis is rusted ether spend a fortune on it or scrap it I ended up scrapping it.