Pellets all over the place

Aaz

Hi All,

Hope some of you more experienced air gunners can point me in the right direction here?

Zeroing scope after a complete strip and service of my S410 and its pellet on pellet at 30yds, even 20 and 15yds zero remains constant. When I get to 45-50yds I get fliers of centre by as much 50-75mm some go right, some go left, some go low and yet others, using the AA fields, with holdover are bang on. I checked the pressure and I'm at the peak for my power curve - its less noticeable with AA Fields but still there, I've tried JSB Exacts which perform well in my springer but not the S410, Crossmans were a little better than JSB, Superdomes don't even fit in the mag!

Any ideas?

Cheers chaps

You haven't said what calibre it is, but 40-50 yds is pushing the accuracy a bit, especially if its a .22. I assume its .177 if your trying to get out to that range accurately. I guess as you know your power window, you have run a string over a chrono. Next step I would try is going up the head sizes. I have found with my s410's they have optimum groups with 5.52mm in .22 and 4.52 in .177. Oh and its worth sorting the pellets to get out to 50 yds accurately.

Hope this helps.

Its .177 and I don't normally push this far tbh, all my hunting is done at around 30yds but you read all these posts with 'distance' shots so I thought, the rifles fully serviced and at its limits, I'd push it to see if these distances are actually consistently achievable or 'exaggerated' and the what the outcomes would be.

So far if I read a post where someone's taken quarry at 45-50yds they are either very lucky or I'm taking it with a pinch of salt as the tests I have carried out are far from accurate at these ranges

By 'sorting your pellets out' - you mean weighing them?

During the service did you have the barrel cleaned if so put plenty of pellets down the barrel I found that the two 400's I have had didn't like clean barrels also is the pellet getting clipped by the mag try hand loading and see if it happens also stick with the AA fields you can't go wrong with them :good:

If you are getting pellet in pellet at 30 yards but massive differences at 45 then cross-winds or turbulent air maybe the cause. Pellets will become more unstable as they reach longer ranges but I would have thought that with no wind you should get better groupings than that.

The only other thing that I can think of that could cause problems at extended ranges is parallax error, can you adjust the parallax on your scope?

No barrel clean and I thought that I might clean it as this may be the problem but going on what you say I'll leave it alone. Not tried hand loading but one the pellet is is in the breach by normal loading - would the mag be a problem? I'll be sticking with AA fields :good:

I've wondered about the scope, I believe its cheapo tasco from ebay and yes I can adjust the parallax but would this really cause the fliers I'm getting :hmm: ?

Bit of a loss as to why I cant seem to get good groupings at this range :/

[quote name='Aaz' timestamp='1333829777'

I've wondered about the scope, I believe its cheapo tasco from ebay and yes I can adjust the parallax but would this really cause the fliers I'm getting :hmm:

It would if your head was in a slightly different position on each shot. Try adjusting your scope to 50 yards (you can't rely on the scope markings, so focus by eye) and see if that makes any difference.

If you can enlarge this.Put this on a cardboard box.If It dont work.Try a bit of A4 paper and mark a set of horizontal and a croosshair in it.Put this on a box and set that at about 30ft/10mtrs.And work it from there.Jim.(Night Owl)

post-23983-0-12935100-1333845039.jpg

Edited by jimcam

Hi Jim,

I've been using the targets from http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/targets/ which do the job really well but cheers for the tip.

Hi Falcon

This is one the troubles I'm having with the scope, on the adjustment, set it 50yds nothings in focus and all the yardages are out by a mile, 30yds scope = 50yds on range, 20yds scope = 30yds on range. I've tried moving the image with my eye looking down the scope and all appears to be in-line, no movement on the reticule

The more I think of it the more I'm starting to answer my own question - chuck scope in bin and buy some quality glass :yes:

If its pellet on pellet at 30 yards it will be the same at 45-theres no mystical fairy out there that waits for your slug to pass the 30 yard mark before whacking it off-course with a Golf Racket.Only possible reason would be using wadcutter slugs-they become unstable as the velocity drops-but you would need to have lost a brain cell to loneliness to use wadcutters at this range.Gonna pm you my mob number-i'm only a couple of miles from you and have got a brand new scope/mounts that you can try.

Edited by bruno22rf

Hi All,

Hope some of you more experienced air gunners can point me in the right direction here?

Zeroing scope after a complete strip and service of my S410 and its pellet on pellet at 30yds, even 20 and 15yds zero remains constant. When I get to 45-50yds I get fliers of centre by as much 50-75mm some go right, some go left, some go low and yet others, using the AA fields, with holdover are bang on. I checked the pressure and I'm at the peak for my power curve - its less noticeable with AA Fields but still there, I've tried JSB Exacts which perform well in my springer but not the S410, Crossmans were a little better than JSB, Superdomes don't even fit in the mag!

Any ideas?

Cheers chaps

If your set up is spot on at 15 - 30 yards then there is no inherent reason why it should be become so inconsistent at 40 or 45 yards. You would need to use holdover of course or shots would be low but that isn't what you are describing. As has been said wad cutters would explain it but you aren't using them. I cannot use AA Fields in my Daystate Mk 4.177 or in the past in my AA 510, got flyers (around 3 out of every 10 shots) in both guns that made them useless for target shooting or hunting. In the end I used H&N Field Target Trophy, Falcon Accuracy plus (indoors target only - light at 7.5gn) and for hunting, Exterminators or Penetrators. In both guns all 3 very consistent and I could / can shoot one hole groups around the size of say 5p - 50p max at any range from say 20 yards (5p) to 50 yards (50p max). This off a rest and in calm air!

I would seriously consider trying pellets other than AA .177 (.22 don't give me the same problems).

You also need to think hard about wind and air turbulence - even a light wind can have big effect on sub 12ft lbs, .177 pellets over these distances.

Try thoroughly cleaning barrel, then putting at least 30 pellets through before trying to measure accuracy and when switching from one pellet to another brand, again fire 30 through before making any judgements. Not cleaning it hasn't apparently helped so nothing to lose! Some guns like dirty barrels some really hate them and will punish you for not cleaning - though then I would expect trouble at all ranges.

By all means invest in a better scope - can only be a good thing, but the problem as described by you cannot be the scope, if it were you would have inconsistency at all ranges. The same applies to all the other potential causes of inconsistency such as clipping a moderator if fitted, pellet being damaged on loading from magazine, power variations from shot to shot, dirty barrel, clean barrel etc or indeed the pellet itself even though I have suggested trying other brands. It must be wind or air movement OR you are doing something different when shooting over these longer ranges. It's really frustrating when this sort of thing happens so hope you are able to single out the cause!

Edited by SakoQuad

Dont think it will be clipping the sound mod as it would do it at all ranges.....what scope have you got on the gun if you have a cheap airgun scope with fixed parallax at 30 yrds it could be enough to have parallax error at the 50yrds its more than likely just the pellets a slight deform on head or skirt can throw them off over that range even more so with a sub 12ftlb airgun.....try the rws r10 match pellets or the likes of they are more consistent and they come in trays of 100 individually packed you can buy 100 of evilbay to try....I use these in my olympic target rifle and are very accurate in that.

Went out for an hour yesterday and think I may have found the problem - I hope, the stocks come lose from the barrel, not a lot but there is movement.

When the weather gets better I'll do it all again to see if it cures it

Sako

Its very frustrating but thanks for advice

I doubt it would be the pellets clipping blasterjudd - I'd thought it would more consistently that it does

Sparkie - I think its a fake tasco from the bay, was on the gun when I bought it. None of the yardages on the scope are accurate.

I'm with the above suggestions re parallax error. :good::good: Change the scope when you can for a better quality one :yes:

I'm looking now tbh but sooooooooo much choice I don't know where to begin, I do fancy the Hawke Sidewinder TAC 30 mind :rolleyes: .

Did have a result since tightening everything up, magpie at 66 yds :good: not sure whether it was luck more than judgement but dropped it like a stone - again though the scope was set 30yds and everything was in focus and gave it the same holdover as I did at 50yds