Why do they drive down our road?

ME

We are currently living in my brothers house in the UK. (he lives in Spain) The house is down a quiet cul de sac of about 12 houses.

The lounge / sitting room / front room is at the front of the house (which is near the end of the cul de sac) and I often watch cars bomb down the road only to turn round when they find that it is a dead end. I see this 3 + times a day. (and I don't work from home)

In fairness there are no "dead end" signs at the top of the road and on a map, the end of the cul de sac nearly joins with the end of another cul de sac, so it could be seen as a through road if you can't read a map properly.

My question is - is there a website to check sat-nav mistakes / errors? Is there a cul de sac mong-user help site? Can I approach the council to put up "no through road" signs?

Edited by ME

Does it really bother you THAT much?

Yes.

My missus car got smacked last week by a visitor to the road.

EDIT:

Oh, and our car insurance increased by £45 per car to live here because of the amount of accidents in this postcode.

Oh, and to rent this house it would cost £2200 per month or to buy it would be £700k plus.

Edited by ME

Why does the price of rent or buying make a difference??

I did wonder why that was mentioned too, does that mean you own more of the road or something? :blink:

Maybe it's an area renowned for hookers so the kerb crawlers keep coming back, and the house was once a wealthy madam's brothel... do any of the women go on "nights out" with thigh high boots on? :yp:

Regards,

Gixer

If you ask permission from the local council and they say "no" then you have put the balloon up and they may keep an eye on the road and its signage (realising the natural self help conclusion you may be forced to draw - see below)

Even if the Council say yes, the economics are probably such that for them to commission the creation and erection of a single sign serving but a handful of houses makes it such a low priority that in these hard times it just will never happen.

If you could say it was a safety issue then that maybe different.

The self help route would be for you to order your own sign off ebay (not a stolen one or you'll get done for handling if rumbled) and stick it up yourself in a non permanant fashion - jubilee clips or zip ties.

Job jobbed.

ebay item 220868646468

£17.85 + £4.50 del.

Job jobbed.

Invoice is in the post.

If Busty Island is in the Thames estuary the simple answer is all the gases coming out of the tundra frost down there ,it affects the locals.

Back to reality, I sympathise with you I get the same where I live, it's not if but when a child gets knocked over.

Hi

Is it a 'Private Road' in which case it is the responsibility of the developer/managment company or is it public highway? - that is been 'adopted' (taken over for responsibility by the Local Highway Authority (LHA))

Many new developments take years for this to be finalised and in between issues like this are problematic.

As indicated above - it would help you to contact whoever is the LHA and/or the developer if private to indicate the risk to highway safety and in particular its users from the unnecessary speeding/turning vehicles in a cul de sac where children play.........

Your Local Councillor would also be useful in this process as he can ask questions internally if highway.

L

I think it could be for two reasons;

a.) SATNAV gone wrong, or,

b.) They are casing the joint.

I'm guessing it's a satnav issue given your road looks like it 'may' be a through-road. As far as i'm aware, there is no central agency dealing with errors in mapping software. So, your next step (other than putting up a sign as mentioned above) is to contact the relevant manufacturers and notify them of the error and the damage/nuisance it is causing.

I think the main manufacturers are;

TOMTOM, Garmin, Navteq/Navigon, Mio... Some have built-in error reporting (as in, a button you can press when you find an error. This gets assembled and if enough reports, rectified in a later release)

TOMTOM have an online 'Map Share' Reporter' here; http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14911/?locale=en_US

Navteq here; http://mapreporter.navteq.com/whitelabel/

Garmin; https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces

Hope that gets you started ;)

Edited by huffhuff

£700k and no off street parking :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: or perhaps gate posts are two narrow for a woman driver.

Dave

Oh, that's a whole other argument. I told Mrs ME to stop parking her car in the frigging road about two weeks ago. She is just lucky that I am not a "told you so" type of person!!!! :lol: