HMR explosion!

adam f

I was zeroing a new scope on my CZ455 Hmr last night when I had what I can only describe as a round explode in the chamber.

I was using up some 1 year old 20gn Winchester hollow point ammo that I don't usually use just to get a rough zero. I chambered the round, closed the bolt and squeezed off the round only to have an ear splitting BANG ( think a 12g x3 times!) I pooped myself thinking the barrel had exploded but once I'd calmed down I checked the gun. The bolt was still closed shut. The magazine had been exploded from the rifle into the plastic bench I was shooting off and was in about a dozen pieces!

I slowly opened the bolt. The rear rim off the ammo case dropped out like a small disc with a section missing. The case was jammed in the chamber but the bullet had ejected and the barrel was clear??!?!

After a while I cleaned the gun and gingerly fired off a few Hornady rounds ( my usual ammo) and all was fine.

The rifle is only a year old but this scared the life out of me.

Any ideas what happened?

Adam

If you didn't see it hit the target then I think my first thought will be right.

If there was a bullet lodged in the barrel then it obviously pushed it out, but it would take huge pressure to do that hence the huge bang and it must have been enough to damage the brass too (and with such pressures involved I suppose any space between the bolt and the chamber would be found) - and I suppose the shock must have knocked the magazine out - which must take some doing.

I don't think it could be a double charged round, I understand the cases are pretty full of powder so it's probably impossible for it to be double charged.

This has allready been talked about on here in great detail & I have also left my comments on the subject. What seams to be happening with a lot of people including my M8 who I was with when what happened to you happened to him then my other M8 on the next day out shooting nearly had the same thing happen to him but luckly he could not fully close the bolt so removed it and looked up the barrel only to see a blockage. Once the blockage was removed it was a bullet head off a Winchester 17g hollow point round which sounded as if it had gone off correctly but hadn`t

There seams to be a problem with the WINCHESTER ammo if you ask me as I use Hornady in my CZ455 and get good groups at 150yrds 1 cm abouts so stick to Hornady M8

either the bolt or the barrel will be designed to relieve gas which escapes past the case, usually either a hole drilled into the barrel which corresponds with the bolt face or a hole drilled into the side of the bolt and the gas would first travel through the firing pin hole, i'm not familiar with the cz to know which they use

my guess is it relieves downwards towards the mag?

either the bolt or the barrel will be designed to relieve gas which escapes past the case, usually either a hole drilled into the barrel which corresponds with the bolt face or a hole drilled into the side of the bolt and the gas would first travel through the firing pin hole, i'm not familiar with the cz to know which they use

my guess is it relieves downwards towards the mag?

U R correct it goes down the bolt and blows the mag out this is what it is designed to do in this case. :good::yes:

Here of these problems with .17 hmr time and time again recently. Not good.

Time the industry seriously looked into this before someone gets hurt.

I totally agree with the gentleman above.There's been a lot of issues with this calibre recently with different makes of bullets.

I've had 2 stuck before but the round didn't detonate properly so I slid the bolt out to find a stuck bullet.... This time I got a correct sounding detonation so didn't feel a need to check. But I guess it must have got stuck?

I guess I need to be ultra cautious in future?!

This seems to be an ongoing thread on lots of forums and the worry is does someone have to die or be badly injured before someone steps in and sorts these companys out that are cutting corners somewhere and supplying sub standard 17hmr ammunition. who regulates the quality of ammunition in the country? i would love to know. :hmm:

When zeroing a new HMR recently I had a Remmington round that sounded like the primer went off a second or so before the main powder, then a Federal round where only the primer went off and it left the bullet lodged in the barrel. Annoying and dangerous!

I had my first ever squib HMR round (click but no fizz) last weekend, in probably ten thousand rounds, and the round was from the last of two boxes of a batch of 2000 rounds I bought six months ago.

It is a problem but the alternative to an excellent bunny gun is either hard to find, or takes time to reload and burns barrels out.

I use the .22LR more often than not, and have done for quite a while, but I still like the hummer.

Be vigilant, pay attention.

............. I'd expect it to split the barrel if that happened.

How powerful do you think the mighty HMR is? :lol::lol::lol:

I'll give you a fiver if you can find a pic of a split HMR barrel

Let me be very clear here, there are issues with the HMR and safety in shooting must never be taken lightly, the BUT is, its a HMR, if that will ever split your barrel then something VERY serious was wrong with the barrel to start with!

:good::good:

probably a good thing you cant get a semi auto in 17. :yes: :yes:

You can/could get 17HMR Semis (not in this country), many safety warnings and recall notices have been published, check out the web!

You can still get them (in the US, not here due to the law) and this article covers the problems other manufacturers had.

s/a 17HMR