reloading for 6.5x55

You won't save money reloading!

It is the reason most people start to reload - but once you take in to account the cost of the initial setup and then the desire to get even smaller groups and better performance from your loads - it soon works out more expensive!

Reloading is a hobby in itself though and one you will come to enjoy - Will you reload to shoot? or shoot to reload? a question you will soon start to ask yourself!

Setup cost is going to vary - depending on what kit you buy. Make sure you buy a good set of dies though - I also reload 6,5x55 and have both the Lee collet dies and a Redding Die set - the Lee ones vary rarely get used.

Any of the manuals will be a good starting point - Lyman 49th Edition is full of good info and has some good 6,5x55 loads. you can get lots of load data from the powder and bullet manufactures websites though.

Mike

You won't save money reloading!

It is the reason most people start to reload - but once you take in to account the cost of the initial setup and then the desire to get even smaller groups and better performance from your loads - it soon works out more expensive!

Reloading is a hobby in itself though and one you will come to enjoy - Will you reload to shoot? or shoot to reload? a question you will soon start to ask yourself!

Setup cost is going to vary - depending on what kit you buy. Make sure you buy a good set of dies though - I also reload 6,5x55 and have both the Lee collet dies and a Redding Die set - the Lee ones vary rarely get used.

Any of the manuals will be a good starting point - Lyman 49th Edition is full of good info and has some good 6,5x55 loads. you can get lots of load data from the powder and bullet manufactures websites though.

Mike

Good advice but I would add that I load for the 6.5 x 55 with Lee dies and after a bit of tweaking I am getting 1/2" to 3/4" 100 yard groups out of a lightweight sporter barrel. A lot of people don't like Lee kit, but it works well for me.

Good advice but I would add that I load for the 6.5 x 55 with Lee dies and after a bit of tweaking I am getting 1/2" to 3/4" 100 yard groups out of a lightweight sporter barrel. A lot of people don't like Lee kit, but it works well for me.

Sorry - not knocking Lee dies - I have a fair amount of Lee kit (And dies in other calibres) - I just prefer to use the Redding dies over the Lee collet ones I have in 6,5x55.

I will throw a wrench in the works and say that if you want to get the most out of your rifle then you NEED to reload. The choice of bullets/powders/seating depths etc. enable you to build ammo that is more accurate than anything you can buy. I neck size for all cals and find it improves accuracy as well.

If cost is your whole deal shoot factory loads and be happy with 1-1.5" groups. If you would like to see some .5 or less (not necessary--I know) then set yourself up and reload. Depending on your age you could likely recoup your investment over a period of time.

What sort of groups are you after with the rifle and what will the main uses be?

I have reloading gear but quite frankly just don't need to use it as the groups my rifle and my previous rifle shot were very acceptable, and the cost of factory rounds is neglible when if your rifle will shoot prvi or Norma (£11.50 and £23 respectively around me)

Regards,

Gixer

What sort of groups are you after with the rifle and what will the main uses be?

I have reloading gear but quite frankly just don't need to use it as the groups my rifle and my previous rifle shot were very acceptable, and the cost of factory rounds is neglible when if your rifle will shoot prvi or Norma (£11.50 and £23 respectively around me)

Regards,

Gixer

Yep your groups need no tweeking but you never said on your post what the rifle was, I'm quessing its a pretty good quality barrel though.

Back to the original post,

Reloading is cheaper per rnd, though yes you will probably shoot loads more. If your gun shoots as well with ppu as gixer's then maybe not worth it.

If you reload you can usually get your bullet allowance bumped up so you can stock up on the vital ingredients and not face the old 'sorry sir,we havent got those in stock but have changed to these'

Its a great hobby,though not for all but I love it and you will learn loads about how it all works.

Lee dies and press's are plenty good enough for hunting ammo through most hunting rifles, I load 243 and 308 and love the lee kit. I did buy some Redding dies, not that impressed with them and went back to my Lee dies, especially the Collet neck sizing die in both calibres. The only piece of lee kit I could never get on with was the powder scale but all the rest I've had is excellent.

i have a lee set up and get great results with my .223. the cheapest .223 ammo i can get here in shetland is PPU at .60p a pop, i can reload bullets for 34/35p a pop. the most accurate factory ammo was the PPU with 5 shot groups at 3/4". if i weigh the powder out using the lee safety scales (which i hate) i get under 1/2", and using the lee perfect powder measure (which is faster) i get 1/2"-5/8" groups (which i am happy with for all i do). i didnt start reloading to save money but after 550 rounds my kit was paid for when compaired to PPU. hope this helps the OP :good:

I should add that one of the other reasons I haven't used my reloading gear yet is the worry I get too into it and add another hobby when I barely get time for what I do already!

Redgum, sorry -

I missed the fact I didn't say the rifle is a sauer 202.

Regards,

Gixer

I will throw a wrench in the works and say that if you want to get the most out of your rifle then you NEED to reload. The choice of bullets/powders/seating depths etc. enable you to build ammo that is more accurate than anything you can buy. I neck size for all cals and find it improves accuracy as well.

If cost is your whole deal shoot factory loads and be happy with 1-1.5" groups. If you would like to see some .5 or less (not necessary--I know) then set yourself up and reload. Depending on your age you could likely recoup your investment over a period of time.

In USA you are right, but over here the cost of reloading is higher and the choice of bullets in particular is limited and I would say getting worse as more people are giving up and just buying Privi. I shoot with quite a large group. Nobody reloads any more, ten years ago everybody did.

In USA you are right, but over here the cost of reloading is higher and the choice of bullets in particular is limited and I would say getting worse as more people are giving up and just buying Privi. I shoot with quite a large group. Nobody reloads any more, ten years ago everybody did.

I'd also say the "be happy with 1-1.5 groups" isn't really the case now, it's not a major concern on a hunting/sporting rifle as most know but I don't think any of the rifles i've owned (or friends/family) have shot over 1" and they haven't been "top end" rifles by any means - I think factory ammo must have improved leaps and bounds in the last 10 years as I just don't see the problem - maybe a problem finding a brand/type the rifle likes but once you do there's no reason you wouldn't see touching groups...

Regards,

Gixer

i have a lee set up and get great results with my .223. the cheapest .223 ammo i can get here in shetland is PPU at .60p a pop, i can reload bullets for 34/35p a pop. the most accurate factory ammo was the PPU with 5 shot groups at 3/4". if i weigh the powder out using the lee safety scales (which i hate) i get under 1/2", and using the lee perfect powder measure (which is faster) i get 1/2"-5/8" groups (which i am happy with for all i do). i didnt start reloading to save money but after 550 rounds my kit was paid for when compaired to PPU. hope this helps the OP :good:

Why is PPU so expensive where you are? RRP was £8 a box for .223 just gone up to £9 I believe. If you were paying the proper price for your PPU your reloading costings would come out very differently. I have always reloaded more for pleasure than to save money but the cost of reloading is crazy.

Why is PPU so expensive where you are? RRP was £8 a box for .223 just gone up to £9 I believe. If you were paying the proper price for your PPU your reloading costings would come out very differently. I have always reloaded more for pleasure than to save money but the cost of reloading is crazy.

I pay £11.50/box here too....wish it was £8! it used to be but apparently someone told me the ppu factory burned down and this forced prices up...

I pay £11.50/box here too....wish it was £8! it used to be but apparently someone told me the ppu factory burned down and this forced prices up...

Thats rubbish whoever told you that is having you on ? Mind you, its not the first time I have heard it said. They had a small explosion its true about a year or so back but thats all. Check out the prices on here, this is where I buy a lot of my ammo from but others are the same, they just don't have websites with prices

http://www.peterlawman.co.uk/ammunition

This guy is just as cheap, possibly even cheaper. I go to him a lot because he's only a few miles north of Bisley

http://www.tfsa.co.uk/index.html

While we are an about cheap ammo, this place is about 20 miles north of me

http://www.ammo-zone.co.uk/Home.aspx

Edited by Vince Green

Thanks Vince, I wasn't aware of that fact. I knew that a lot of the time fellows would "stock up" when they came over. With our present political climate more and more are starting to reload so they can be assured of obtaining ammo. I have not bought a factory round in ages so apologies to Gixer, the last I shot were not that good. I am into custom bullets, glass bedding, and match barrels--- accuracy is a demanding mistress and one not easily satiated.