Best bank account

ferguson_tom

I have decided Santander are a bunch of robbing ****** so had enough of them and changing bank accounts. My bank balance is rarely healthy so not worried about in credit interest rates. The main thing is not a ridiculous arranged overdraft fee and also an even more ridiculous unarranged overdraft fee.

Santander just tried charging me £150 for going into an unapproved overdraft due to 5 transactions going out of my account without the money being there even though it was there when the card was processed, i moved money from the savings account to clear it as soon as i realised.

Anyone got any suggestions? I am leaning towards Halifax as they are also giving you £5 a month just for using them but what is there online facility like as I do everything online.

Im with Lloyds TSB

I cant fault them,

Been with them for over 30 years,

And yes people will along shortly to knock them but any bank on this post will get knocked,

I take as I find,

Ive had loans/investments and do internet banking with them.

They get a :good: from me

:shaun:

Halifax is part of lloyds if you do it all online look at first direct? If you have a regular sum going in then it can be worth the benefits I have a Halifax joint account that gives breakdown cover phone insurance etc etc but it's never over drawn so can't say what they are like I have current account and business with Santander and they are getting worse if I go anywhere it will be coop or virgin I recon

Guest Mr Pieman

Halifax are good. Used them for some years now, without any problems. I spend most of the year working abroad, so all my banking is done online :)

Lloyds charge £6 a day for an unarranged overdraft and £5 a month plus interest (can remember how much) for arranged overdraft I think there is also a fee if a direct debit going out that puts you over your overdraft limit £25 springs to mind but I'm not sure

Im with Lloyds TSB

I cant fault them,

And yes people will along shortly to knock them but any bank on this post will get knocked,

I take as I find,

I thought you just kept your money in a pot at the end of a rainbow Shaun??

I use Barclays but I think there all as bad as each other to be fair.

Royal

i'm with nationwide and over the last 5 years had a few problems with them, slowly but surely they are loosing my business. Got turned down for a loan ( even though had 3 previous loans through them without a problem ) so went to another company got the loan I wanted and paid that off without a problem. I had 2 cheques bounce, yes the first my fault as didn't realise I was at the end of the overdraft limit so I will say fair enough on that one but the trick nationwide pull is the charge you for the bounced cheque but dont send you a letter to tell you that, like other banks do, so a second cheque bounced so got charged again by nationwide and because it was the payment to the credit card got stuffed for charges from the credit card as well :( but the thing was had I known I had money in the savings account to cover it but they didn't tell me after the first one :angry: The next dirt trick they came up with because I had told them what I thought of them, I tried paying my nationwide credit card off to withdraw so more profits from them, so I had a bit of spare money each month so decided to pay £50-£100 off by going into the branch and paying it off, however because I had a direct debit set up to cover the minimum payment I thought I was paying the minimum payment + the extra paid in but their dirty trick was not to collect the direct debit as what I had been paying extra was more than the minimum payment, they where taking the extra at that was it, keeping me in debt for longer and being able to charge me more. Anyways having another argument with them about that, managed to pay off the credit card and cancelled that so they wont be getting any more business from me there. I have been looking around at differnt banks but every one comes with nightmare stories

I have been with Barclays 34 years, no problems but their Internet banking is the worst ! They say it is the safest as you have to use a card reader but it disconnects you after you have just connected saying you have been idle for 10 mins, try to do something and the page just refreshes and does not change, says you have put wrong password or whatever when you know you have done it right.

If Internet banking is important to you my advice is do NOT touch Barclays, I think it has always been bad and now it's worse than ever !

Rant over, sorry. Been trying to sort out banking for days till finally worked, did same thing over and over till it worked and they blamed ME ! All they are interested is selling and their adverts.

Can I recommend you go to credit expert, part of experian, first 30 days free and do your own credit search. This will given you a credit rating which all banks go on, if you fair well then pick of the bunch and types of account. Fair badly and most will only offer a cash account with no overdraft facility. In which case you're stuck with the pain from Spain :oops:

Best of luck :good:

BS

Been with HSBC for 18 years...had a few problems but sorted out quickly and also got a case of wine, money etc

Dont touch Halifac as they charge for being overdrawn £1 a day no matter if its a £1 over or £600

Barclays... :sly: :sly: :sly: stopped myself and SWMBO getting a mortgage for THEIR mistake...has to go through FSA to sort it

Im with Lloyds TSB

I cant fault them,

I take as I find,

Me too...

Still the best High Street Bank by a mile IMO

40 years man and boy

Dont like Building Societies who call themselves banks or those hiding behind Offshore parent companies... Just the words Santander sounds dodgy.. :lol:

Edited by Fisherman Mike

Was with Nat West for 30 years, then Fred the Shred happened, and they got nationalised, put up the charges and I was damn sure I wasn't going to pay twice, as a tax payer and an account holder. Got mightily sick of their bogus and inane slogans. Once in a lunchtime queue with many others waiting while one clerk served, two others had the blinds drawn.

So went to enquiries desk and rang the bell continuously until someone came, then said "Have you seen this?", and unfurled a poster I had ripped off the wall. Their slogan then was "There is a better way!"

She went mental. I said in a loud voice, "In case you hadn't realised, the better way is to roll up those blinds and get those other lazy ****ers working!". I was applauded by the queue!

Now they are trying to disassociate themselves from RBS and assert their own identity again with the slogan "Helpful Banking". If you believe that you deserve them.

When I moved to HSBC I told them bluntly that they were all villains but at least HSBC used Arab money to bail themselves out and not the UK taxpayer.

Edited by Greymaster

I have been with Barclays 34 years, no problems but their Internet banking is the worst ! They say it is the safest as you have to use a card reader but it disconnects you after you have just connected saying you have been idle for 10 mins, try to do something and the page just refreshes and does not change, says you have put wrong password or whatever when you know you have done it right.

If Internet banking is important to you my advice is do NOT touch Barclays, I think it has always been bad and now it's worse than ever !

Rant over, sorry. Been trying to sort out banking for days till finally worked, did same thing over and over till it worked and they blamed ME ! All they are interested is selling and their adverts.

weird I find their internet banking works very well, Compared to most where your details can be saved or could be hacked the card reader makes a lot of sense. I've been with them 25 years and really once you get away from their Image and just use them as a bank it seems to just work. They are not good for savings rates etc but as I've got an offset mortgage through them thats irrelevant for me. In this case I think you could have set up a text alert with them that would have alerted you when you were close to going overdrawn and saved the problem before it happened.

I have been having a serious look into this last night, with help of all your comments. I think i am going to go for a Halifax account. Although the overdraft is £1 a day i only go into it for 10 days or so a month and with there £5 a month bonus this that will only make it about £5 a month for what i need. Hopefully as well by end of this month i will be out of the overdraft but.... Also once in the black they give you £5 a month for just having money going through the account and that is a lot better than any of the interest rates i would earn in a month from a standard account.

My main worry is these ridiculous charges for going over the overdraft, Halifax only charge £5 a day with no transactions fees so the situation that just arose now would of seen me only paying £5 fee not £150. I wont be paying the £150 though they will be getting cancelled.

Thanks for all your comments and help.