FEO Interview

Gents,

I would like to know what your FEO asked you when you had your Shotgun Cert Interview. Can you please be specific as to the questions he asked you and exactly what you replied to it.

Thanks,

he asked me " why have you missed a conviction off your application" also " what do you want a gun for" also "who knows where you keep your keys" also "what time you putting the kettle on" :lol: :lol: only joking,,just be honest,, be yourself and you shouldn,t have a problem bud,,good luck with your interview :good: :good:

Are you a homicidal, raving, pyschopathic maniac?

Yes.....I mean No.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a few questions about safety, such as shot fallout distance, how to treat a firearm (such as checking it's empty when taking it out of a slip). What do you intend to shoot.

A few questions about whether you've any family issues, financial issues, basically checking you aren't a nut who might be dangerous when given a gun.

Most of the interview is spent listening to what they have to say, don't worry and don't be afraid to ask questions, they are usually happy to help and advise.

He asked 'why i wanted all these rifles' :o and 'that dog cant undo the door can he' at which point my gsd who had been loudly barking opened the door stood up and put both paws on his shoulders to say hi and then sat beside him drowl dribbling onto his trousers,he didnt stay long :lol:

Heres what he asked me!!

Q. How long have you been shooting?

A. I've only fired a gun once, last month when I was at my friends farm

Q. What do you intend to shoot?

A. Vermin - crows, pigeons, rabbits - and clays, and if I'm ever lucky/rich enough, driven game!

Q. Why do you want a gun?

A. Ermmmm to go shooting!???:huh:

Q. Where are you going to go shooting?

A. A few lessons first to gen up on gun safety and how to mount/point/use it, then to (Insert names of various farmers here) to shoot vermin. (I already had some permissions sorted before I applied for my SGC.

Q. Who else has access to your flat?

A. Landlord (at the time) had access, but he is also a SGC holder and was the one who got me into shooting (had to give his name & address) so that wasn't a problem!

Just chill, and be honest. They will have done the background checks on you before they decide to come out :good: . Also mention that you are joining/ave joined BASC :good: for the insurance if nothing else!

Edit for typos

Edited by WelshLamb

I found it quite strange really I don't know if it was because I was nervous but the questions were all about nothing really :/

suppose it's just so they can get the measure of you, turning up to greet him at the door in full camo with your trusty dog at your side may not be the way to go. ;)

I was honest and answered what he asked the best I could. I messed up once as I didn't have a good enough reason for wanting fac air aswell as rim fires so he said I had to loose one weapon of the three I asked for.

I just agreed with him and all was well. Not too fussed about fac air anyway. :) He did drop me in it tho phone call out of the blue am chilling on the sofa see you in 20 min ow **** ! Lol. :) :)

When I applied for my sgc in 1989 I don't remember being quizzed about much at all, just made sure I had a cabinet. :look: Much the same when I applied for my firearms in the early nineties, much has changed since then though and probably for the better,

Asked me what i did for a living, where I went (or wanted to go) shooting and general stuff like that. Really to just assess what type of person I was. He asked who else lived in the house or had access to the house - took their name, former address and job details. And that really was about it. He never wanted to see a gun cabinet or anything like that.

For the subsequent renewals they were pretty much the same, although the last one actually wanted to check the gun cabinet and check each serial number on each gun. Not had that done before, but each FEO is different.

Thanks for clearing that up guys, I am planning on applying for my SGC then going and having a starter course of 6 lessons so that I understand what to do e.g gun fit, safety, mounting the gun etc. If the FEO asks the safe shot fallout distance am I right in thinking that it is 270(minimum) Yards but 300 yards is the normal? Also will he mind that I have only ever done clays once when I was about 12? Or will I have to have had more experience than that to be able to be granted my SGC, sorry for all the questions it's just that I want to get it right, hopefully my Counter signatory is good and the form is filled out correctly, ive also got the passport photos done it's just the cabinet I need now.

When my FEO came round to check everying was ok, again living with parents. She asked my mum if she was happy with guns in the house... her reply wasn't exsactly encouraging! :blush:

A bit nervous in the interview but otherwise all went well, only fired a shotgun once a few years before, otherwise she advised to get a few lessons then purchase one. :good:

Thanks for clearing that up guys, I am planning on applying for my SGC then going and having a starter course of 6 lessons so that I understand what to do e.g gun fit, safety, mounting the gun etc. If the FEO asks the safe shot fallout distance am I right in thinking that it is 270(minimum) Yards but 300 yards is the normal? Also will he mind that I have only ever done clays once when I was about 12? Or will I have to have had more experience than that to be able to be granted my SGC, sorry for all the questions it's just that I want to get it right, hopefully my Counter signatory is good and the form is filled out correctly, ive also got the passport photos done it's just the cabinet I need now.

Saying 300 yards for shot fallout should be fine.

You don't need to have any experience of using shotguns to be granted a certificate, but if you've had a couple of lessons that will make them happy, they want to know you're safe.