remoulds/part worn

rustybucket

Hello, mate.

A tad facetious there but it did grab your attention.

Remoulds are OK up to a point and one major criterion is that like all other tyres they must be able to withstand the loads and speed of the vehicle to which they're fitted is capable. Personally, I would not risk fitting them on a family car or one that is driven consistantly at high speed. Ideal for the beat-up shoot Land Rover.

Part worn? Just one question: What happened to the vehicle that caused them to be removed before fully worn? MoT failure perhaps or perhaps a high speed crash which has damaged the cords with no sign of external damage. You'll never know and it may just be that you WILL never know. To be avoided like the plague.

I'm hoping someone else will come along and back me up on the last bit.

I am curious... planes, trucks and coaches all use remoulds.

Are car tyres different?

Can't answer for the others, but there's sound reasons why aircraft use remoulds and one which had the tyre been subject to road vehicle type use it would mean that it would not have been reshod. (Actually, between us, malkiserow, we've probably now put a load of people off flying - especially those who think that when they get on an aircraft it's actually 100% serviceable. :lol:)

You can have a great car, best breaks in the world etc but there is only one part in connection with the road. If I buy a new car my priority is to swap the tyres. We have a little run-around that does very few miles. Change them every 4 years whether they need it of not because they degrade in UV light.

What sort of vehicle is it and what size tyres?

Most part worn come from abroad where they legally must have more mm tread on. Correct me if I'm wrong but what I was told by a tyre fitting company. :good:

You are correct with regards to other country's having different legal tread depth's however there is evidence that a lot of tyre dealer's also buy from scrap yard's so you would never know where they came from.

I've never heard of remould's on commercial vehicle's, You can re-cut the tread on some commercial tyre's though.

Remoulded aren't or weren't allowed on PSV or steering axles on HGV re cuts are common on HGV and are designed to be cut. For a car just phone round a few places with the spec eg 195/65R15 ZR or what it says on the side wall or handbook there will be a range from budget to expsenive depending on usage and priority there will be a range of tyres to suit I normally only have Michelin but they don't seem to last as long toyo etc are cheaper and very sticky but wear out quicker, Dunlop are offering decent deals Costco are the cheapest for Michelin for me and stay away from ATS/Kwik rip off etc try a few local independents and compare to black circles etc online

You can have a great car, best breaks in the world etc but there is only one part in connection with the road. If I buy a new car my priority is to swap the tyres. We have a little run-around that does very few miles. Change them every 4 years whether they need it of not because they degrade in UV light.

What sort of vehicle is it and what size tyres?

its for a vectra and the wheels at the moment are 195 65 r 15 92 h

you can pick up part worn tyres for a bargain and more often than not if you buy them privately they have been taken off to replace all four and the two best ones get sold as part worns.

discretion is advised but if you have a look at the tyre inside and out you can see any impact stress marks or repairs.

Each to their own but I picked up two mint Hankook tyres with 6.5mm of tread for £30. Owner had just replaced them all round with Dunlops which he felt were a better brand.

I was on a Jonathan Palmer race day some years ago where we were giving the cars some serious abuse around Bruntingthorpe.

At the end of the days playing we were told that all of their cars were running on remoulds. If you can rag Mercs, Caterhams, Golf VR6 (it was some time ago) around various twisty and power courses on remoulds then I dont see the problem with the family runabout using them.

That said, I wouldnt use them on my cars as it still doesnt sit well with me.

At the end of the days playing we were told that all of their cars were running on remoulds. If you can rag Mercs, Caterhams, Golf VR6 (it was some time ago) around various twisty and power courses on remoulds

we're they road legal tyres? Or track tyres? Vectors are common as muck so loads of choice on new tyres verdestien are good and reasonable as are hankook etc lots of vectra taxis so should be decent deals and 195/65r15 is a very common size

Try mytyres £41 to £90 just depends on what you want - read tyre test for each one you look at - they give marks for wet grip which for me is most important 1 is good 5 is rubbish.

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?suchen=Ordern&cart_id=29105266.110.9002&ranzahl=4&Breite=195&Quer=55&Felge=15&Speed=H&kategorie=6&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=So&Ang_pro_Seite=15&weiter=0

First on list get's 2.9 out of 5 - so not good in my oppinion -

Fifth on list get's 1.9 out of 5 - that's one I would pick - I didn't look at them all but if there is a Uniroyal Rainexpert that's best for grip.

Add £10 at least a tyre for fitting

Dave

I have sometimes found a cheaper way of getting tyres was buy them on ebay then pay a local garage to fit them. Normally about £5 a wheel to fit and balance. I used to run Falken ZE912s on my previous cars (mazda 6 and volve v50) found them a good mid range tyre and lasted well, in the mazda i never lost grip round dry bends unless i did something very very stupid and they were good in the wet as well.

I am curious... planes, trucks and coaches all use remoulds.

Are car tyres different?

The casings on the tyres you mentioned are made to a much higher specification than car tyres so can be re-treaded.

Part worns are a hot topic at the moment. Auto Express recently tested 50 part worns and 49 of them were illegal. You may get lucky and get a good set but the chance is low. I wouldn't risk it, especially as the per millimetre cost of a new mid range tyre is often cheaper than the 2nd hand tyre.

we're they road legal tyres? Or track tyres? Vectors are common as muck so loads of choice on new tyres verdestien are good and reasonable as are hankook etc lots of vectra taxis so should be decent deals and 195/65r15 is a very common size

They were normal road tyres that were used. Cant remember the name of the company but it seemed to be a bit of advertising in exchange for a bit of discount.