closed season

Here is a good shooting tip.

If the pigeon and rabbits are not causing a problem on your patch leave them alone from the end of March until the end of June. Every thing needs a rest and time to breed. So many people shoot right threw the year and wonder why they don’t get much sport threw the true season.

We seem to have lost the closed season, and yes I can hear lots of you saying now there is no closed season on Rabbits and Pigeon, crows etc, and yes your right, but there used to be. Remember the saying “don’t eat a rabbit unless there is an R in the month”

The same was said of the pigeon.

This is what prompted me to post in the 1st place.

I was driving home the other day and spotted a mate of mine walking off his shooting patch. I pulled over for a chat as you do. Any luck I said as I could see he was carrying his gun. He took one rabbit (A milky doe) from his bag and threw it in the back of his Landrove, that will do for the ferrets. Nothing about, not really worth the walk but I need to get the dog out he said.

If there is not much about why shoot your breeding stock

Just my opinion, you can shoot me down now :shoot::cry1:

Edited by Actionpigeons

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pigeon and rabbits are major agricultural pests.

If they're feeding/causing damage they need dealing with. You mention sport and a true 'season', but that doesn't come into the equation.

It is purely and simply pest control.

If however they are not causing a problem, as you mentioned in your post, then they won't be around to shoot anyway!!

If they're feeding/causing damage they need dealing with. You mention sport and a true 'season', but that doesn't come into the equation.

If however they are not causing a problem, as you mentioned in your post, then they won't be around to shoot anyway!!

Pigeon are not in big flocks now and they a spread out all over the country with so much for them to eat at the min. so they are not causing any real problems unless they find some drilling. We don’t have a problem with rabbits in this area so to shoot the ones that are here and breeding would be a little foolish.

As I said if they are not causing a problem on your patch. If they are, you have them in numbers that do need dealing with

Edited by Actionpigeons

With birds and animals on the General Licence being recognised as agricultural pests, that suggests that they cause agricultural damage all year, a suggestion I agree with.

Just because there is not a flock of 500 pigeons causing damage in one area, that does not mean that 500 pigeons are not causing the same amount of damage.

Rabbits don't stop eating when they are breeding.

You also have the fact that milder Winters mean that breeding seasons have extended for most species to cover almost the whole year.

I have never heard of there ever being a season for pigeons, rooks and rabbits, or the expression "don’t eat a rabbit unless there is an R in the month".

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to adjust their shooting ethics accordingly.

With birds and animals on the General Licence being recognised as agricultural pests, that suggests that they cause agricultural damage all year, a suggestion I agree with.

Just because there is not a flock of 500 pigeons causing damage in one area, that does not mean that 500 pigeons are not causing the same amount of damage.

Rabbits don't stop eating when they are breeding.

You also have the fact that milder Winters mean that breeding seasons have extended for most species to cover almost the whole year.

I have never heard of there ever being a season for pigeons, rooks and rabbits, or the expression "don’t eat a rabbit unless there is an R in the month".

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to adjust their shooting ethics accordingly.

"don’t eat a rabbit unless there is an R in the month".

Is a very old country saying.

I always thought that saying was to do with fish,sardines I believe.Never heard it in connection with farming/rural/countryside...learn something everyday.

Your thinking of oysters but the same applies to Rabbits. Its just an old saying you can eat rabbits or oysters anytime as we all know :good:

Edited by Actionpigeons

We were pulling rabbits with kits and young uns whilst out with the ferts in December, try telling the rabbits about the close season.....

If the farmer rings says he has pigeons I go to at least try to shoot them any time of year, pest are pest and to preserve my sport I have to keep at em otherwise I would have no land to shoot over. A particular farm is mauled out with black stuff at the minute and I simply can't get there enough for him due to commitments so he has found another keen lad who can keep at em in the week and rightly so, if I tried to impose a close season I would be off the land for sure.

Karpman

We were pulling rabbits with kits and young uns whilst out with the ferts in December, try telling the rabbits about the close season.....

If the farmer rings says he has pigeons I go to at least try to shoot them any time of year, pest are pest and to preserve my sport I have to keep at em otherwise I would have no land to shoot over. A particular farm is mauled out with black stuff at the minute and I simply can't get there enough for him due to commitments so he has found another keen lad who can keep at em in the week and rightly so, if I tried to impose a close season I would be off the land for sure.

Karpman

As I said if they are not causing a problem on your patch. If they are, you have them in numbers that do need dealing with

"don’t eat a rabbit unless there is an R in the month".

Is a very old country saying.

They also say that about oysters, shellfish and pork. In fact, you can say it about anything. It means nothing. I like the old adage of, don't listen to old farmers tales on a day that has a Y in it.

You are shooting rabbit and pigeon because they are pests causing damage. In East Anglia alone, pigeons were responsible for £52 million in crop damage last year! Rabbits are estimated to cause up to £100 million in damage.

Don't need to be causing a problem round here mate, if you can see em they want you at em. If the farmer sees 2 it always 20 lol.

Karpman

Agreed.

nice if folk read the post before giving an opinion.

As I said, If they are causing a problem on your patch, you have them in numbers that do need dealing with.

we dont have rabbits in any real numbers around here so I dont shoot them in what I call out of season.

thats be-tween end of march untill the end of June for you that have not read the post

Shooting is not just about purely and simply pest control as one PW member has said, its about concevaiotion too.

I for one would not be happy walking across my patch and not seeing any Rabbits no matter how happy it would make the Farmer

Edited by Actionpigeons

nice if folk read the post before giving an opinion.

As I said, If they are causing a problem on your patch, you have them in numbers that do need dealing with.

we dont have rabbits in any real numbers around here so I dont shoot them in what I call out of season.

thats be-tween end of march untill the end of June for you that have not read the post

Shooting is not just about purely and simply pest control as one PW member has said, its about concevaiotion too.

I for one would not be happy walking across my patch and not seeing any Rabbits no matter how happy it would make the Farmer

I read the post, what I get is your calling for a close season as there used to be. But your trying not to upset anyone and stay neutral by putting it across as a tip.

This has all ready been done to death so people just browse the first post I guess because is just normally the same rubbish, its your patch do what you like I try to do my utmost to keep the farmers happy to keep my prolonged sport. I haven't wiped the rabbits out yet so doubt I will. I short for sport in the name of pest control all year round.

Cheers

Karpman

We have very few rabbits round here. As soon as you get to see 20 in a field mixxy seams to come and then you wont see any for a couple of years. As there is so few we don't shoot them much just in the middle of winter if we happen to see any while out foxing. All other vermin is shot whenever we can.

We have very few rabbits round here. As soon as you get to see 20 in a field mixxy seams to come and then you wont see any for a couple of years. As there is so few we don't shoot them much just in the middle of winter if we happen to see any while out foxing. All other vermin is shot whenever we can.

AT LAST A PM MEMBER WHO GETS WHAT IM ON ABOUT. :drinks: why shoot them when you have so few, leave them for the true season :thanks:

Edited by Actionpigeons

AT LAST A PM MEMBER WHO GETS WHAT IM ON ABOUT. :drinks: why shoot them when you have so few, leave them for the true season :thanks:

:hmm:

Pigeons and Rabbits are agricultural pests, not game and therefore NO season should or does exist. I will shoot them all year round.

But just in case i'm wrong, when is the "true season" for Rats, Squirrels, Magpies, Jays and Crows???

Edited by carpentermark

spot on.

also just because the pigeons are not on your patch at the min dosn,t mean that they won,t be a few months from now, most of our land hasn,t got a lot of birds showing not enough for decoying so don,t bother with them but give them 5 weeks from now they will be everywhere on it, just the way it happens around us

Of course not ALL shooting is about pest control.

The shooting of rabbit and pigeons is however nothing but pest control. It really is that simple. :yes:

so if you have very few rabbits on you patch you would shoot them all and have no sport in the winter months?

I don't see many rabbits on my 'patch' but I don't go looking for them, I'm mainly after pigeon. However, if I were to stumble across the odd rabbit I would shoot it. That's what's expected of me. The farmers on the land I shoot over don't give us permission to shoot for our sport. They give it so we can kill the pests on their land.

If I were to take a walk round and only see half a dozen pigeons all day long, would I shoot them? Absolutely. :yes:

How do you think the landowner would react if I let them fly by so they could reproduce and create a problem later in the year? I'm interested to know. :hmm:

I don't see many rabbits on my 'patch' but I don't go looking for them, I'm mainly after pigeon. However, if I were to stumble across the odd rabbit I would shoot it. That's what's expected of me. The farmers on the land I shoot over don't give us permission to shoot for our sport. They give it so we can kill the pests on their land.

If I were to take a walk round and only see half a dozen pigeons all day long, would I shoot them? Absolutely. :yes:

How do you think the landowner would react if I let them fly by so they could reproduce and create a problem later in the year? I'm interested to know. :hmm:

Absolutely 100% spot on my friend :good: