how long in the freezer

aga man

hello guys, just about to empty the chest freezer this week for a trip to the gamedealers. got me thinking about how long people deep freeze there pigeons for before taking them in. im taking a couple of hundred that have been there since early march. the dealer nevers seems to ask how long they have frozen for so i was just wondering :unsure:

hello guys, just about to empty the chest freezer this week for a trip to the gamedealers. got me thinking about how long people deep freeze there pigeons for before taking them in. im taking a couple of hundred that have been there since early march. the dealer nevers seems to ask how long they have frozen for so i was just wondering :unsure:

I've just roasted a pheasant that's been in my freezer since January, and it was hung for a week before I froze it. It was bloody lovely! :good:

thanks for the reply's chaps. glad you enjoyed your pheasant bluderbuss, such luxury eating roast pheasant in late may :good: i do let my pigeons cool off before freezing them tj but it is a very good point and something i didn't realise before someone told me. can't say i have ever noticed any freezer burn :unsure:

thanks for the reply's chaps. glad you enjoyed your pheasant bluderbuss, such luxury eating roast pheasant in late may :good: i do let my pigeons cool off before freezing them tj but it is a very good point and something i didn't realise before someone told me. can't say i have ever noticed any freezer burn :unsure:

the late great John Humphreys said once he found a grouse that he'd frozen years before in his freezer & still ate it!!!!

why do you have to make sure they cool before freezing?

hello pete, without getting to scientific with enzymes an ph i was told by butchers and gamedealers, that if the the fresh birds are not cooled to 40 degrees F or less the meat is said to get spoiled, which can effect meat flavour and texture when thawed. quite important when supplying resturants etc... sorry if this is a bit vaigue, but i often get asked when supplying pigeons if they were cooled before freezing :) perhaps someone more knowlegable than me can provide more info. take care bud, Aga man.

Edited by aga man

This may be a bit of a daft question I assume that the pigeons are still fully feathered and the game dealer takes them and then preps them. Are they only sold on unfrozen (vac packed?) and what would happen if the end user put them in a frezer again. I always thought that you could not re-freeze any meat & game that has already been frozen ??

BBL

This may be a bit of a daft question I assume that the pigeons are still fully feathered and the game dealer takes them and then preps them. Are they only sold on unfrozen (vac packed?) and what would happen if the end user put them in a frezer again. I always thought that you could not re-freeze any meat & game that has already been frozen ??

BBL

good point you make there fella. the birds go to the dealer as you say fully feathered etc. don't really know what happens to them from there on :hmm:

BBL

I used to think that, but heard an interesting program about food hygiene, freezing etc on radio 4 a few weeks ago. The main gist of the programme was about supermarket 'use by' and 'best before' dates. But it came out during the program that it's a fallacy that you can't refreeze meat that's already been frozen. If thawed properly (slowly in a fridge/chiller) and kept chilled, there's no reason why it can't be refrozen, possibly more than once. The big proviso is that if it's been allowed to get up to room temperature for any length of time, re freezing is not a good idea.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Guest g80sr

I used to think that, but heard an interesting program about food hygiene, freezing etc on radio 4 a few weeks ago. The main gist of the programme was about supermarket 'use by' and 'best before' dates. But it came out during the program that it's a fallacy that you can't refreeze meat that's already been frozen. If thawed properly (slowly in a fridge/chiller) and kept chilled, there's no reason why it can't be refrozen, possibly more than once. The big proviso is that if it's been allowed to get up to room temperature for any length of time, re freezing is not a good idea.

:lol: I think there must be summat wrong with my freezer. Pigeons dont last very long in it at all! I put a pigeon in last night and it was dead this morning!

you can freeze thaw and refreeze its just the powers that be covering their back side saying you cant i have done it many times in my own frozen meat not the meat at work mind before any one says anything,

you will find in the near future supermarkets will be doing away with best before dates

colin