Bruised bicep

Hi alI i'm still new to clay shooting , I'm waiting for my licence to drop through the door soon ,, anyway I've been shooting clays at my club for a month now and every time I come home after a days shoot I've got a bruised bicep :/ is it because I'm using the club gun so it doesn't fit me well or because I'm not mounting my gun properly??? Any ideas :unsure:

Hi there.

I'm no expert however a bruised bicep indicates that your not holding the gun correctly. It should be shouldered, not on your bicep. Also are you holding it tight in so the force backwards maybe reduced?

Kind regards

Jonathan

Hi , thinking about it I dont hold it very tight against my shoulder, I'll try that ,but the butt sits in between my shoulder and shoulder blade, looks like the other side of the comb is bashing on my bicep :look:

It sounds as though your holding the gun to far over toward your arm. Or you could be holding it canted over slightly. Really you should have been pulled up for both by your instructor!

I have used many calibre shotguns from 16 gram shot through to 66 gram and never bruised my arm?

Then again I am not a small chap, but still you should not be bruising yourself with a 28g load.

If you have done all you have been taught and are infact holding the gun right I would suggest either a heavier gun which would help absorb the recoil, or reduce the load to a 24g.

Perhaps using a recoil type semi auto may help either? There are Gas operated and Recoil operated. Gas would use a small amount of pressure vented from the barrel to cycle the next shot. Recoil uses the recoil by forcing the barrel back on a spring to cycle and in doing so removes a LOT of felt recoil.

Hope you get it sorted.

ATVB

I would say get some qualified help as soon as you're able. Meanwhile try raising your elbow - not forcing it up - just raise it comfortably without effort. If you put your finger-tips on your other hand where you think the stock should sit, as you raise the elbow, you'll then feel the "pocket" where it should go open up in your shoulder.

see coach.

shoot gun up for a bit and turret your whole body,most likely is you are moving the gun on crossers BUT not moving your body hence gun slipping/recoiling away from your shoulder and onto your bicep...a bruised bicep will not help your shooting as you will start to flinch think more about about recoil than the business end. Don't worry though v .common and easy fix go have a lesson(or ideally 2/3)...atb

Strangely enough I have woken this morning with a bruised bicep - I know exactly why and it is because ok lack of practice at mounting the gun. I shot a 50 bird sporting comp on Saturday which is the first time I have shot since November so I was very rusty (29 scored) - because I call for the bird without mounting the gun and then react to it I had to mount the gun quickly and to start with my mount was all wrong.

Try practicing mounting the gun smoothly in front of a mirror.

You may be standing too sideways on, stand a bit more square on.

You may be dropping your head and hunching your shoulders onto the gun. Lift the gun up to your head.

You may be lifting your head off the stock as you fire.

The stock of the gun may be too short.

You may need to lift the elbow of your trigger hand.

You may think that you are shouldering the gun into the pocket but it may be mounting onto the ball of the shoulder.

It could be some or all of the above.

As has been said, a session with a qualified coach and practice mounting in a mirror could save you a lot of discomfort. :oops: