First go at DTL

pin

Had my first DTL shoot today really good! Had 2 rounds 20/19, any tips on choke choice for this dicipline? I had my normal 1/4 and 1/2 as I always do..

How many in an average round of DTL?

I used to have a problem with DTL but it got sorted with a better fitting gun.

I find a can of Redbull does the trick and try and get 'em early.

Pin,

DTL really requires more choke than 1/4 and 1/2. By the time you get that second barrel off the bird is a long way out.

The majority of DTL shooters use 3/4 and Full, with some going for Full and Extra Full to get consistent patterns

at that distance.

• 5 weeks later...

I like 7 1/2's I tend to use them for everything, sporting, skeet, DTL. Anything with a clay involved. I think once you can hit a decent number they break targets more consistently.

They way I figure it, if I miss I normally miss behind or over the top. More pellets in the pattern won't help me there :good:

Pin

I had always been an advocate for using 1/2 and 3/4 at DTL

but last weekend i shot it with 1/4 and 1/2 coz i couldn't be ***** to change them and shot a 73 ex 75 having just two second barrel kills from 25 birds

i really am starting to sway to all this choke business being ******** to certain degree

my old man shoots skeet / skeet at pretty much everything other than extreme range he swears blind that the plas wad does a lot of the work of the choke

i was using Hull Sovereign FITASC in 8's by the way

this choke talk really is one baby that won't go to bed

but after reading many comments on this forum i must say that my opinion has changed somewhat

up shot is is my opinion

do what works for you :good: B) :lol:

i shot DTL for the 1st time on holiday

combination of Blue Diamonds 8's and nobelosporter 7 1/2's (just two carts i had to hand), through my miroku mk 70 sporter with teague 1/4 and 1/2

shot 20 and a 25 (out of 25)

Why do people think they need more choke? on this day the wind was playing tricks, so you had to shoot them early or you stood no chance. never had a break i would have called edge of the pattern. The teagues probably helped, but in my experiance 1/4 and 1/2 is fine when your trying to put up some good scores.

If your practicing for a big comp and want deffinate no hole patterns and a tight pattern to help teach 'accuracy' then sure 3/4 and full (the perazzi come with a fixed barrel for a reason right?) But if your trying to build confidence and scores, the i dont see why you should need 3/4 to shoot DTL.

3/4 and full for me and imho choke DOES make a difference, why would the good lads bother?

cheers KW

I think you are bang on KW, once you are good enough they make all the difference, until you are its another thing to get in the way of learning to shoot properly.

I am nowhere near experienced enough to assert that, its just my opinion. Digweed et al will use full/full at most things because they are that good, they are hitting the clay in the centre of the pattern whatever that pattern is so why not use full choke? Means you dust the clay every time.

Tosspot is right, whatever works for you is the right way. Just like stance and posture and technique, if its working for you its the right way.

3/4 and full for me and imho choke DOES make a difference, why would the good lads bother?

cheers KW

I think you are bang on KW, once you are good enough they make all the difference, until you are its another thing to get in the way of learning to shoot properly.

I am nowhere near experienced enough to assert that, its just my opinion. Digweed et al will use full/full at most things because they are that good, they are hitting the clay in the centre of the pattern whatever that pattern is so why not use full choke? Means you dust the clay every time.

Tosspot is right, whatever works for you is the right way. Just like stance and posture and technique, if its working for you its the right way.

it is my understanding that they do this simply as a way of removing an element of chance from the equation. They know that if they use super full/ Full and miss, then they missed, the bird didnt slip through a hole in the pattern etc..

I also had a days shooting with a fella who shoots with digweed etc.. and he claimed he used full so he could tell if he was front edging etc... the target. Personally im not so sure about this, but its what keeps him happy. It certainly works for him, i can tell you that.

I would be intrested to give my gun to someone who shoots a tight choke and let them try and estimate the choke it had in it. I would bet they couldnt tell. With the teagues you just dont need a tight choke to get a good concentration of shot on longer targets. Certainly no one like me will be able to say 3/4 would deffiantly get me X number of birds more, because my pattern is just falling to bits.

I'm not a great fan of changing choke, i am however a great fan of using things which give you the upper hand. But in my very limited experiance of DTL i have not found a 1/4 teague to be a problem on even 2nd barreled birds.