Dog or no dog

unapalomablanca

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that I'd enjoy a shoot day without the gun a lot more than a shoot day without the dog.

Yeah, me too. Mine was injured for the last 4 weeks of the season a few seasons ago.... a thoroughly miserable experience rough shooting without my mutt. Made me wonder if I'd bother if I couldn't have one for some reason

In spite of all the opinionated drivel on this thread, whether you need a dog or not is largely down to 1) the type of shooting you are doing and 2) whether you shoot with friends who are prepared to work their dogs on your behalf.

I have dogs, always will. A good shooting mate does not, his lifestyle does not permit. I am happy to pick up after him on a duck flight or work a spaniel we can both shoot over on a rough day, he is happy to put a bit more work into the shoot than I can when his time permits.

If you're standing on a peg with a picking up team behind you, IMO a dog is a waste of time and can distract you from shooting. Conversely, if you're 'fowling on the foreshore on your own then a dog is essential.

How do people prefer a shoot day without their gun? :hmm:

its why so many enjoy going beating, you get to work your dog and see a lot of shooting. I enjoy that very nearly as much as doing the actual shooting. Its why you get so many beaters and picker uppers from all walks of life, a lot of ours could afford to be doing the shooting if they really wanted but instead watch and work their dogs.

How do people prefer a shoot day without their gun? :hmm:

i have never shot driven pheasant (neither do i want to)i dont mind picking up one bit though, am i not on a shooting day without a gun? I have tracked deer for others and i know who feels better about the process