Same rape field

motty

After last week's 110 bag on a new piece of ground, i thought i'd go and check it out again. On Wednesday afternoon i had a quick look (about 2pm)and saw about 30 birds land on the rape in about 2 minutes. I had yesterday booked off so i decided to invite Sam again.

He arrived at the entrance to the field at about 8.40 yesterday. He walked his gear over and put off around 4-500 birds. More were on their way in when i arrived at 9.00.

We set up more towards the middle of the field to hopefully get the birds coming on a better line from the main roosting wood that was just in front of us.

We deployed 2 magnets this time and started with 20 flocked shells.Again, the hide was in the ditch. Around 15 fresh birds were added on cradles as soon as we shot them.

It started off quite slowly, killing about 30 in the first couple of hours. Crucially,the pigeons seemed to be decoying better this week. Sam wasn't at his best and he was annoyed at some of the easier birds that he missed.

By about 2pm we were stuck on 78 with very little pigeon movement. We decided to have a break.We went to get more drink from the shop and checked a freshly drilled pea field up the road.Shooting recommenced when we returned, with a nice few birds coming in. We reached 97 and thought we may just scrape 100.

Within a few minutes the ton was notched. We kept having crazy periods with birds constantly diving in over the decoys. The 150 was soon down and they just kept on coming.

The farmer came to cut the grass verges of the field and i'm glad that we kept dropping the pigeons with him watching.

Sam kept saying we'd reach 200, but i was convinced we'd run out of birds. But, even with a real slowdown just before getting there, we made it at around 7pm.

It was another great day, we ended wih 202. I'm not finished with that field yet.

post-2090-0-09300400-1337977330.jpg

post-2090-0-18026100-1337977340.jpg

post-2090-0-25074700-1337977381.jpg

post-2090-0-56831100-1337977388.jpg

good stuff again motty :good:

the 2 magnets did there job then ;)

Yeah, i was surprised really - magnets have never worked for me before.. ;)

what do you do with the birds?

All birds go to the game dealer unless i keep a few for barbecues etc. Only problem this time of year is keeping the birds cool. All last weeks birds went in the freezer. This week i put about 40 in the fridge, the rest were left on the outhouse floor overnight.