.22lr scope

Shotgun jimmy

Hi fellas,

Im after a new scope for my 22lr for shooting rabbits.

I already have two mtc mamba scopes, one on an airgun and another on a different 22lr.

These scopes are great for daytime use and the reticle is greatfor a 22lr for holding over references.

Problem is, I do most of my rabbit shooting this time of year at twighlight and I find its one if the best times for me to shoot them and the scopes ability atthis time of day leaves alot to be desired as clarity isnt as good as id like.

So....

I need a good reliable scope with good holdover points on the reticle and good clear glass with out spending a fortune!

Any suggestions to what to buy?

Garry

TBH, I wasn't too fussed as to what I put on the LR for the summer (just taken off the 550), being happy with whatever the RFD recommended. Have to say that I'm quite pleased with the Leapers Accushot Swat. Comes with 2 colour IR (which I don't think that I've ever actually used on any scpoe I've had which have had it fitted), 4" sunshade and flip open lens covers - the latter 2 being handy. 30mm tube and the model is 4-16 by 56 SWAT Mil-Dot

My local has got some nikko sterling diamond 4-16x56 and they are very very clear, 30mm tube and less than £200. I can't fault my nikon prostaff 3-9x40 its got the bdc reticle which you can use there website to see what all your aim points are for different calibre and brands of ammo. good clear scope and not mega money new.

Buy it on the Glass quality, not the magnification, lens size illuminated reticules or other gimics. In low light you will struggle with many multi aim point reticules, many lower quality illuminated will be too bright and ruin your pupil dilation so personally i should forget them and go for a good relivively thick cross hair. 4X32, 6x42 or 8x56 all have equal light gathering and all have enough magnification for bunnies. I think S&Bender Hungarian or Meopta will fit the bill and actually use the same glass

Thanksfor the replies so far lads!

While googling a few scopes I came across the leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR scope.

EFR means extended focal range which means it can focus down to ten yards which would be great for range finding quickly aswell but the obj lense is a bit small at 40 mm.

Does anyone have one or has used one?

i agree with kent, on a 22lr there is no need for gimics, go for a fixed power with good glass. i bought a second hand leupold 6x42 off the bay not long ago and put it on the 22 and it wont be coming off again, its great, nothing to fiddle with, nothing to think about, just get the target in the cross hairs and pull the trigger, simples.

For the last two years i have been using an MTC Mamba on my CZ 22lr. I have just recently bought a Lightstream 4.5-14x44 which is in the first field plane( now fitted to the CZ) . Comparing it to the MTC, it just blows the MTC glass away for clarity.

Having been out at last light and also lamping the reticle is very clear, even when not turning the lamp up to full power( to illuminate the rabbits)

. I have zeroed the sight at 60 yards,the hold over for 5o yards( above) and 70 yards ( below) are in the space between the first mill dot and cross hair, so not ideal but if you have time it is easy to make the alteration with the elevation turret, the clicks are very positive so it is easy to adjust at night without light.

Thanksfor the replies so far lads!

While googling a few scopes I came across the leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR scope.

EFR means extended focal range which means it can focus down to ten yards which would be great for range finding quickly aswell but the obj lense is a bit small at 40 mm.

Does anyone have one or has used one?

Yes and it comes in a smaller mag and 33mm objective. The above one you mentioned would be the scope of choice for targets. BUT forget such things for bunnies, forget rangefinding also, zero subs at 50 yds and depending on scope height etc its point and shoot with subs on a bunnies head to around 60 yds, after that you know to apply progressive hold over- for ease in the begining years just chest shoot at the longer range ones (or get closer). Peak trajectory shouldn't rise much more than say 1/2" before your zero and drop wont be much to worry over up to 60 so forget all the twiddling and fiddling, if you need windage hold off if you need some trajectory compensation hold over. P/A adjustable scopes are better for targets due to cross hair wandering on poor head alignment 20x mag is good for ammo testing at extended ranges but pretty much useless on bunnies. Say again "keep it simple and pay for the glass not the gimics" :good: