Cz452

bullet1747

Subsonic rounds (hollow-point) for hunting. They are more accurate and quieter than the higher velocity stuff (which offers very little extra power or flatter trajectory), the best choice for most hunting jobs.

I use Winchester 40g Super X subsonic quite happily, there are other brands available too, I'm sure they're all OK.

I'm another happy Eley subs user. I find, in my rifle, they are accurate, quiet and reliable.

I would suggest you get a box or two of several different makes. Your rifle WILL perform differently with each type, you need to select the best, and in my mind that means the most accurate. If you are hunting you will usually want a sub-sonic hollow point.

When you are testing them, try to be serious about your accuracy. Shooting beercans at 30 yards is great fun but it wont tell you much about your group size at 80 yards.

Shoot from a really solid position, bi-pod or a good sandbag etc. Decide on your zero range, 50 yds would be a good starting point. When about zeroed (you will need to come back to this when you have selected your ammo) shoot groups of 5 shots at known ranges, buy yourself a pack of blank postcards for targets so you can write what range it was shot at and what bullet.

Once you have found the right ammo, go and buy a brick of 500 from the same batch and stick to that ammo, the rifle wont like changing and you need to get used to the drop of that exact round, don't expect the point of impact to be the same at 70 yards if you swap from Eleys to Winchester subs.

Don't go for the cheap option - I'm a tight wad but the few pence you might save buying sub-standard could work out expensive if you get one stuck up the spout and launch another up behind it.