Punchy guns

Wriggler

Are some guns a bit more punchy than others or is it just down to inconsistant mounting?

I only ask as first time out with a new gun I have a nice mark on my shoulder, not quite a bruise but a bit on the sore side.

I was using white gold in 28g 7.5, I usually shoot the same in Kent velocity.

I have an old o/u that I shoot with occasionally and have never been marked but I have for the last few months been shooting a semi auto so maybe I developed a bad habit or two from this and with reduced recoil never noticed.

The semi auto was too short in the stock and the new gun is the same length as the older o/u just a little higher on the comb, only a few mm though.

is your new gun lighter than your old o/u? that could be your problem. my o/u is heavy'ish,it doesn't mark my shoulder even if i'm shooting in a vest,but it did use to knock my cheek (this is down to me not mounting the gun right),my sbs is light but doesn't knock my shoulder either,although it does somehow start to bruise or cut my trigger or middle finger sometimes.

I tried for a few, well, many years to get away with shooting right handed shotguns off the left shoulder. You can learn to shoot them but it was not until I had a little sxs fitted that I realised what I had been putting up with for years. You right handers are spoilt for choice! If a gun does not fit you it can and will let you know.

atvb Paul.

Are some guns a bit more punchy than others or is it just down to inconsistant mounting?

I only ask as first time out with a new gun I have a nice mark on my shoulder, not quite a bruise but a bit on the sore side.

I was using white gold in 28g 7.5, I usually shoot the same in Kent velocity.

I have an old o/u that I shoot with occasionally and have never been marked but I have for the last few months been shooting a semi auto so maybe I developed a bad habit or two from this and with reduced recoil never noticed.

The semi auto was too short in the stock and the new gun is the same length as the older o/u just a little higher on the comb, only a few mm though.

there certainly are. weight, stock design, cones and choke all have a bearing. though bad mounting will make things worse

there certainly are. weight, stock design, cones and choke all have a bearing. though bad mounting will make things worse

Bad mounting and fit are the usual problems but some guns do buck more than others, a mates got a little single barrelled 12gauge with a hammer action and you know you've fired it when putting 32gr carts down the tube, on the other hand an auto will have alot less recoil.

Yes guns do vary, lighter guns kick more but there are other differences, some flip more for example. Semi's have less recoil.

If your feeling it then it's either a bad or inconsistent mount, or a bad fit. The stock of the gun should fit in your shoulder properly, if the entire butt-pad isn't in your shoulder (i.e the top or bottom edge digging in leaving the other part not touching) then that's bad fit and will cause discomfort.

weight has a lot to do with felt recoil, i remember firing a 2oz AAA express cartrige through my tightly choked single baikal, it felt as though my brains were going to run out my nose. at the time i had a spanish side by side that had 'solway magnum' stamped on it, it was a heavy gun with 32" barrels and tight chokes and i could fire those heavy 2oz loads through that gun fine, admittedly its not a combination you would fire all day in a t-shirt and shooting vest :/

Yes guns do vary, lighter guns kick more but there are other differences, some flip more for example. Semi's have less recoil.

If your feeling it then it's either a bad or inconsistent mount, or a bad fit. The stock of the gun should fit in your shoulder properly, if the entire butt-pad isn't in your shoulder (i.e the top or bottom edge digging in leaving the other part not touching) then that's bad fit and will cause discomfort.

My side by side fits very well, and my mount is good and consistant. However, with standard (28g) clay loads it really bashes me about. The combination of your personal build, type of gun you're using and the cartridges being fired can also have an effect on how punchy you percieve a gun to be.

I went out today and got one of the instructors at the ground to have a quick look at my gun fit.

Half an hour later and with a nice bit of adaptation to my comb, about 5mm in height added I went out and shot.

I hit an extra 20 clays over last time out and felt a lot better, I was using 21g carts to lessen recoil as well.

I still felt the kick off the 28g carts, I had to try a couple just to check, but overall it was a lot better experience.

I could do with a little more length on the LOP but I'll be able to get that with a recoil pad.