22 Winchester subsonic

Guest jonrms

Guest jonrms

Went shooting last night after I zero'd in... but some bullets were falling short by far! and some curving to the right / left....

anyway went to the gun club this morning to check if it was me or not... and did some target practice... where I know i excel (sorry not blowing my trumpet or anything here!) but noticed that on a 25 yard range the bullets where grouping well with the occasional almost every 4th one going off.... about 1/4 inch away... and no set pattern.. i have 2 clips thinking that it could be one clip as a issue.. but no....

any ideas? anyone had any other problems?

Went shooting last night after I zero'd in... but some bullets were falling short by far! and some curving to the right / left....

anyway went to the gun club this morning to check if it was me or not... and did some target practice... where I know i excel (sorry not blowing my trumpet or anything here!) but noticed that on a 25 yard range the bullets where grouping well with the occasional almost every 4th one going off.... about 1/4 inch away... and no set pattern.. i have 2 clips thinking that it could be one clip as a issue.. but no....

any ideas? anyone had any other problems?

Jon

Welcome to the world of £3 a box rimfire ammo :lol: although I found it ok at 50 yds but experience taught me not to expect to much ..........the same inconsistancy occurrs in expensive stuff as well :P

IMO a typical characteristic of this calibre ;)

Guest jonrms

;) I am puzzled... the ammo we use at the gun club is cheap and is very accurate... I have NEVER had any go off course.... I can honestly say that...

I am thinking of getting some from the club on friday night and trying it out on the field... but i dont think it is high in grain...

I will have to do a ballistic test with the two... and maby add a high velocity box as well... I will try them out and put some photos of my findings on here... As I said.. I didnt know if it was because it was hallow point... or if it was winchester... but I have never had this problem down a range... or field before... hmmm

gonna have to try out some ammo...... :lol:

I have an Anshutz .22 rimmy it doesnt like winchesters looks more like the spread from a shotgun.

now eley they are a different matter nice tight groups.

Try different types of ammo and see which one suits your gun best.

PS My mate uses whinchesters and they are great in his gun. :lol:;):P

Guest jonrms

I havnt tried eleys yet.. going to... thats what the club rifles use... and they always worked great..

my spread is like you said... I have just come back from the gun club and will post photos of the targets at 25 yards.... so you can see... its shotgun heaven... or hell in my case.. because I have a 22 bolt action rimmy... ahhhhhh.

lol well will let you guys see... then will get eleys tommorow.. and put those results up on the forum...

see the differance.

Try chambering the rounds and then extracting them and look for damage to the bullet etc.

Strange an accurate gun suddenly fires badly,have you cleaned it recently.it might need to foul up a bit again to settle down,have you checked the crown of the barrel for damage.

Perhaps you just have a **** batch of ammo.

I,ve been dowb this road to and know how frustrating it can be.

Guest jonrms

OK OK I know there is a million things that can go wrong.. anyway heres some more info..

no barrel damnage.

and heres some more facts.. see below.

first pic is from cold... and 10 shots were fired... just over a 50 pence size .. see pic below. but ALL were done at 25 yards.

latestbatch022zk2.th.jpg

Next this is a pic with the top targe on one clip and the bottom on another clip... this has the sound mod on and the barrel is now warm... see pic below. pps not bad grouping but no where near as good as when I use the clubs ammo.

latestbatch023gx5.th.jpg

And heres two photos... the first is the clip one with out the sound mod.. and the second is clip two without the sound mod... note the huge differance and spread... I was talking to " another member " on the forum who said the he believes it is normally the other way around.. ie spread with the sound mod on and vice versa.. but mine seemed to spread alot more without the mod on.. see below for the pics...

latestbatch024hz6.th.jpg

latestbatch025io4.th.jpg

I have not cleaned it yet.. as it appears very clean! I am a bit puzzled.. but I think that its something to do with the ammo... will try as I said the Eley's and see what the results show....

Guest jonrms

so any clues as to these points...

why is there more a spread without the sound mod than with?

and why is the ammo going all over the place?

anyway will try new ammo tommorow as I said.. the gunshop didnt have eleys in.. ******!

Whatever you do don't clean it, the barrel needs to have a coating of lubricant on it, which comes from the grease of the bullet.

After cleaning my Anschutz once it grouped similar to yours and took about 150 rounds to settle down.

I would definetly try different ammo, if it is targets you are shooting then you will go a long way to beat Lapua Master "M" rounds. I use them at my club and they are £4 a box.

I have just bought some Eley match EPS but as yet haven't tried them.

Happy Shooting

Martin

Guest jonrms

I will try differant ammo.. but I didnt seem to have any problem with it yesterday.. ALL head shots at aprox 70 yards.... mayby more..but its hard to say... defo not less!

I am shocked on how well its behaveing...

it was **** before! (excuse my language) but it appears to be fine now... (bipolar your gonna like it now)

Well total from last night... 7 shots taken... 6 rabbits taken...

my fault on the first shot... and missed... but it hit a mud backstop and no ric................. :no:

OH DEAR WHAT HAVE I DONE,i went to my local gunshop to get some .22rf,i normaly use eley's.My brno mod 2e loves them.The man in the shop hadn't got any and didn't know when there was a delivery,so i brought 500 winchester got them cheap cos he hadn't got what i wanted £25 which wasn't bad.I'm going to give them a go in the morning see what happens.Also brought a couple of boxes of .243 100grn winchester to try,he brought a load off another gun shop because they where in the old boxes people didn't want them.

jonrms what mod have u got,on my 22lr i have parker hale,i found what caused my shotie efect the bullet was hitting the baffles inside,took it back to the shop for exchange, still the same problem ,took the rifle to the gunsmith and the thread on the barrel was off,silencer was not screwing on true he was able to rethread, now perfect i have cz 452 and use winchester super x,bench rest in my garden one hole groups at 50 yrds.hope this gives you something else to check :P

Guest jonrms

seems fixed !!!! after several hundred rounds of ammo put through it it works.. i still got some eleys but they are standard and match eleys.. not subsonics... better suited for target practice and maby a fox as they are HV but anyway.... the rifle is shooting true and i am more than happy. did alot of bunny bashing with it.. averaging shot was about 70 yards away... but truely awesome...

going to have to bring my fac cert to local police station to inform them of my new rifle.... and also applying for a .22 semi and a .223 as well.

Guest jonrms

Well brought my FAC to the police station.. after a bit of chatting up the lady on the phone.. and stating that i had applyed for my varation etc when i applyed.... she agreed and put a .22 (bolt/semi) on my cert.... and also another sound mod... FREE OF CHARGE!!!!! I was well pleased with this..

I ran out and couldnt find a nice semi that I wanted.... so I bought the next best thing... another bolt action..... lol!

well pics to follow... no doubt bipolar and I will pose for the camera at some point.... and this means even more bunny bashing..

• 2 weeks later...

Eley Match EPS should be subsonic. All target ammo from Eley should be between 1038 and 1080 fps. If you are buying Match EPS it should group to around a 10p group at 100 yards and a 5p group at 50M using a match rifle (and of course no wind etc).

On the comments on cleaning, again information from my match rifle, after a good clean with a phosphor bronze brush it takes about 5 shots to settle back to the normal mean point of impact. Comments on the lube and cleaning, make sure after cleaning you lube the barrel with a LIGHT dressing of lubricant. Sometimes people shoot a rifle immediately after cleaning and may experience the first round going supersonic, due to the barrel not having its normal level of bullet lube in the barrel.

smallbore