Why has clay shooting gone away from origins

ChrisAsh

I wonder why mounted gun has crept into clay shooting rather than unmounted

I know it's allowed and gives longer time to shoot in that you dont have to waste time mounting and dont need the skill of mounting acuratly every shot, BUT

Traditionally our sport was bringing shooting game into a small area where it could be duplicated throughout the year, first with live birds, then with glass balls and finally with clays

Probably 80% seem to shoot mounted and whilst in the rules etc just seems unfair to allow such major discrepencies in the rule book,Maybe we need to seperate scores depending on chosen style of shooting

It is now a sport in it's own right. It use to be as practice for game but now it is a stand alone sport and has a set of rules as such.

As above- you can always shoot fitasc if you feel it evens the playing field. Personally I'd just carry on and if you feel you want to shoot gun down then do so! I probably shoot gun up for 80% of the time, but there are presentations tht are better shot gun down.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it chap :-)

The targets have also changed, if you want it to stay close to its origins then most of the target presentations you see at the clay ground would have to go as well as I have never seen game behave anything like most of the target presentations nowadays.

As has been said it’s now a sport and if you want to shoot just gun down then go and shoot fitasc or Olympic Skeet, I know some great shots that shoot mainly gun down and would argue it is the best way to shoot, if you feel it’s a disadvantage then shoot gun up.

I use both ways and think the sport is better because it allows me to do so.

Have to agree with Ed here - I have never shot game - came into clays when I hit 40 - never shot a gun before - It bares no resemblence to game shooting at all now and to me it is a sport in it's own right - something that I have enjoyed since I started - If you want to shoot gun down go ahead - I know a lot of good clay shooters who do - :good: - I use a mix - gun up/gun down just depends on how long you can see clay.

Dave

Timp's beat me to it while I was one finger typing

Edited by DSPUK

I wonder why mounted gun has crept into clay shooting rather than unmounted

I know it's allowed and gives longer time to shoot in that you dont have to waste time mounting and dont need the skill of mounting acuratly every shot, BUT

Traditionally our sport was bringing shooting game into a small area where it could be duplicated throughout the year, first with live birds, then with glass balls and finally with clays

Probably 80% seem to shoot mounted and whilst in the rules etc just seems unfair to allow such major discrepencies in the rule book,Maybe we need to seperate scores depending on chosen style of shooting

This is actually not the case at all except of course for Trap disciplines. We could perhaps go back to the days when F1 drivers had to run and get into their cars when the light went green!

Things move on, and as has been said clay shooting is a sport in its own right.

Besides you wouldn't wear a clay vest while shooting game would you?

You can always rely on the Manchester Mafia for an entertaining comment. Spear up or Spear down? You see, it is a perenial problem.

:blink: :blink:

I personally felt allowing gun mounted for English Skeet was a bit of a backwards step, however, it is optional not compulsory but most people now seem to do it, or just drop the gun out a tad.

Some disciplines state gun down is compulsory, FITASC, OSK for example, but as far as I am aware none state gun up except for the section which says "The gun must be seen to be fully mounted in the shoulder at the moment the shot is taken".

Clay shooting is often viewed as a seperate sport these days, especially if shooting CPSA and ISSF disciplines and many clay shooters would never want to shoot game or any living creature. They still enjoy the sport.

For those who wish to shoot gun down just avoid OSK and FITASC. I have even see someone shoot half tidy scores at DTL gun down so the choice is there.

You are all naturally correct in your views, it is the way the sport has moved, but to me it just seems more natural and dare I say sporting to be unmounted and by sporting i mean to learn the traditional skills of a good mount, anyway whatever gives you the best enjoyment of a good sport

ps simplistic was ment for the FITASC ( what a stupid name that is) comment

Each to his own I say,

A Friend and I started Shooting at the same time, I always shoot gun down, he always pre mounts we have very similar scores.

I just find I am more relaxed gun down, the whole motion of move, mount shoot feels good :)

perhaps I could get better scores mounted but it just does not feel right for me :)

As a certain well known clay shooter once said........."It ain't figure skating, you don't get points for style".

How true, gun up, gun down, who cares..?

Cat.

There's a young Polish chap who visits our club during summer and he shoots everything gun down including DTL and ABT, he hardly ever misses a bird and he's always 25 straight on trap.

Best of it is though he shoots with an old SxS hammer gun, some of our better trap shooters get a bit peeved with him for he calls 'pull' as he's closing the gun, he really is that fast. :good: