Is this a good choice for first gun?

nedediah

I am a new shooter and am waiting (as patiently as possible!) for my SGC to arrive. Yesterday I visited an open day by Avalon Guns. Having spoken to the chief honcho and asked his advice, I have put down a deposit on a second hand Miroku Mk 38 with fixed chokes (1/4 & 3/4), 30 inch barrels, as he advised me this would be a very good gun to get me started & beyond. I noticed that there was also a Browning B525 multi-choke for the same price, but he advised me that the Miroku was the better option. Having since trawled the forums, I am beginning to wonder whether I have had really sound advice, or whether he saw me coming and shifted a gun that had been on his shelf for rather too long. I had a shoot with the Miroku and liked it well enough, but then I have very little experience and could probably be persuaded that a blunderbuss was the weapon of choice ! I expect to be mostly shooting English Sporting clays. Am I being paranoid? I expect I could change my mind and opt for the Browning instead : informed opinion would be much appreciated.

Ned

I shoot clays fine with my fixed choke fence post, personally I wouldn't worry yourself with chokes in the early stages and would just worry about hitting the clay and the actual gun being a good fit.

I take it the Avalon guys checked the fit?

Edited by Livefast123

I will offer my advice even though I dont shoot clays and dont own a O/U. I guess the two guns fall within your budget so handle them both and see which one fits you best, gun fit is very important. If you prefer one to the other and it dont come up well ask if they will alter it to fit you. Multi-choke is handy but but many people just stick to the same chokes anyway. Find out about parts availability, hopefully you wont need any. Barrel length is not important in my view, I shoot with a 30" auto for the marsh and use it for pigeons, and a AYA no4 with 26" barrels for game and occasional pigeons!!

I dont know much about O/U's so my choice would be what fits best and condition of it. Incidentally did the guy selling you the gun see how the gun fitted you ??

Good Luck with whatever you finish up with.

iv been shooting now for just over a year and yes i do agree that when you start you dont need to concern yourself with different chokes its always good to have your first gun a multi choke as you have the option to change them when you get better rather than having to buy a new gun with money being tight in this ecomony, just my opinion

get the browning, 1/4 and 3/4 is not a very good choke set up for clays, your better with 1/4 and 1/2 or even cyl and skeet if your lay out is only out to 30 yards, dont get too hung up on chokes just yet, if your on the bird you could have full choke. id sooner have the multichoke for resale value, from experience you never keep your first gun too long, but the bottom line is gun fit every time.

This is just my personal opinion as i dont know you and havent seen you shoot.

Did you shoot either at the open day?

HOw many times have you shot?

The staff at avalon's job is to sell guns thats it.... a FC MK38 should be cheaper than MC browning 525 for the same condition, grade etc

What is the price? I shot sporting recently with 1/2 and 3/4 in i normally use 1/4 and 3/8 my score wasn't better but the breaks were.

FC isnt a problem but it wont be steel proofed, should be cheaper

If your going to be shooting clays then a multi choked gun would be a far better bet.

Go back and get the Browning. :good:

Totally agree with the above.

Don't listen to anyone else...the above advice is spot on. :D

Are you sure it's a MK38?

1/4 and 3/4 are game chokes and found on the MK60's and MK70's

Miroku trap guns are choked 3/4 and full.

I agree. Get the browning there a fantastic gun and hold money well providing you get the below: a bloody good shot once told me if your buying a gun. O/U 30/32" multi choke sporter is what want. 1: you have the choice of choke for difrent targets 2: you will always be able to sell it should you wish to and you wont loose much on it unlike the miroku you mentioned. I think he saw you coming mate.

The mk38 sporter is multi choked steel proof.

If i where you would not buy either of the ones you have been offered sounds like he did not want you to have the browning.

And the miroku is choked tight for compact sporting ,skeet etc.

Just bought a mk38 myself great gun made to last a lifetime, full width hinge pin adjustable trigger teague chokes+free cardboard box.

Andy is a top hole guy at Avalon, had a couple of guns off him myself over the years.

He does (or did !!) have a range where you can try both and I suggest you ask him if you can avail yourself of this facility, shoot them both, buy the one you shoot best. If Andy said the Miroku was best suited to you then it probably is.

A

Andy`s a top salesman. Many years ago I wanted a beretta 682 gold e. No one had any, so I decided to try at the CLA game fair, non to be had there either. However, Andy had a browning gti ultra, which he said was a far superior gun and would suit me more. I never got away with it and sold it within 6 months.

I had a feeling if I`d wanted a browning gti ultra and he didn`t` have one but had a gold e he would have turned the tables and told me the gold e was a much superior gun. Nothing wrong in that, he is trying to sell guns and you can`t sell what you haven`t` got but more interested in a sale than giving help.

Bill

in general terms xx u wouldnt trust a stranger xx so why on earth would u trust advice from any salesman from any firm xx their job is to make a sale xx your job is to know what you want before you go to buy and haggle for the best deal u can get xx only fools and horses springs to mind xx whether or not your purchase is in that scenario or not i wouldnt know as i wasnt there xx i do know that when i go for a clay gun i will only buy multichoke xx after all this is the day of the internet xx so much info out there xx best of all pigeon watch have plenty of helpful peeps xx imvho the odd view may well be wrong xx but the majority seem to nail down the direction one should go xx

Edited by joecash

I've had Miroku MK60's in 12 and 20 bore, and currently a Browning B525 12 bore. They are made in the same factory in Japan, and I can't see much difference apart from the engraving. The 525 has extended forcing cones, but I'm not sure that this makes much difference in reality. All mine have been 1/4 and 3/4 fixed choke, although I did have the 20 bore opened out slightly. I'm one of the diminishing number of people who prefer fixed choke guns, although at least with multi-choked guns you should be able to use steel shot if you need.