Getting really hacked off with Windows updates

955i

Seem to be getting loads of updates at the moment and there always seems to be one that doesn't install properly.

Couple of days ago I shut the computer down only to find when I got up that it was still churning away at this bloody thing :angry:

Don't want to turn them off as I know some are neccessary so any suggestions how to get them to install without it taking a week?

Seem to be getting loads of updates at the moment and there always seems to be one that doesn't install properly.

Couple of days ago I shut the computer down only to find when I got up that it was still churning away at this bloody thing :angry:

Don't want to turn them off as I know some are neccessary so any suggestions how to get them to install without it taking a week?

I fired up my desktop for the first time in a week as I normally use the laptop and it informed me that I had 20,097 updates :oops:

The solution is simple just download Linux mint 13 it is free will do practically everything that mircosoft will and you do not need virus protection your computer will run like new.

But its the usual thing offer people a gold watch for free and they will not take it thinking that there must be a catch offer them the same thing for £100 and they will snap it up thinking that they have got a bargain such is life I'm afraid.

I have Linux Mint as well on my computer - I still find myself going back to windoze - I can't get my head round downloading things where you have to put "line of code in or something" My PC fire's up in 30 sec with Mint but not windoze.

I did read on Linux forums you would be better with a firewall and antivirus -

Dave

Set your updates to custom, not scheduled, then you can choose which ones you want and ignore the dross. You'll have to remember to go and run the updates now and again though.

AB

Good advice and it makes it a lot more controllable. That's what I do when I occasionally have to boot my Mac Pro into Windows. Did I mention you get a free PC with every Mac nowadays..?

I have Linux Mint as well on my computer - I still find myself going back to windoze - I can't get my head round downloading things where you have to put "line of code in or something" My PC fire's up in 30 sec with Mint but not windoze.

I did read on Linux forums you would be better with a firewall and antivirus -

Dave

I have been on linux for a couple of years and I have never used any firewall or antivirus and never had I update it when I get the prompt sign but that dose not take long.

I must admit it dose help if you have a friend to help if you have problems not very often for me and its usually something simple.

Re your downloading using codes I just go in to Software Manager and it downloads what I need it dose make your computer run a lot faster.

The only problem we had I gave my old laptop to my neighbour it would go on the internet with no problems on talk talk but they had a BT rooter in the end they had to go back to XP to get on the internet it made the laptop back in to a snail again but all they need to do is invest in a new rooter and it would have been ok.

Edited by four-wheel-drive