hogdon powder

hi guys just bought this reloading powder for to try in my .223 what grain should i start from and not excceed and what have you tried with this powder and it has worked for you in your .223 mine is a savage .223 also im using a 55gr v max head .224

Edited by Scot The Sniper

hi guys just bought this reloading powder for to try in my .223 what grain should i start from and not excceed and what have you tried with this powder and it has worked for you in your .223 mine is a savage .223 also im using a 55gr v max head .224

it wouldn't be my first choice co your gonna end up with a compressed load i recon. Its a good choice in .243 with light bullets though

Why should it not be compressed?

I ask as many of my loads have been compressed charges for years!

My 110gr v-max load in 308 is 50grn of H4895 and it fills the case to the top of the neck!

3100fps from a 20" tube and no excessive pressure.

Why no compression?

Ta.

U.

The load that I have developed fills the case to about 2 mm down from the case mouth so when that tip goes in to seat the propelant is definatey compressed. The load is hot but is very stable re fps 3450 over chrono and bullet strike point( loads from powder manufacturers have been reduced in recent years from what they used to be due to liability worries). I zero at 170 and thus it will take from the muzzle out to 220 without any exessive hold over. Everything that this load has been used for it has taken out the target first time.

Why should it not be compressed?

I ask as many of my loads have been compressed charges for years!

My 110gr v-max load in 308 is 50grn of H4895 and it fills the case to the top of the neck!

3100fps from a 20" tube and no excessive pressure.

Why no compression?

Ta.

U.

There is nothing realy bad about a slightly compressed load. Indeed it might be good for a new reloader to be unable to get too much in. there is nothing realy good about it either as it limits potential to go beyond that limit due to fill. In the ideal world we should look for a case to fill up to behind were the bullet seats without undue compression. i certainly preffer compressed to underfilled :yes:

Sorry if my earlier wording created any confusion, i have had some good compressed loads myself (7-08, .308 in particular)- just wouldn't generally choose a powder that was gonna require it as a first choice

3100 from such a bullet seems a little on the low side BTW? never used as such but if your going so light then why not get it up there - i would have thought another 200fps was very possible with other powder? Perhaps this explains my mention of "limiting possibilities" a little better?

Edited by kent

There is nothing realy bad about a slightly compressed load. Indeed it might be good for a new reloader to be unable to get too much in. there is nothing realy good about it either as it limits potential to go beyond that limit due to fill. In the ideal world we should look for a case to fill up to behind were the bullet seats without undue compression. i certainly preffer compressed to underfilled :yes:

Sorry if my earlier wording created any confusion, i have had some good compressed loads myself (7-08, .308 in particular)- just wouldn't generally choose a powder that was gonna require it as a first choice

3100 from such a bullet seems a little on the low side BTW? never used as such but if your going so light then why not get it up there - i would have thought another 200fps was very possible with other powder? Perhaps this explains my mention of "limiting possibilities" a little better?

Thanks for the reply.

This is why I have prefered slowish powders over the years, like you imply, a case can not be overfilled with a too fast a powder by mistake and cause a dagerous situation.

3100fps is plenty for me ta, does the job. Primer flattened out 'nuff for me :yes:

U.

Thanks for the reply.

This is why I have prefered slowish powders over the years, like you imply, a case can not be overfilled with a too fast a powder by mistake and cause a dagerous situation.

3100fps is plenty for me ta, does the job. Primer flattened out 'nuff for me :yes:

U.

pressure and speed are not always linked that directly, its were and when the pressure occurs. you might get more speed with less pressure with a different powder ;)