is this the right thing to do px my al391 urika for a hatsan

littlerob

yes buying a steel proof barrel is an option but im sure you could buy a new 3inch hatsan what a barrel cost so that may defie the object my gun is nice to shoot and i like it so my keep it and dont bother with wildfowling and just shoot with 32g size 4 steel for ducks on lake or river

Edited by littlerob

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many reasons why it may not have the Fleur-de-llys, however that doesnt meant it isnt capable of HP steel loads, just hasnt been proofed for it, if you like the gun then send it for steel proof or see if GMK will sell you a steel proof barrel.

why would it not have the Fleur-de-llys if it was steel proofed?,how else would you know it was steel proofed?

andrew

Because it may be built to steel spec but just never tested the steel proof costs more perhaps they decided not to submit all for the higher proof test.... That's why it's worth contacting GMK

if it's never been proofed for steel then it isn't steel proofed,i phoned gmk when i had my al391 and they told me not to use HP steel only standard factory steel loads,

if it's never been proofed for steel then it isn't steel proofed,i phoned gmk when i had my al391 and they told me not to use HP steel only standard factory steel loads,

I agree but that doesn't mean it wouldn't pass the proof test if submitted, it may fail yes, but it may also pass.

The section with the mobil choke, fair enough it doesn't state that it's steel proofed there but it says that the chokes are. Why would they put steel proofed chokes in a barrel that wasn't proofed?

This could go on for days....... I know that the al390 I used to own was proofed, and im sure if I searched long enough I could find proof.

The section with the mobil choke, fair enough it doesn't state that it's steel proofed there but it says that the chokes are. Why would they put steel proofed chokes in a barrel that wasn't proofed?

This could go on for days....... I know that the al390 I used to own was proofed, and im sure if I searched long enough I could find proof.

pics of the proof marks on your AL390 would sort it,

just received this email from GMK

Hello Andrew

Thank you for your email.

The barrel will not have the Fleur De Lys stamp on the barrel, so it has not been steel shot proofed.

So, I would not use steel shot.

Regards

Alex Sharpe

As the chokes are interchangeable between models...... not building them all to HP steel proof and testing them for it makes no sense either....if it's a 3" chamber it should be steel proofed IMO but why beretta chose not to submit some i don't know (stock of old barrels? some failures perhaps? I don't know)

right i start of saying that i shoot well with my urika love it to bits my first gun but looking for a steel proof gun for some wildfoling action have a few options i can straight px my urika for a hatsan in shaddow grass 3.5inch magnum the gun is second had for px and money for a new hatsan in wood 3 inch or what im thinking px and a little more money for a new hatsan extreme 3inch have anyone got the exreme how are they and would a 3.5 icnh be any good on say 28g to 32g 67 to 70mm pigeon loads and would the extreme hanlde nice and could you get a 26inch max lenght barrel due to being small and bigger looks stupid on me and dont seem so swing right/ feel barrel heavy

use the gun that you shoot best with -- make and value don't kill clays or birds !

Hello Andrew

Thank you for your email.

The barrel will not have the Fleur De Lys stamp on the barrel, so it has not been steel shot proofed.

So, I would not use steel shot.

Regards

Alex Sharpe

case closed when i had email from GMK,

andrew

That's just covering their ***** IMO. While I'd agree that using HP loads would be chancing things, there are hundreds if not thousands of shooters who are putting steel loads through their not steel proofed Beretta barrels. I shot Gamebore Super Steel through a Beretta 301 last year with no visible adverse effect.

Edited by -Mongrel-

That's just covering their ***** IMO. While I'd agree that using HP loads would be chancing things, there are hundreds if not thousands of shooters who are putting steel loads through their not steel proofed Beretta barrels. I shot Gamebore Super Steel through a Beretta 301 last year with no visible adverse effect.

of course they are covering their ****,if the gun is not proofed for steel how can they say otherwise,the Fleur De Lys stamp is there for a reason ??? ,

Indeed, doesn't mean it will fail the proof test....

i've never said that it would fail proof test but there's no Fleur De Lys stamp to say it's passed proof test,by the way i think the al390 had a 3 inch chamber but there are 3 1/2" shells available know,might be worth a try :no:

andrew

Now that's just being silly. The shells physically won't fit and as such can't be used, everyone knows that. :oops:

But you can shoot some steel through standard barrels without blowing them up, so say BASC and Gamebore amongst others as well as me, having tried it.

Despite Berretta saying they would not, it has been shown that you can, even if you aren't prepared to do so.

So, hardly case closed is it?

Edited by -Mongrel-

Just to add to the interest. Consider that, in the case of Beretta etc, exactly the same guns are supplied to the American market where there are no proof laws and no fleur de lyse steel proofing.

The Yanks then proceed to shoot hotter factory ammunition than we are permitted to purchase under CIP and home loads that are positively glowing in the dark where they are so "hot", through exactly the same guns.

I`m guessing here, but I have a feeling that insofar as the UK is concerned,those manufacturers who`s products are regularly used without catastrophic failure in the U.S. might just have decided that the cost of submission to U.K steel shot proof is excessive, as is the proof test itself, and will increasingly market guns without the fleur de lyse and just let people get on wth using them with steel.