Gun Rust

Olliesims

Got all my rifles stored in a pretty damp place, I have some of those silicon packets you get with shoes and stuff, looked in my ammo safe today and one of my bolts for my hmr has got dark marks on it like a type of rust tried to use some oil and a tooth brush but only made it lighter, what's the best thing I can put in my cabinets and ammo safe too keep moister down? And is there any thing I can use to remove rust marks from my guns? I normaly just use oil on the bolts/guns but over time it's still rusting :/

My cabinets are left in a small room about 3 feet wide and 5 feet long and there's 3 cabinets in there and a ammo box really is no room to fit anything else in there, I've seen people mention a Napier product that's good for moister but can't remember what it's called :(

some oil and a gentle rub with some steel wool will rid the black rust

i used to have the same problem with damp in my gun cabnet, what i done was drilled a small hole in the side of it and bought a small tubular heater fitted it in cabnet and plugged it in its on 24/7 now for about 3 years works a treat no more damp in the cupboard guns are nice and cozy now.

hope this helps

sniper

My cabinets are left in a small room about 3 feet wide and 5 feet long and there's 3 cabinets in there and a ammo box really is no room to fit anything else in there, I've seen people mention a Napier product that's good for moister but can't remember what it's called :(

Its called VP90 and around £6 to £7

what are you doing for the bores? i should deffo clean and oil the bore and chamber every time. Just clear the oil with meths before use :good: If stored for more than a couple weeks in this sort of conditions i should consider quite a thick oil. Heat is your friend by the way after the other measures :good:

I would use oil and a green scotch pad pan cleaner not abrasive but for cleaning up rust and light marks.

Figgy

If it is a green non woven (scotch is a trade name) pad then be careful as they are quite abrasive.

Just to bore you - in abrasive grit terms green is P320, red is P360 and grey is P1500

I work for one the worlds largest abrasive manufacturers and have seen the damage caused to barrels, stocks and all sorts of things when the wrong pad is used..

friend of mine stores his gun cabinets in his loft and often gets a bit of damp up there in the winter ,he now uses a small piano heater in the bottom of the cabinet

this stays on all the time ,and what ever you do never use WD40 on guns ,this will make them rust

WD40 Is water based and will take the blueing off after time... real bad stuff for guns

if youve got the room in your cabinet, put the guns into their relevant gunslips with a napier vp90 patch, and then put them in the cabinet.

the patch stops them rusting, and with them being in the slips, it acts as a airtight enclosure for each gun.

not one of mine have ever rusted.......

You can get specific gun room/cabinet heaters, popular in the colder parts of the US with condensation issues

http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midway_UK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Midway_UK/Products/359695&ff_pos=1&ff_origPos=1&ff_simi=100.0&ff_TrackGUID=502C1761-9A1E-E948-81DF-0A0A051158A3

A cheaper option is to make a big silica packet yourself, like the little bags you get in electronics packaging. You can buy reusable colour changing selica dessicant for less than a fiver on ebay, whack it in a bag or tub in one corner of the cabinet, once it's spent (lasts ages) you just dry it out in the oven. I have some in mine. :good:

If you can,t move your cabinets you could try a intercept protector gun storage sleeve or sleeves depending on how much you want to spend they cost about 20 to 25 quid each.They are lined with a corrosion intercepter that attracts corrosive gases and neutralises them (think they react with the copper content of the sleeve).I have had one for a few years and its done the job well