.270 Rifle

T-Bolt94

Hi folks, had a quick search and didn't see any previous threads about the .270 calibre. I was just wondering what peoples opinions on such a calibre for Deer/Fox would be. I know its a bit OTT for fox but primarily deer would be its usage. I know it is known to be a noisy round but this can be lessened by a moderator.

Any help/advice on this would be greatly appreciated

Regards

unless it has changed recently, the forum search function doesn't work with only 3 characters.

I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice on this post, but in the meantime if you want to read up... try putting

site:forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk 270

into google :good:

I will probably use it for the odd fox, and then its main use will be deer...it seems to be reasonably cheap to feed in comparison to .308s and the likes as I haven't a clue about reloading and would be something I wouldn't have time for at the minute as I am a student.

Edited by T-Bolt94

Umm first things first you will need land which is approved for 270 unless you have an open ticket. You wont get in it approved for vermin control although you may get it for foxes whilst out in the deer. It costs more to feed a 270 then a 308 and for large animal humain dispatch not recommended at all.

If you have ever tried to shoot an animal.at close range with a rifle you would find thats its very difficult to aim and also manoeuvre then ofcourse you need to think about the bullet where will it go and believe me a.270 head is some bit of kit I wouldn't ever dream of using it at close range indeed I have a 38 S&W for that purpose as I do a considerable amount of deer stalking

for a factory fed rifle it aint a bad choice, a bit barkier than it needs to be with higher recoil energy than it needs to be. Balistically internal and externally it is bettered by many the 7-08 rem the closest to it in bullet weight and types but using less powder, lower recoil energy gun for gun. That said try getting factory ammo for a 7-08 rem in many more remote areas, if there are Red deer there abouts you will find .270 factory though at the nearest dealer.

All in all a good secondhand purchase as it was the gun of choice for many recreational stalkers a few years back now, not so much in favour these days examples can be had somewhat cheaper than the usual culprits and plenty enough choice to be choosy selecting the right one.

There used to be a lad round here who used a .270 specifically for fox (and a few stock worrying dogs) Heck of a bang compared to a .223 though ;)

The .270 is a fine deer calibre, my favourite in fact.

Coupled with 130 grain sp's you'll drop anything in the UK with it.

I get average 3/4" at 100yds so factory ammo (federal) is fine for me

I love the fact its unpopular, makes for cheap 2nd hand rifles

You'll also find ammo availability anywhere there is a decent gun shop.

All this b*llocks about it being fierce to shoot and recoil blah blah, bang a moderator it and you'll shoot all day with it.

No worse than magnum carts through a shotgun.

Get one, you will love it.

Not sure how your licensing dept is but mine is open for deer and vermin.

It's devastating on foxes too but I tend to use lighter loads in my .243 when specifically targeting foxes.

Let us know what you chose.

Hi

I use a.270 and have done for years - nowt wrong with it at all. Good for UK/Europe/African plains game/many US species - so 'a do a lot' calibre. If it is a perceived issue drop down bullet weight. A moderator will also attenuate.

I suspect that many of the comments regarding recoil etc are just 'hearsay' ie not based on actually having fired/used one, which has lead to some 'aura/mystique' about it.

Get to know it rather than be in awe of it.

L

It seems to have many followers as a calibre, yet many seem to prefer the .308 I guess its back to the old .17hmr vs .22lr debate :lol: My main reason for choice is that you can pick the rifles up S/H for very little money at all and that's the main reason over a .308 at the minute. I hear a muzzle break lessens the recoil significantly also.

It seems to have many followers as a calibre, yet many seem to prefer the .308 I guess its back to the old .17hmr vs .22lr debate :lol: My main reason for choice is that you can pick the rifles up S/H for very little money at all and that's the main reason over a .308 at the minute. I hear a muzzle break lessens the recoil significantly also.

yeah, makes the dog deaf too :lol:

I've never used one, but I can see it as a good caliber for what your after. Don't rule out the .308 though, even if the ammo is slightly more expensive you should not make the choice based purely on that - for most people once they've zero'd the gun the odd fox and deer they shoot use so little ammo that the price difference between large calibers is insignificant.

Saving money on the rifle (i.e paying less for a .270) is likely to be the way you might save something.

I'm slightly confused, where did the talk of humane dispatch come from earlier in the thread?

If it's not a common thing then a rifle is fine, yes not easy to aim when close to something but easier than having a dedicated gun for it, which not many people will need.

If you wish to do a search, the best way is to use google, searching on this site but using google to find stuff, not using the search engine on this site.

The .270 is a fine deer calibre, my favourite in fact.

Coupled with 130 grain sp's you'll drop anything in the UK with it.

I get average 3/4" at 100yds so factory ammo (federal) is fine for me

I love the fact its unpopular, makes for cheap 2nd hand rifles

You'll also find ammo availability anywhere there is a decent gun shop.

All this b*llocks about it being fierce to shoot and recoil blah blah, bang a moderator it and you'll shoot all day with it.

No worse than magnum carts through a shotgun.

Get one, you will love it.

Not sure how your licensing dept is but mine is open for deer and vermin.

It's devastating on foxes too but I tend to use lighter loads in my .243 when specifically targeting foxes.

Let us know what you chose.

Hi

I use a.270 and have done for years - nowt wrong with it at all. Good for UK/Europe/African plains game/many US species - so 'a do a lot' calibre. If it is a perceived issue drop down bullet weight. A moderator will also attenuate.

I suspect that many of the comments regarding recoil etc are just 'hearsay' ie not based on actually having fired/used one, which has lead to some 'aura/mystique' about it.

Get to know it rather than be in awe of it.

L

The above quotes are about right. It's like a fast car you don’t have to drive it pedal to the metal all of the time. If you load for it then this fearsome beast can be tuned down very nicely if you please. I've had loads in mine from that similar to a shotgun up to Jeez that really hit my body hard. The 270 is a Super calibre that has a load of nonsense spoken about it.

Read this > http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/ammo/427148/Winchester_270_cartridge_review.html

I used the mighty .270 for many ,many years for deer and antelope in this country and in the states . It never failed me at all . I had a proper BSA with the set trigger and the gun was awesome . Very flat shooting and hits like an express train . A bit noisy at first light in woodland but no more recoil than any other calibre . 130 grain bullet and you will be able to shoot any European deer and antelope that you may want to address .

I now use a .308 for deer and fox ,as I think that the .308 is more versatile for the one gun stalker .

Harnser .

The last deer I shot was with a 270. It was loaded with a 140gr NBT, I necked a nice Roe buck at about 80 yards, hardly any carcase damage. After reading about its reputation I was surprised. Saw him down down through the scope as well which did surprise me.

If your deer are way out there or you are mainly shooting Red, Sika and Fallow then go for it, but for average 80-150 yard shots and / smaller deer + fox then a lighter cartridge would IMHO be better. Faster (less drop) so usually easier to shoot.

As others have said you wont get it approved as a stand alone fox rifle.

A

The talk about humane dispatch came from a comment I made, which I later removed as I realised it was just down right stupid!! :lol: on my part. Thanks again, I have been looking around my local RFDs but the one I have checked with don't bring anything higher than .22s so need to search a little further afield when I get a chance. Thanks very much and I am going to contact my FEO and discuss it with him before I make any final decisions :) Great help thanks!!