First time solo

miniross

Hi all just wanted but of a pep talk as I'm going solo on the pigeons for the first time on Wednesday and it's a bit daunting about setting up and getting the birds to come in to me I have a good selection of decoys and a magnet. Just wondered if there's any trade secrets that I should know. I will be fine once I get my first pigeon In the bag just but nervous.

Cheers

Mark

Spend ½ hr or so sitting and watching the spot you intend to shoot.

Try to set up with the wind behind you or at least from one side.

Put your decoys out and a magnet if you have one.

When the birds start to come in, take note where they are coming into your pattern and then make sure the have a place to land. Don’t be afraid to change your position or pattern to fit into the way the birds are coming in. As you shoot birds take the decoys away and replace them with dead birds.

Have fun

• 2 weeks later...

Spend ½ hr or so sitting and watching the spot you intend to shoot.

Try to set up with the wind behind you or at least from one side.

Put your decoys out and a magnet if you have one.

When the birds start to come in, take note where they are coming into your pattern and then make sure the have a place to land. Don’t be afraid to change your position or pattern to fit into the way the birds are coming in. As you shoot birds take the decoys away and replace them with dead birds.

Have fun

is there any merit in leaving the decoys out mixed with birds? I'm new to this and just thought that having as many out as possible would help to make a fuller pattern? My decoys are on a spring and give a bit of movement dead'uns are still. Is it safe to say that dead birds are a better decoy?

Edited by steved

is there any merit in leaving the decoys out mixed with birds? I'm new to this and just thought that having as many out as possible would help to make a fuller pattern? My decoys are on a spring and give a bit of movement dead'uns are still. Is it safe to say that dead birds are a better decoy?

To answer your question, yes I think dead birds are better than plastic decoys.

I always keep about 8 dead birds for decoying every time I shoot and freeze them.

I put a cpl on the magnet and a cpl on bouncers, so you have your movement with the magnet and bouncers.

You can have to many decoy birds out to, I would only have out a max of about 25 birds , so that’s why I say replace the plastic decoys with dead birds.

Edited by Actionpigeons

Ok i see. I haven't got any magnets etc yet trying to build up kit slowly. Interesting note about the numbers. If i'm lucky enough to hit more than 25 i'll start to bring them in. Freezer space is at a premium at my gaff and im not too sure that mrs steve will be too happy if i replace next weeks tikka massala with dead pigeons. Will replace decoys in the field now though.

Cheers steve

To answer your question, yes I think dead birds are better than plastic decoys.

I always keep about 8 dead birds for decoying every time I shoot and freeze them.

I put a cpl on the magnet and a cpl on bouncers, so you have your movement with the magnet and bouncers.

You can have to many decoy birds out to, I would only have out a max of about 25 birds , so that’s why I say replace the plastic decoys with dead birds.

I disagree. I don't really think you can have too many decoys out. I've had days where i've had up to 100 out. I also don't think it's necessary to replace plastic decoys with dead birds. Although i agree dead birds are pretty much the best decoys, pigeons will not worry about plastics mixed in with real birds.

Edited by motty

Hi again sorry I never reported I didn't end up going solo as I ended up having to work however the following day i got out on some cereal with a friend and we had about 30 woodies and couple of crows.

I'm attempting solo tomoz been at the field today (rape stubble) during my split shift and watched a good hundred or so birds come on and off the field so I'm hoping that tomoz will be the same.

Will let all know how I get on

Thanks for all the advise

Mark

I disagree. I don't really think you can have too many decoys out. I've had days where i've had up to 100 out. I also don't think it's necessary to replace plastic decoys with dead birds. Although i agree dead birds are pretty much the best decoys, pigeons will not worry about plastics mixed in with real birds.

I stand by what I say that I would only have about 25 dead birds out as decoys and take the plastic decoys away as I shoot birds.

Nothing beats the real thing and unless you buy flocked full-bodied decoys they will flare off sometimes. (I use shells)

I want to guide the birds into a set area so as to shoot them, and if you have lot of birds out they some time land on the edge of the pattern, rather than come into the centre of the pattern.

I use a lab when I’m shooting, she does not pick the dead birds I set in the pattern, some times when I am in permanent hides she cannot always mark the shot birds down. So when I send her out for a blind retrieve I don’t want her to have to work her way threw lots of set dead birds to find the shot bird.

I don’t like getting out of the hide to continually set dead birds or change my pattern when it’s working. If 25 dead birds are working why change it by adding more.

I am a bit lazy so once my dog has brought the birds in I don’t want to set them and then have to pick them up again at the end of the dayI just throw them in a piule in the hide.

Hay but whatever works for you keep doing it. There is no wrong way if it works, its just your way. :good:

Edited by Actionpigeons

Hi all thought I'd fill you in on my first solo day unfortunately it was not great at all. Got to the field and didn't look great nt much around or in the air at all but thought I would still give it a go. Found my spot fr the hide and assembled was happy with it and then placed out the decoys and magnet got comfy in the hide ad patiently waited and waited the a few woodies came in from a distance flew past my pattern circled around and came back for another look and in my haste to get my first pigeon I missed the ****** prob the easiest shot of my life and I missed I was devastated but shook the disappointment off and focused again. All quiet again and that's how it stayed the rest of the day.

I tried to leave with positives

Yes I missed a easy shot but sure everyone did when first starting out.

I build a good hide and the few birds idid encounter we're not scared off for any reason

I got the birds to land into my pattern.

I know what I did Wrong and over thought the targets but next time I won't.

Alway take the positives with you and leave the dissapointment in the field And come back stronger next time

Even tho on paper was a poor day I still enjoyed my first solo day and I can only improve

Cheers

Mark