Moderators and FAC.

Yosemite Sam

I understand that when going FAC you need to list moderators in open slots as they are treated as S1 firearms.

My questions is .. If I own 1 or more sub 12fpe that have mods. where does that stand within the law?.

When I move to FAC do I have to list the mods. already owned and in use on the ticket?

Cheers guys.

Sam.

I understand that when going FAC you need to list moderators in open slots as they are treated as S1 firearms.

My questions is .. If I own 1 or more sub 12fpe that have mods. where does that stand within the law?.

When I move to FAC do I have to list the mods. already owned and in use on the ticket?

Cheers guys.

Sam.

if it stays on a sub 12flb air rifle then no its only for the use of firearms ,which is silly as a sound mod is only an assessory not a work part of a fire arm ie barrel or action

So it's only when it's attached to a FAC gun it needs a slot?.

This is really a grey area that I'm havin' a hard time understandin'.

Assuming you already had a sub-12 with mod. then you went FAC . what is the standing when when buying another sub-12 with a mod?.

Does it have to go on a slot?.

Yours bewildered,

Sam.

Im confused now too - You do not neen an fac cert with a slot for an airgun mod so you can then put it on a sub 12 fpe air rifle. I think thats the question lol.

edit: the mods you allready have on your other sub 12 fpe airguns do not need to be put on your fac certificate too as they are not on a fac rated airgun:-.therefore they are not classed as a firearm on there own

Edited by archiebald

Im confused now too - You do not neen an fac cert with a slot for an airgun mod so you can then put it on a sub 12 fpe air rifle. I think thats the question lol.

edit: the mods you allready have on your other sub 12 fpe airguns do not need to be put on your fac certificate too as they are not on a fac rated airgun:-.therefore they are not classed as a firearm on there own

yep tell that to your FAO and the home office ,its a hollow metal tube that moderates the sound ,its like you can go into your gunshop and get a .22 sound mod for a airrifle and fine ,if you say its for a .22lr then you need a slot !

When you say 'go FAC' are you thinking of converting a sub 12 to an FAC gun?

To use a moderator on an FAC gun you must have a slot on your certificate for the moderator for that gun, but all the sub 12 guns/moderators are unaffected, unless you change them to FAC guns. Even then, I don't think that the moderators must be on your FAC to be used on a FAC gun, but you must have a slot for a moderator for the FAC gun your using them on.

Clear as mud?

Cheers guys.

Sam.

no if they are to be used on sub FAC guns, tecnically you will only be granted 1 moddy for the gun and they have no serial numbers

This is a complicated area, to me at least.

When you say 'go FAC' are you thinking of converting a sub 12 to an FAC gun?

To use a moderator on an AC gun you must have a slot on your certificate for the moderator for that gun, but all the sub 12 guns/moderators are unaffected, unless you change them to FAC guns. Even then, I don't think that the moderators must be on your FAC to be used on a FAC gun, but you must have a slot for a moderator for the FAC gun your using them on.

Clear as mud?

I mean when obtaining an FAC first time .. already owning several mods. and maybe getting more in the future for sub 12's.

******* stupid is my response.

I gotta agree fully mate . Makes no sense at all . logic defies me on this one.

Thanks for all your input mates . I don't think I will ever understand this fully.

Regards.

Sam.

The law regarding moderators makes little sense and is of no real use. As said, you can buy a moderator for an air rifle no restrictions. It's only a metal tube, yet it can be classed as a firearm in itself??? Doesn't make much sense to me anyway. It's either a firearm or it's not depending on what you use it on. What about shotgun moderators. There doesn't appear to be any restrictions on them? Nonsense!

You do not need a FAC to own and have in your possesion a rimfire or centrefire rated moderated, and technically you dont need a FAC to purchase one, however police licensing authorities insist on this and RFDs have been instructed not to sell you one without a slot on your certificate.

The moderator only becomes a Section 1 device when it is attached to a Section 1 firearm, if you then do not have the relevant authority on your FAC you will be committing an offence if you screw a mod onto the muzzle of your rimfire or centrefire rifle.

Ian.

I think you will find that the rules only apply to removable moderators - I'm guessing that this is why silenced shotguns have the mods integral with the barrel (?)

However, with respect to S1 rifles, it may help to remember that one of the principal reasons given for the existence of Firearms licensing is to increase public safety. I think that a moderator increases the percieved danger of the illegal use of a firearm, for the same reason they are used for culling vermin etc., (stealth)

Once a mod has gone "on ticket", it must, presumably stay on ticket, BUT, you could, or perhaps will have the very same mod on two guns, one an air rifle, one a S1 rifle... now, if they have NVN, you could swap them round, and no one will be any the wiser..

Ok, so the law is a bit weird in this regard, but it may have been written by a bunch of highly qualified types, who knew next to nowt about guns - and/or perhaps we have missed the point of the law - perhaps the powers that be feel they can state that they have increased public safety by insisting that such things are recorded on a firearms cert..? ( by this I mean that most anti gun rubbish is based on complete ignorance ( and not just of guns!!) ).

Then again it might be, as someone else said, above a complete load of ***** !! :hmm:

ATB

Sim

I think you will find that the rules only apply to removable moderators - I'm guessing that this is why silenced shotguns have the mods integral with the barrel (?)

However, with respect to S1 rifles, it may help to remember that one of the principal reasons given for the existence of Firearms licensing is to increase public safety. I think that a moderator increases the percieved danger of the illegal use of a firearm, for the same reason they are used for culling vermin etc., (stealth)

Once a mod has gone "on ticket", it must, presumably stay on ticket, BUT, you could, or perhaps will have the very same mod on two guns, one an air rifle, one a S1 rifle... now, if they have NVN, you could swap them round, and no one will be any the wiser..

Ok, so the law is a bit weird in this regard, but it may have been written by a bunch of highly qualified types, who knew next to nowt about guns - and/or perhaps we have missed the point of the law - perhaps the powers that be feel they can state that they have increased public safety by insisting that such things are recorded on a firearms cert..? ( by this I mean that most anti gun rubbish is based on complete ignorance ( and not just of guns!!) ).

Then again it might be, as someone else said, above a complete load of ***** !! :hmm:

ATB

Sim

Silenced shotguns don't all have moderators that are an integral part. Screw on types are available. They have no restrictions that I'm aware of anyway.

You do not need a FAC to own and have in your possesion a rimfire or centrefire rated moderated, and technically you dont need a FAC to purchase one, :good::yes:

however police licensing authorities insist on this and RFDs have been instructed not to sell you one without a slot on your certificate.

:hmm: :hmm:

The moderator only becomes a Section 1 device when it is attached to a Section 1 firearm, if you then do not have the relevant authority on your FAC you will be committing an offence if you screw a mod onto the muzzle of your rimfire or centrefire rifle. :yes::good: :good:

Ian.

As others have said and I tend to agree, the whole malarkey of Mods is daft.

In principle you are correct above, but not quite, it is common for rimfire mods to find their way onto, and be specifically bought for 12ft lb air rifles. This purchase is easy with no FAC being required or demanded by dealers!

We do possibly wonder into another area altogether here, as, for example, you can buy Proofed and Non proofed SAK Mods. The Mods are identical and are only ever "sample batch" tested...BUT....the theory is, once attached to a firearm (for proof) they become a firearm and should then only be sold with an appropriate slot on a FAC.

It's all just daft! :yes: :yes:

:good: :good:

hi just me being anal there not weapons,, weapons are used in war ,there firearms :good:

"A weapon, arm, or armament is a tool or instrument used in order to inflict damage or harm to living beings—physical or mental—artificial structures, or systems. In human society, weapons are used to increase the efficacy and efficiency of activities such as hunting,"

The word has many angles, and as such an airgun is a weapon,

As others have said and I tend to agree, the whole malarkey of Mods is daft.

In principle you are correct above, but not quite, it is common for rimfire mods to find their way onto, and be specifically bought for 12ft lb air rifles. This purchase is easy with no FAC being required or demanded by dealers!

We do possibly wonder into another area altogether here, as, for example, you can buy Proofed and Non proofed SAK Mods. The Mods are identical and are only ever "sample batch" tested...BUT....the theory is, once attached to a firearm (for proof) they become a firearm and should then only be sold with an appropriate slot on a FAC.

It's all just daft! :yes: :yes:

:good: :good:

It does seem to be quite a confusing area .. I think I got it sussed now.

Cheers everyone and thanks for the input.

Sam.