Foxing tips?

wildfowler.250

As I'm just looking into starting lamping properly this year,(never really made the time before) I would greatly appreciate your tips/'technique' ;)

What's your normal procedure? What time do you normally go out at,(wait a few hrs after dark?)? How long do you lamp a field for? Do you call if you see nothing? How long do you wait before lamping between calls? Anything that's helpful!

I can go out with a few people I know but everyone's got different methods.

So any info would be great,(even if it seems really straightforward). And lengthy replies are also very much appreciated :good:

Cheers in advance!

we tend to sit out before dusk in likely spots and you will find last light they just appear, from there if we are lamping we may sit still for 20 minutes to let it get properly dark and scan occasionally then move on and do the rest ofthe area we are lamping. Usually we will simply lamp a field and move on, occasionally have a quick call but they tend to appear fast if they are there. then once one is spotted engine off and try and call it if not observe and try and get a shot. Some this year have been so busy mousing they aren't interested in the call so we have crept close enough and then taken the shot, lamp wise its a 170 usually without filter but with a dimmer so as soon as you see them you drop it down to the absolute minimum needed to observe

another thing is the lamp man if he"s not had much practice that will cost you foxes never put full lamp beam into there eyes just hold it off in edge of beam till in range of shot centre fire guns are always best for this job but rimfires can be used if you keep to sensible ranges .

You can use a red /amber filter as well they help a lot on foxes that have bin lamped well all so get a selection of different fox callers most will work on the day with different volumes and pitches but you need to master them its not as easy as drive round shine light shoot fox on the other hand some times its just like that .

good luck hope you get a few swiss

This doesn't apply if you've scared them and they're run off. Here you can only hope that their 'feel safe' distance when they stop and turn around for a shufti is still a safe shot and within range.

Sometimes, they're on a mission and just are not going to stop. Try shouting at them. A short sharp word - I use, 'bite', emphasis on and almost spitting out the, 'b'. Two vixens this week in the same field heading for the same place were only dropped because this does work but you have to be ready to shoot as they're not going to hang about.

Although out in the field is better, 'Foxing With Lamp and Rifle' by Robert Bucknell is a good investment.

As said above, once ID`d keep them on the edge of the lamp.

Get yourself a peice of pollystyrene, if in a car use it on the side of the door or wing mirror or wind screen, if on foot a small glazed tile will work ! Damp the pollystrene and rub it slowly and you should get a loud squeel, keep doing this and occasionally scan. other calls ar fox call uk or you can go electric, i would suggest download calls onto a cheap off the internet mp3 player and use a cheap speaker. or pre made electirc calls my Ucaller is cheap and cherfull and does the job nicely or if your throwing some good cash into it get yourself a fox pro caller !

Chances are any incoming fox will want to get down wind of you so they can scent you(checking for danger), so be prepared to be able to take a shot in the direction that the wind is blowing to !

Once yove shot keep calling and check all around you as there may well be a seconding incoming to !

As said above, once ID`d keep them on the edge of the lamp.

Get yourself a peice of pollystyrene, if in a car use it on the side of the door or wing mirror or wind screen, if on foot a small glazed tile will work ! Damp the pollystrene and rub it slowly and you should get a loud squeel, keep doing this and occasionally scan. other calls ar fox call uk or you can go electric, i would suggest download calls onto a cheap off the internet mp3 player and use a cheap speaker. or pre made electirc calls my Ucaller is cheap and cherfull and does the job nicely or if your throwing some good cash into it get yourself a fox pro caller !

Chances are any incoming fox will want to get down wind of you so they can scent you(checking for danger), so be prepared to be able to take a shot in the direction that the wind is blowing to !

Once yove shot keep calling and check all around you as there may well be a seconding incoming to !

Hi,

Having just replied to your question on the other foxing thread, could I ask what is your gun of choice?

Cheers

I just use my rimfire .17HMR on fox out to 100yards. So for me I have to get them in closer than the CF guys.

But the pricipuls are the same. Am just sharing my experience as a very occasional foxer who hasnt got a land owner with any drive so to speak to get rid of any fox unless they become an nusance !

Back in june time I took 3 fox with the shotgun that I called in from a big wood and need to get them to 35 yards for the shotgun ! So if these methods work for me to get them into sub 100 yards then this shouldnt be a problem to get them sub 200 yards for the CF rifles !

ATB

Matt

I just use my rimfire .17HMR on fox out to 100yards. So for me I have to get them in closer than the CF guys.

But the pricipuls are the same. Am just sharing my experience as a very occasional foxer who hasnt got a land owner with any drive so to speak to get rid of any fox unless they become an nusance !

Back in june time I took 3 fox with the shotgun that I called in from a big wood and need to get them to 35 yards for the shotgun ! So if these methods work for me to get them into sub 100 yards then this shouldnt be a problem to get them sub 200 yards for the CF rifles !

ATB

Matt

Absolutely!

Cheers,

Phil

As I'm just looking into starting lamping properly this year,(never really made the time before) I would greatly appreciate your tips/'technique' ;)

What's your normal procedure? What time do you normally go out at,(wait a few hrs after dark?)? How long do you lamp a field for? Do you call if you see nothing? How long do you wait before lamping between calls? Anything that's helpful!

I can go out with a few people I know but everyone's got different methods.

So any info would be great,(even if it seems really straightforward). And lengthy replies are also very much appreciated :good:

Cheers in advance!

In my opinion a lot depends on your shooting back ground, I have been shooting since a young lad and was taught the ways of the countryside. Sitting quietly waiting for a rabbit to bolt, creeping around a corner so you gun is not poking out in front.

Walking heal to toe, looking ahead and not letting the branch you are pushing past whack you mate in the face. It is a long list!

The vast amount of factors will be the county you are in? The type of land you have to shoot over? Will you be able to drive and shoot?

A rifle is gun of choice as the range you can shoot out to will allow for the mistakes you will make with the wind and general clanking of boots, keys, and a mate with smokers cough etc.

I use a .243 rifle with a good quality scope and a mix of gun mounted and hand held lamps LF 170

http://s856.photobuc...nt=STA60361.jpg a 8.5 amp battery in a bag and my sticks, some times off the bonnet using the bi-pod and the out the window using a door rest.http://s856.photobuc...nt=STA60311.jpg Foxes are clever, patient but also very nosey so you can use that to an advantage.

Shooting the young and dumb ones is not so hard; the challenge is the clever ones!

Foxes are every where and why do YOU want to shoot them? I have secured pigeon shooting from my foxing efforts and have found it quite a gap filler when the pigeon shooting is slow.

It is a rush when you see a set of ruby eyes in the distance and then you have to make your plan to get in a decent range with a safe shot.

I only go out for around 2/3 hours as staying out until the sun is ready to show will mess up the next days work!

We have had some good results just before dust on one particular farm.

Learn to squeak using the back of your hand as you can call the fox when both hands are holding the rifle!!

The 22-250 is very popular gun for foxing and if all I did was foxing then I would buy a top end model, however look at your ground, the amount that you might do and make your choice from there.

TEH

Cheers guys! Some very helpful replies :good: I've got the .22-250 for roe but with the harvest underway I'm keen to give it a go on the foxes. I've managed to take notes from every post which is great.

I meant to add. I've currently got a cluelite but I want to change to a lightforce. Which lightforce model do I want and where is the best place to buy it from? I want something hand held and I was just going to run it off a 12v battery. Pm me if it 'breaks any rules'.

Cheers again!

Ps i'll be doing a bit of car and on foot. Is on foot less successful? I've got/read foxing with lamp and rifle but I didn't think it was that great. Some good stuff on it but also a lot of basics.

I meant to add. I've currently got a cluelite but I want to change to a lightforce. Which lightforce model do I want and where is the best place to buy it from? I want something hand held and I was just going to run it off a 12v battery.

Cheers again!

Just in case you aren't aware, apart from the quality of their product (just spotted his post and agree with SS to a degree) Clulite do a full range of spares and accessories. You don't mention which of theirs that you have and whether it's scope mounted or hand held. Either way, odds on are that you'll be able to convert it to either (if you ask because you have the older mounting system, they'll provide you with the interchangeable brackets suitable for the new much better arrangement). If you go for the Lightforce, IMO it has to be the 170 scope mounted provided I'm right about converting the Clulite. For sheer distance, the 170 is the only lamp that out does the Clulite. You say hand held, does that mean there's two of you or your intention is to spot with one and shoot with the other? If it's the former, it's better to have a lamp on the rifle as well if possible until you get the hang of working as a team. It's surprising how often the lamping man can see because he's behind the lamp when the rifleman looking from even a slightly different angle remains unsighted.

PS I think that was Bucknell's intention to cater for novices as well.

PPS Foxing has the same rules as a knife fight. :lol:

Here's my top tips, for what its worth if you haven't been before.

Be careful.

Everything looks different in the distance at night under the lamp and your range judgement is likely to go all to cock.

Make sure you know the ground, where the buildings, footpaths and access points are.

Double check that what you see is actually fox, not something you want to be a fox. No end of things show up as green eyes, badgers, sheep, owls, dogs,cats, ferrets . . . its an endless list

Can you see a backstop? Probably not, you need to know its safe.

Go out with someone who's got experience if you can first

And finally, if you make an error, saying sorry aint going to put it right. You need to be 100% confident that everything's 100% right on every shot you take. Sounds a bit patronising cos it applies to all shooting, but it doesn't hurt to say it

Enjoy.

Be careful.

Everything looks different in the distance at night under the lamp and your range judgement is likely to go all to cock.

Make sure you know the ground, where the buildings, footpaths and access points are.

Double check that what you see is actually fox, not something you want to be a fox. No end of things show up as green eyes, badgers, sheep, owls, dogs,cats, ferrets . . . its an endless list

And finally, if you make an error, saying sorry aint going to put it right. You need to be 100% confident that everything's 100% right on every shot you take. Sounds a bit patronising cos it applies to all shooting, but it doesn't hurt to say it

Enjoy.

Best advice you could ever have from inthedark there .... Be 100% sure all the time, everytime.

DaveL

Be careful.

Enjoy.

Great post :good:

All i will add after doing the car thing for years aswell as the walking , walking has allways had better results for me :yes: Learn to shoot off sticks and learn how you lamp with a trusted partner if either off you call the shot off you trust your partner as he can see more than you through a scope ?

Once you pull the trigger you cannot recall it (something that's stuck in my mind for a long time , thanks Don )

Learn to control your adrenalin, when you see a fox your heart will start beating, take a deep breath and take your time.

Only pull the trigger if you are going to kill it. DONT have a go if you can see it at 200 yards and you are on your own shooting off sticks, because if you miss (95% chance in this scenario) then all you will do is "educate" this fox and they are much harder to deal with than any others.

Be safe, you are tyhe re to do a job humanely, safely and effectively!

ALWAYS ID your target, me and a mate lamped 2 sets of eyes on our estate a few years back when I was just starting out, he was teaching me (hes 38 and im 24) using his 308. Lamped 2 pairs of eyes down a track and thought it was 2 cubs out hunting, looked down the scope but couldnt ID what they where so decided to drive closer for a better look, another look down the scope.................nothing, then a torch light came on inbetween the eyes and it was a crazy woman walking 2 terriers very late at night. She was informed politely what to do and to stick to the footpaths, but this is a valueable lesson her to ALWAYS ID your target and not to pull the trigger at a set of eyes. (imagine if I would of shot the dogs).

I lamped 2 cats on one field the other night and I have had 3 foxes about 4 hours before, just goes to show again, always ID.

Most of all, happy lamping, it is vbery rewarding when pulled off right.

Edited by 12borejimbo

Learn to control your adrenalin, when you see a fox your heart will start beating, take a deep breath and take your time.

Only pull the trigger if you are going to kill it. DONT have a go if you can see it at 200 yards and you are on your own shooting off sticks, because if you miss (95% chance in this scenario) then all you will do is "educate" this fox and they are much harder to deal with than any others.

Be safe, you are tyhe re to do a job humanely, safely and effectively!

ALWAYS ID your target, me and a mate lamped 2 sets of eyes on our estate a few years back when I was just starting out, he was teaching me (hes 38 and im 24) using his 308. Lamped 2 pairs of eyes down a track and thought it was 2 cubs out hunting, looked down the scope but couldnt ID what they where so decided to drive closer for a better look, another look down the scope.................nothing, then a torch light came on inbetween the eyes and it was a crazy woman walking 2 terriers very late at night. She was informed politely what to do and to stick to the footpaths, but this is a valueable lesson her to ALWAYS ID your target and not to pull the trigger at a set of eyes. (imagine if I would of shot the dogs).

I lamped 2 cats on one field the other night and I have had 3 foxes about 4 hours before, just goes to show again, always ID.

Most of all, happy lamping, it is vbery rewarding when pulled off right.

Thanks for the advice :good: I'm really thinking 4x4 and bipod suit me best. Is it common to lamp of sticks? I'm not sure if I'll get the shakes with foxes cause I'm not 'that' bothered? Major buck fever though! I agree not taking long shots at night,(it'll be there another night.

What filter is best to go with just the normal white? Amber?

Thanks for the advice good.gif I'm really thinking 4x4 and bipod suit me best. Is it common to lamp of sticks? I'm not sure if I'll get the shakes with foxes cause I'm not 'that' bothered? Major buck fever though! I agree not taking long shots at night,(it'll be there another night.

What filter is best to go with just the normal white? Amber?

Ive got 2 lamps, a Clulite with a spare battery and a flip up red filter for when I go our on foot, and a modified Deben 210 with Amber filter and a traffic cone front to make the beam tight and take the glare off the cab of the pickup when we go round. I have lamped, called and shot foxes on my own, I just park up on top of a hill, have a call and keep scanning, when I see where it is I get comfy on the bonnet with my bipod and let rip when I have IDENTIFIED the target and it is SAFE!

Happy shooting, how can you get buck fever but not get fox fever? I dont get buck fever much, but I get a rush everytime I nail a charlie, mind you me and my mate do get competitive and we have birds to look after!

we when lamping use a white light and dimmer gives very fast ID and round our way they see plenty of car headlights and generally doesn't fuss them. Thats when there are two if out on my own I'll spot with the lamp and call and take the shot with night vision, far easier on your own and no mod glare etc. Currently plagued with lampshy and call shy ones which is getting on my wick as I'd love to know who locally is missing them, so for those its going to be far slower and plenty of sitting out at last light and just with NV till I've cleared them up.

Happy shooting, how can you get buck fever but not get fox fever? I dont get buck fever much, but I get a rush everytime I nail a charlie, mind you me and my mate do get competitive and we have birds to look after!

Think it's purely that I really want to get the deer. Must be the antlers :lol: shot half a dozen foxes and not really had much buzz from it at all. Although one day I turned around while I was waiting for pigeons and there was a big cub about 5 yards behind me..don't know who got the bigger fright but the 12 fairly dropped him :lol:

So a dimmer is worthwhile? My clue lite has a full or 'dim' but the dim light isnt focused enough so there's no distance to the beam. I'll try and upload a pic of the lamp later to see if someone can say if it's any use or not

Edited by wildfowler.250

dimmer is very useful, they won't call in properly on a full beam, we just dim down so we can just still see the eyes to observe, then increase for the shot

Thanks Alex :good: could never decide whether it was spot fox, lamp off and then call. Or just hold lamp to the side so you can just make out the eyes and then call. Dimmer would make it much easier!