Fox,Buck,Stag and few pics.

sako751sg

Had only a few half decent days so trying to make the most of them.First was away to the hill hoping for a stag or a buck,and although there were twenty plus a couple of hundred yards over the march nothing came over to give us a shot.Turned cold and windy so held back to the Jeep just on dark and scoped a fox well oot and moving away from us so didnt bother ranging and just got doon for the shot.By this time he was sitting side on,so with the wind straight on i put the cross on the top of his heed,squeezed and through the scope watched him coup without moving an inch.Ranged him after at 306 yards and the pill had went through the heed.A nice big dog and the only one we saw.

js46_003-6.jpg

js46_004-4.jpg

Next was a straight forward buck during the rut although he was just himself.Fine morning,and nailed at less than 100 on the edge of some trees.Ran about 10 and then pegged it.

js46_006-6.jpg

Had a couple of outings to a new bit which is all trees and very rarely shot.Cracking bit but hard to get into anything with the cover and trees so sitting at a good looking spot is the best option.Didnt get anything but one day called in 3 bucks but didnt get a shot off at any.Hopefully have a better idea of the place now and maybe have it worked oot for next year.

js46_009-2.jpgjs46_014-4.jpgjs46_015-2.jpgjs46_016-4.jpg

Last Friday took Mac and his cousin Maisie back up to the hill to see if the reds were still on the go,and when we got there about 6ish in the evening there were already at least 20,including 5 mature stags oot but again off limits to us.Still good to sit and watch and a chance they would come down but unforunately they didnt.Just on dark a hind,last years calf and this years calf came oot and walked within 100 yards and it was fine for the wee lads to get a good look through the binos.Once dark came we held back to the Jeep for a kip and hoping to see the reds closer in the morning.Woke at 5 so grabbed the gat and took a walk over the brow and straight away saw a spiker and 3 ******* at the farrest away point of our ground which is over a click away but absolutely nay chance of a stalk with the wind direction,so watched for a wee while and then sacked it.Held home not long after with no shot fired but still great to see so many.

js46_019-2.jpgjs46_029-1.jpgjs46_035-1.jpgjs46_024.jpg

Back there on Thursday evening but didnt see a thing when we arrived except for a single doe,but with it being fine still expected something to show.The sun had gone down and things were nay looking promising when a single red showed in the binos over a click away where the 4 were the other morning.Thought he was a wee staggie so left the missus and Mac there and started a stalk into him.Very hard going but could nip on at that distance and had to with the light fading.The last 400 yards was oot of sight but very uphill so took it canny as the wind was light and not hiding much noise.I picked a spot where i thought i would get to that would be perfect,and right enough when i got there he was only about 100 away,but legging it so i quickly set the sticks up and got the rifle on him.Luckily he was just messing about and started feeding again,taking a wee run every now and then but going back to feeding.The bipod was a better option so whenever his heed was doon i went forward,over a fence and got down in the same park as him and from there it was pretty spot on.The next time he was side on i pulled,and a nice thump came back with the stag having a wee jump,a run of 30 yards before stopping,staggering backwards and dropping.Shot was spot on,so i dragged him down about 150,gralloched and then left him there and held back to the Jeep.Lamped through the night but not a fox was seen,although a wee stag that came from nowhere and stood beside a buck kept us amused for an hour,and then got the heed doon.On daylight the rain was lashing doon so went round to pick up the staggie and held home.Called 2 bucks with does on the way home so the rut still on,probably late due to the keech weather.

js46_003-4.jpgjs46_005-2.jpgjs46_006-4.jpgjs46_008-3.jpgjs46_001-4.jpg

thanks for sharing

Cheers John.

nice writetup :good:

Ta fella.

Brilliant write up and pics as always mate.

Do you often take the family hunting , very nice!!

Do you all manage to kip in the motor OK as I know I would be awake all night ...

Cheers fella.

The wee man comes most of the time and the missus used to all the time but not much nowadays. Fine to have Mac oot and he loves the all nighters.

The others sleep nay problem but I rarely get more than an hoor or two. Tend to lamp through the night and kip when the eyelids won't stay open,but of course if there is stuff cutting aboot in the lamp it tends to keep you awake.

great write up and pics, your vehicle looks more comfy than my land rover. :yes:

Cheers fella. Having tried sleeping in a landy plenty of times I would say the Jeep is comfier right enough.We put the doss bags and pillows in to make it better and it's nay too bad.

Edited by sako751sg

As always mate fantastic photos and nice write up!

Cheers Alex.

Nice write up, great piccies, some nice views you got up there mate.

Ta fella. Top views indeed

Great report as always.. And some cracking photos.

Look forward to other next one.

Cheers Adam.

Well done Dave!Lovely Fox,Buck,Stag and of course the lovely pics!!Great!

Cheers Mark.Good variety and nice having some of the family there too.

Top stuff Dave again fella,canny beat a gid drag wi a stuggie,especially if there's a couple ditches and fences to negotiate. :lol:

What did he weigh in at ?

Cheers Alan.Dont know aboot the drag fella,i can think of better things to do but does make it all the better.No idea of weight as i butchered him on Friday so freezered and dish oot but i was reckoning on around the 8-9 stone.Fine one for the freezer.

top stuff buddy some crackin pictures there buddy as you say the weather has been **** is the ground you are shooting a gid treck fi the hoose or do you just like roughing it in the motor you canny beat getting out shooting wi yer kids its what make an average day great well done buddy

:good: :good:

top stuff buddy some crackin pictures there buddy as you say the weather has been **** is the ground you are shooting a gid treck fi the hoose or do you just like roughing it in the motor you canny beat getting out shooting wi yer kids its what make an average day great well done buddy

:good: :good:

It's only an hourish away but it's something we have done for years,getting the evening,nights lamping and then the morning with plenty of scope. Macs been doing it since he was 3 and loves it,and he can sleep anywhere which is handy.

:good:

Ta fella.

great to see the photos

Cheers Doc.

your one cool dad lol has mac not got his own gun yet

Nay sure if Mac would agree on the cool bit fella. He's got his own shotgun and air rifle and pretty good with both.

Nice write up and pics, also like trying to spot the white ***** when out and the last pic is a classic.

Cheers fella.

Great write up and fantastic photos!!!

Ta fella.