Funeral attire

nabbers

I don't agree at all, I think it looks terrible when people turn up at funerals improperly dressed. Making the effort is part of the respect.

+1. I'd always wear a dark suit and tie unless it was specifically asked for an alternative dress code.

In the same vein, I'll always wear a suit to a wedding unless it was themed.

When a mate of mine died a few years back he specifies no suits as that were'nt his thing they even played "aways look on the bright side of life"( monty python) I've already told my Mrs that I dont want any misrable ******* at my funeral I've try to live life to the full and I want it to be a happy day.

Dave.

funny you should say that ,when my mum way dying ,my sister who is a born again catholic had a priest by her bed side and doing all the chant stuff ,they were all crying ,it was a sunday morning and we were in a sue rider home in the country side ,all i could hear was pigeons calling and i stood there singing ,always look on the bright side of life to my self, death is to morbid as it is ,but i must say i hate getting dressed up but i wore a suite as the old girl said i looked good in one ,ive told the wife if i go i want to be buried in my pat 95 camo and my motorhead t shirt

I tend to wear a pair of dark casual trousers, white shirt, black tie and a blazer to funerals these days - Which sadly seems to becomming more frequent these days.

Much I surpose depends on what the family might request but surely it is what is inside a person that counts and not what he/she wears.

As far as I am concerned when I die I couldn't care less what the people attending my funeral wear (When the time comes), the fact that they wanted to pay their respects will be good enough for me - And after all, I am not going to see what they are wearing anyhow!

A while back I wore a black tie to a funeral, but I decided not to wear one again.

It was just too sombre and mournful.

I wasn’t in mourning as such, it was a funeral and I was there to pay my respects, but I wasn’t in mourning.

That said, if you feel it’s appropriate and coveys your mood then it’s right to wear it, but I wore one because I thought convention demanded it and it was a mistake.

I guess it depends on how close you were to the deceased and also ones age – not tying to be ageist, but older gents tend to have older more formal manners, whereas younger people tend to have a more relaxed view.

I guess it’s a lot like weddings.

Some are full on formal affairs with morning suits or black/white tie. Others just require lounge suits, or smart casual.

These days I tend to wear either a dark grey suit or trousers and jacket.

I like to be well presented for the day, but (as someone mentioned) funerals these days tend to be more of a celebration of life than a mourning event.

Edited by Robl

Varies really from smart casual to dark suits.

I've been interested to see what others have said about ties: I attended a funeral recently of a member of our angling club, as i was representing the club at the funeral, i wore my angling club tie. Secondly i've attended the funeral of fellow rugby players sometimes from other clubs and i've worn my club tie(s), and finally a funeral of a friend who i met at Uni and i wore my Uni tie. Nobody has every said anything negative about this, and it can sometimes give an indication to others how you knew the deceased. Just a comment.

Tight Lines

Aled

another for black tie and dark suit unless requested other wise. Went to funeral last winter where everyone was wearing hunting/shooting gear, checked shirts and ties, wellies and boots. Quite a nice touch as the fellow that had passed was an old countryman and was always dressed that way.

Strangely enough, i went to one similar about 2 years ago, the guard of honour were all wearing shooting breeks and jackets etc, the family asked for it to be that way and of course we obliged. Couldnt think of a nicer way to be sent on my way.

AB

funny you should say that ,when my mum way dying ,my sister who is a born again catholic had a priest by her bed side and doing all the chant stuff ,they were all crying ,it was a sunday morning and we were in a sue rider home in the country side ,all i could hear was pigeons calling and i stood there singing ,always look on the bright side of life to my self, death is to morbid as it is ,but i must say i hate getting dressed up but i wore a suite as the old girl said i looked good in one ,ive told the wife if i go i want to be buried in my pat 95 camo and my motorhead t shirt

I've told my Mrs's she can bury me in woods out back, I sure as heck dont want to lay in some drafty old church yard with a load of misrable so and so, who I did get on with in the first place.!!!

I've dropped the tie for some funerals but still wear trousers and a dark shirt.

At a funeral a few years ago, his request was that everyone wore bright colours and celebrated his life. As the precession went towards the church the streets were lined with people applauding. To me, this was a much more positive way of showing respect compared to the 'normal' funeral.

Some years ago I was in a walked up shoot and one of the guns died and it was in his will to be cremated and some of his ashes loaded into cartridges and fired in a volley across his beloved moor. This was duly done after a few words from the shoot captain and it was very moving.

Edited by fern01