vectan powders

hi to all

i ,ve only just registered on the forum , but have been following various topics on pigeon watch for some time now especially the thread on homemade shot , so i thought it was time i joined up as they say

i was hoping someone could point me in the right direction ( or had any data they were willing to share ) on the question of reloading using vectan powders , as a one fingered wonder on a keyboard i,m having trouble finding vectan loading data

i was looking to use vectan A1 and AS powders to reload 28 gram and 32gram 12 bore cartridges using current production wads and cheddite cx2000 primers in old style eley olympic trap cases which are P/T cases on a MEC 650 loading press

i have just used up the last of my green dot , red dot , and unique powders so at nearly 40,00 quid a pound to replace the alliant powders ,and with vectan powders currently running at 38.00 quid a kilo for A1 & AS there is no comparrison, so i,d like to give vectan a try

who is th e best firm to buy the powder from , forget peter lawman ( i,d have more chance of an audiance with the pope ) than catching mr lawman i,ve still have had no success after 3weeks of phoning and emailing so it seems that its either clayandgame or shotgunloading.co.uk

i started loading my own back in 1984 when i bought a second hand hornady pacific 366 auto machine complete with 20 powder bushings 6 different shot bushings ,10,000 mk2 and mk3 plaswads , 4lbs of nobel 80 powder in the tin cans ( how times change ) , 350lbs of no 7 shot , 5000 empty eley olympic trap cases and 1000 winchester 209 primers , five boxes of clays and some other bits and bobs for an eye watering £ 150.00 a lot of money back then for a sixteen year old forestry worker on 40.00 quid a week .

my dad went bonkers when he found out how much i paid for it all ,its a complete waste of money boy , he said to me , and besides where in the hell did you get that kind of money from in the first place

(this was a couple of months into of the miners strike and time were tough,) though he didnt mind using them himself though for the crows and magpies durring lambing time , with the remark jesus christ those cartridges bowl those bloody crows over dont they .i was as pleased as punch with that remark . :shifty:

regards

andy

clay and game i brought 2kgs of vectan a1 last week got loads in stock

"Down loaded" some data from clay & game and most of the loads that I was interested in was for B&P m92s powders and Vectan AO, when I contacted them I was told they cannot get m92s and only had 2 half kg tubs of AO...Great big Web page but not much stock in their warehouse when you get there....always phone before you set off as they dont always have whats on their web page!!...although the chap who runs it is very Helpful.

Guest cookoff013

"Down loaded" some data from clay & game and most of the loads that I was interested in was for B&P m92s powders and Vectan AO, when I contacted them I was told they cannot get m92s and only had 2 half kg tubs of AO...Great big Web page but not much stock in their warehouse when you get there....always phone before you set off as they dont always have whats on their web page!!...although the chap who runs it is very Helpful.

thats a problem with clay and game, they are selling you data for powders you cannot get. i just dont get the point, some of the information doesnt even have pressure data. it does say conforms to the CIP. but i`m more than sure they can publish anything with very little come-back

Guest cookoff013

I can supply A1, AO, AS at £24 + Vat in 1/2 Kg tubs

at those prices it actually is economical to use the american stuff. especially at sub 18 grains per charge. there is a severe difference in powder prices, as one place sells for nearly £50 a kilo

another for £20 per 1/2kg.

-prices are getting silly.

£60 for a kilo of GM3?

what is the world coming to?

Not a problem at all, that is today's price from Lyalvale /Express.

Obviously if we can all get powders cheaper that are good and usable then please post the details here.

Where do you get your supplies from sitsinhedges?

I usually use Peter Lawman, he actually answers his phone to me :yay:

Not too far from me either and will even call round with stuff too to save me a journey :good:

He's a good old boy in my book but I know others have struggled with him.

I usually use Peter Lawman, he actually answers his phone to me :yay:

Not too far from me either and will even call round with stuff too to save me a journey :good:

He's a good old boy in my book but I know others have struggled with him.

A wee sideline for you there,taking peoples orders buying it from Mr Lawman and then actually post it out as he seems to have lost the ability to do it himself.

Maybe a wee sideline for you,why not buy from him

please correct me if my maths is wrong but that works out at £ 57.60 a kilo thats way to dear for me too , £ 39.00 a kilo and thats including VAT at clayandgame when i enquired this afternoon , but thanks for the enquiry anyway

andy

Hafod,

Yes that is correct, so it just goes to show how we are all being ripped off???? The price I quoted £24 + Vat was the price from Express / Lyalvale, yesterdays price list.

As I said in an earlier post, you would think that we would share information and contacts on this site to the benefit of us all. But No.

Apart from a personal email from Mick Shaw & Blaser F3 I have not received one recipe for 28gauge reloading . There must be more than three of us reloading 28gauge fibre wadded cartridges???

Guest cookoff013

Hafod,

Yes that is correct, so it just goes to show how we are all being ripped off? ??? The price I quoted £24 + Vat was the price from Express / Lyalvale, yesterdays price list.

As I said in an earlier post, you would think that we would share information and contacts on this site to the benefit of us all. But No.

Apart from a personal email from Mick Shaw & Blaser F3 I have not received one recipe for 28gauge reloading . There must be more than three of us reloading 28gauge fibre wadded cartridges???

salopian, allow me to give you some advice.

if you are adament to use a fibre wadded 28gauge, i can give you a suggestion. find the hottest pressure cartridge that is safe to load for your gun. saami specs are 12500psi, and that is alot of pressure to play around with, find a cartridge that has the highest pressure and load that with fibre. find a recipe with hot primers too. do not add 10% extra powder. do not change case or primer.

you will have to work out what fibre height to use, i can suggest using hodgdon longshot.

http://www.siarm.it/

also try hodgdons website.

the data is there just go for the hottest pressure.

what payload are you wanting?

you can use tecna, SP2, and a whole bunch of others..... just find the plastic data thats hot on pressure.

Hafod,

Yes that is correct, so it just goes to show how we are all being ripped off???? The price I quoted £24 + Vat was the price from Express / Lyalvale, yesterdays price list.

I have gained a few recipies on here for plastic wads and only the one 12g fibre which I think is the one refered to in another post. I have 12g powder specific data with velocities and pressure if anyone needs a leg up.

The powders are Greendot and Universal.

I also have WAD specific.data again with velocity and pressure details

trap commander 12 and helix cushion driver 18 HCD18 and the piston skeet 12.

Lastly I have a data sheet from Fiocchi using the now obsolete VP13 wads. These have been replaced with BP PT1232 and I beleive also PT13?

This data again is specific to Fiocchi hulls and fio616 primers but using the following powders

clays

titewad

700x

reddot

solo1000

Greendot

e3

Am-select

800x

Longshot

hs6

Pb

solo1250

Unique.

I dont have a prob if people want this data I can photograph the docs and post them.

As for powder suppliers I am in the same boat! I am still sifting through the internet trying to find the cheapest supplier. I did find titewad around £28 iirc and the AO the same but am sure that was 1/2kg tubs.

I would appreciate hdlp with cheapest powder whereabouts :good:

Thanks

Edited by Lord Geordie

hi salopian

sorry i cannot be of any help , on the subject of loading for the 28 bore , i myself only reload for 12,bore 410 and .222 rifle .

i can however help if anyone wants some data on nobel 80 and 82 powders ( not a great amount but they could help someone out ) in 4,8.10,12,16,20 bores that i got from david garrard many moons ago they are also INCLUDED in his book :CARTRIDGE LOADING ISBN 0 85242 659 3 thats if the book is still in print though if anyones interested as some people still seem have stocks of nobel 80 & 82 powders on hand (lucky lucky people lol ) ,

so on the subject of sharing prices on powder i,ll throw my hat in the ring and say that the cheapest places i,ve found so far for vectan A1 & AS are clayandgame and shotgunreloading @ £39.00 and £38.00 per kilo respectively ,peter lawman is undoubtly the cheapest but thats if you can get in touch with him of coarse .

andy