Pheasants ripped apart in pen

What are your thoughts!? They have been in about A month a month and a half! This happened couple o wks ago! Also alot of feather at pop holes as if something is being dragged out? I have my own ideas but would like to see what you guys think?

Ignore Hutchies answer ! why would a red kite try to drag them through the pop hole ??? I would put the money on a 4 legged culprit for shure !.

Edited by Pole Star

Will find out more info 2 Moro the keeper just said ripped apart, fox cub tend to just give them a squeeze and kill for fun from my past experience, Tony owl normally heads pulled off! This is a new shoot for me but keeper rekons a badger or a mink! Traps set nothing been caught? Time will tell

Excuse the posts there was a big hole dug under the netting ! I've just been informed ! I never caught him right when on the phone to him! Anyway it could be anything with a hole in the pen ! I think it's been a bit of both! Hole been patched but still feather at pop holes ! Traps down, one sprung this morning but empty ! Do minks hunt in pairs ?

Nowhere for a fox to get in, just txt him, all this happened in one night some ripped to pieces and some eaten ! But can't understand these birds should be up trees by now !! For roosting! None buried, nothing been back since !

Have you got any Pinemartens in your area ? if they were taken from the trees while roosting perhaps that is the culprit ? but I know little about em but is that a possibility ? :hmm:

Should be up in the trees ! If disturbed whilst roosting they often come down then stay on the ground especially if wet !

How old are they ? How bigs the pen ?

Horrible to find .

Mink sound viable fox and cubs would move them until disturbed and cats can do it and will come back feral or pet if close by.

John.

Have you got any Pinemartens in your area ? if they were taken from the trees while roosting perhaps that is the culprit ? but I know little about em but is that a possibility ? :hmm:

Other possibility as you have found a hole under the fence is that you have been visited by more than one species of predator :hmm: .

If you have more than one or two kills then blame a fox as 90% of the time you will be right :eh:

knew a case last year when a fox got in a pen and killed a 100 or so (a fraction of the birds in the pen). nothing for a few nights then 25 killed, same next night 25 killed, third evening two big hedgehogs were removed from the pen as they emerged at dusk, no more kills after that.